Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations George Dubya Bush

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Bush is KING! He secretly likes Bin Laden as he has won him the popular vote.

Long live Bush, Bin Laden and Taco Bell

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
caz99 said:
its not over till the fat lady sings. they cannot claim victory yet as votes are still being counted. if they discard those votes its a disgrace.

They are not discarding those votes.

Ohio will decide it and Bush is leading by 130,000 votes with 99.9% of the wards having reported in.

Even though there are 170,000 Provisional votes, Kerry would have to win nearly all of them to take the state of Ohio..which he wont.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
bring back clinton is what i say but that was another american farce:nono:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Richie Morris said:
They are not discarding those votes.

Ohio will decide it and Bush is leading by 130,000 votes with 99.9% of the wards having reported in.

Even though there are 170,000 Provisional votes, Kerry would have to win nearly all of them to take the state of Ohio..which he wont.

your assuming he wont, in which case i hope he does and pisses on your bonfire. there are 20 electoral seats up for grabs

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Richie Morris said:

My tip? Hilary Clinton to run in four years.

Don't put it in the fanzine though, can't be a tip if people only get to read it after the event.

BOOM BOOM;)

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
CrabtreeBHA said:
so if one person agrees with Bush one one topic he should vote for him? what if he disagrees on several other topics...what then?
US people are voting on Religion in many cases ad Bush knows this because he played that card during the build up "God will see us through" and shit like that...it happens, people blindly vote!

To be perfectly honest I would be amazed if anybody knew exactly what makes people vote the way they do, but generally it will be a combination of a few factors mostly revolving around which of the candidates matches their beliefs and desires. democracy involves people making a judgement call as to which candidate and party they support as it is rare that beliefs will match exactly.

Bush is a religious person and for many in the US, particualrly in the Mid-West that is important. In California people are generally more liberal and Bush's arcane views on gay relationships etc means that he didnt stand a hope in hell of winning there.

I agree though that people do blindly vote but would you rather we all live in a dictatorship. Democracy - the worst form of government but for all the rest.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
skitz said:
Just to clarify - is your whole argument a few words of abuse, or have you actually got a valid reason for our soldiers to be risking their lives for American oil?

I was talking about your "haven't got the intelligence/guts to stand up and say no." comment. These people are serving their country and doing what they think is right. My mate is risking his life out there, him and his comrades have more guts than you will ever have. How dare you even think this? Prick.
:angry:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Current projections give Mr Bush 254 Electoral College votes and Senator Kerry 252.

But the votes are too close to call in Ohio and two other states.

In Iowa, problems with vote-counting machines in two small counties will delay results for at least one day.

New Mexico is also undeclared for either candidate.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Im just waiting for all the Bush bashers to start saying this was another undemocratic vote and find ways he cheated.

I dont think Kerry deserves to be President. He would have been elected not on his own merits, but against Bush's. This was a referendum on Bush and he seems to have come through it.

What the Democrats (and democracy) needs is a decent candidate. Hilary Clinton would give Bush a run for his money.

Smithers-Jones

Mar 26, 2004
Eltham
Meade's_Ball said:
They obviously have a lot more self-control, if that is the right word, than i have.

Is that sense of duty to the army and country something that is there beforehand, or something drilled in so that things don't fall apart?

I'm interested to understand the mentality.

Well for starters, we don't have conscription here! That means that everybody in the forces is there because they want to be. That makes a huge difference when trying to maintain discipline. The sense of duty is drilled into you,to some extent, it is what all that bullshit and beasting is all about. Some people think that the emphasis in being smart is a load of crap. To a soldier it is installing the self discipline to keep yourself clean and tidy, thereby reducing the risk of infection and illness whilst on active duty. Not just to look good on Trooping the colour!!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Easy 10 said:

(cue the melodramatic "Its The End Of The World If Bush Gets In" posts).

:)

I do honestly think that though. The damage he does will be irreparable. And it scares and depresses me thinking about it. No doubt i'll become mobilised once i re-inflate myself, but for now i want to fling mud and wallow.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Richie Morris said:
Im just waiting for all the Bush bashers to start saying this was another undemocratic vote and find ways he cheated.

I dont think Kerry deserves to be President. He would have been elected not on his own merits, but against Bush's. This was a referendum on Bush and he seems to have come through it.

