Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cost of Sky Set to Rise

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well gents, its the primary source of entertainment in the home. I regularly watch the Premiere's on the movie channels as well as the others, and the sports coverage is second to none. The HD picture is beautiful. The recording facility is brilliant. The Anytime is a marvel. Its a TOP NOTCH all-round product.

Admittedly the sports hasn't had much of a look-in this summer so if I could be arsed I should've switched it off. But it only sowes the seeds of a row with the missus when I want it back on, so best to leave it. Be nice if it was cheaper, but I don't really notice it, so I let Rupert pillage my account accordingly. Its just another bill amongst the boring stuff, at least I get enjoyment from this.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Wise words.
I pay £58 per month for Sky HD (movies and sports). I would happily pay £100 a month, so a couple of quid here or there makes no difference whatsoever to me. I'd only waste it on Haribos anyway, and unlike Sky, they give me the shits.

I have multiroom on top of that which means in September I will be potentially be paying £71.50 pm (£61.50 if the HD tax is removed)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I can't believe a couple of you think £58 is excessive. It's £15 a week, or five pints. Or three packets of cigarettes. Or a couple of trips to KFC. It's nothing when you consider it's hours of entertainment for anyone of any age.

Well excuse me if I DON'T drink FIVE pints EVERY week, smoke cigarettes OR visit KFC.

And at any rate, I'd certainly not forfeit a few after work beers with my mates in favour a £60 wedge coming off my debit card at the end of each month so I can watch some extra telly.

You're being pretty elitist there Badger. What might not seem much to you is actually a bit of a big deal to some people. £700 a year could get me insured on a Ferrari. It could also buy me a very decent holiday or two lesser, still decent holidays a year

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They tried to ply me with that. Not fussed about having Sky upstairs though.
The multiroom is for R M Taylor and the £10 monthly charge is part of his board and lodgings money.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I wish I could cancel Sky Sports. But its so damn good, and what with the Ryder Cup on the horizon as well...and I've got the movies, so its not even worth having one without the other really.

Damn you murdoch. Damn you.

Sanp in this house too...

Damn, damn damn...

Where is the line, £60 a month? £70 a month? £80 a month? Hmmmmm

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I can't believe a couple of you think £58 is excessive. It's £15 a week, or five pints. Or three packets of cigarettes. Or a couple of trips to KFC. It's nothing when you consider it's hours of entertainment for anyone of any age.

I guess it boils down to what you think is entertainment. I'd stuggle to find more than ten hours a week of TV that I actually was interested and wanted to watch as opposed to watching because I have paid for it.

I've lost interest in watching sport on the box. Overkill on that front.

So really, I am passing opinion from personal feelings and everyone is different. I don't like the idea of sitting around the TV. It's quite anti-social. Most of my friends are the direct opposite and I am a nightmare guest if they wish to watch something on TV. No talking... :bla: Maybe my company is not up to scratch and they revert to the TV :down: Don't get me started on 'gaming' and career gamers.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Personally I don't like paying to watch the tv. Problem is I don't have enough money to tour the world watching sport live as would be our preference...

Guess when I'm loaded it wont matter :lol: although I think I'll still object to paying for sitting on my bum in front of a tv...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They were showing a Iron man triathlon race from 2006 earlier.
Not missing that sort of stuff even for 100 sovs a month.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But Easy, I happen to know for a FACT that you have a PS3. I mean, come on, be fair...

This is true. I do sometimes wish there was about 39 hours in the day, as believe it or not I DO also have a social life away from TV screens and monitors. Hot summer days drag me out of the house, and out about or in the garden. In truth, my PS3 has hardly been on for the last 3 months. And then theres Tiger on the Wii.

I actually look forward to some shitty weather so I can catch up with this stuff.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
But I bet you do enjoy SOMETHING that costs £15 a week that, if you're honest, you don't really need to do?

In fairness my outgoings are pretty low as I don't earn a lot of money, however if I do have a few spare quid then I'll have a few beers with my mates and every now and then I might get a new computer game.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what you're saying, but I find it a lot easier to deal with things on a cost per item basis (such as one pint at lunch on Friday and one new game for the PS3 every few months when something good comes out). I hate being tied to subscriptions that raid your bank account every month. It's bad enough having to find the money to pay the electric, the gas, the mobile, the council tax and the broadband - which are all essentials. If I want luxuries then they come out of a different budget I call "as and when"

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That's fair enough. You've obviously got to be in a position to afford it, but once you are I don't see it as a massive issue. If you have a carefree approach to money then it's really not going to cause any sleepless nights. I agree with you about subscriptions though. I recently cancelled five direct debits/standing orders for things I've been paying for each month without even using or knowing I even had anymore. With them I could have bought a subscription to Sky!

I spoke to someone at my bank today for some basic administrative bill payment shit and he told me I was better off cancelling all my Direct Debits, not just for my own good, but for theirs too as it makes life easier and cheaper all round. Companies like Sky and BT etc. all love the idea of having access to your bank account as and when they want your money but the problem is people get used to this and dish out their bank details willy nilly far too often, which is when problems start arising.

They'll tell you DD is the ONLY option or that you get a discount for paying that way BUT as soon as you offer them cold hard cash they soon shut up and take your money. It just means remembering to make your payments. But in this day and age of Outlook, Gmail, smartphones and Remember The Milk: Online to do list and task management etc. what's the excuse?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
t I just think that Sky are absolutely fantastic because a) they offer so much and b) cover it so well. Using sport as the example, their coverage is in a different world to anything the BBC or ITV could conjure up. And that's before you get to the other 200 channels.

Fair enough but APART form sport, what exactly do they contribute?

Drama? No
Documentaries that are interesting? No
Unbiased news reporting? No
Comedy? No

I'll stick to MoTD on a Saturday night, the iPlayer and Dave on Freeview. As for the Premiership, after what's happened in South Africa the Emperor's New Clothes have been well and truly removed in terms of how great our football is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here