What the Democrats (and democracy) needs is a decent candidate. Hilary Clinton would give Bush a run for his money.

kerry has been elected by the american people as the right person for president on his own merits. i dont think the majority of the americans saw it as referendum. the rest of the world has done

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Kerry failed to stamp his personality on the campaign and was seen very much as the anti Bush vote.

Did you see the Question Time with Michael Moore et al? It was nearly all about Bush and whether he is right or wrong. Hardly a mention of Kerry and his policy.

skitz

Feb 24, 2004
Easy 10 said:
I make a completely general remark about the possibility a proportion of people blindly voting for "anyone but Bush", regardless as to who they are voting in, and so along with The Gospel According to Skitz, I am now Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeldt rolled into one, with my tongue so far up Bush's arse I can taste what he had for breakfast.

Whatever. I really couldn't give a flying f*** at a rolling donut WHO wins the election. I'll still be sat here at work tomorrow, I'll still have a season ticket, the sun will still rise, the world will go on.

(cue the melodramatic "Its The End Of The World If Bush Gets In" posts).

You made an uninformed, ridiculous argument in suggesting that Bush getting in is "better the devil you know" for the Americans.

How can you not "give a flying f***" about how wins this election? What would need to happen for you to stand up and be counted? Would the power to your office need to be cut off because of the unsustainable energy demands of the world? Would you need to lose your job because of the faltering economy? Would a great big bomb need to land somewhere near Sussex? Would your home need to be flooded or more and more Albion games need to be called off due to the extreme climate change we are facing as a direct result of Bush's outrageous disregard for the ecosystem that sustains us all?

Now. I kind of understand the compulsion to f*** it off and just worry about your football team and whether there's enough beer in the fridge because there's nothing you can do about it. I wish I knew of more stuff I could do, but as far as I can see this kind of corruption has been going on for hundreds of years and is not likely to change. I say we tear the whole fucker down and start again. Trouble is, I don't even know how to start doing that.

I despair for the world, I do. It's not just Bush and his cronies, and the Saudis, and whoever else - it often looks like we've reached (note, not 'are approaching') an unsustainable position as a species. Most days I'm just wondering which of the half billion possible disasters that will f*** us all up for good will happen first. If you want to bury your head in the sand and call people who see it coming 'melodramatic' then, again, I can deal with that.

We always think that the status quo isn't going to change, that we're going to live out the rest of our lives in a cultural stasis. Not gonna happen. The people who lived through WWII probably thought exactly the same until their world fell apart. However, if you at least keep an eye on world affairs you might have a chance of seeing things coming. Of course you might not. Never forget, we are quite evidently living in an unsustainable situation - I'm sure if I, like Michael Moore or whoever, had the time I could construct a whole dossier of information proving this. What are we going to do when the oil runs out? What are we going to do when our entire generation gets old and find our pensions are f***ed cause the world economy can't sustain us, or if we didn't have pensions cause there was no point for the same reason? What are we going to do when someone lets rip with a dirty bomb in our seat of government? What are we going to do when an asteroid big enough to do some real damage falls somewhere 'important'? What are we going to do when our overuse of antibiotics causes some biblical plague that really can't be stopped - MRSA is a monster of a disease, and it's only pure luck that it's transmission vectors are quite limiting for it. The list goes on.

I don't have a clue, but I'm pretty sure it's coming, whatever it is. So, yeah, maybe I should "get off my high horse" and forget about it, but I reckon that at the end of the day, for all our faults, humanity have managed some pretty amazing feats that make us worth fighting for - in a world where the fate of our entire species is decided by a tiny handful of people, yeah, I think they should be fully accountable for all of their actions.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
As previously mentioned, Kerry looks too much like a horse and nobody believes a talking horse now do they (except Mr ED)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Leave East 10 alone.

Obviously he cares who wins but it has happened and there is nothing we can do about it.

The American people have elected who the American people want in power.

Life goes on.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Is anybody finding it slightly confusing regarding the claim that Ohio is close. With all votes (not including the provisional ballots) counted Bush is 140,000 ahead. Quite a large amount and assuming there are about 200,000 of these provisionals to be counted that would need a vote of about 85% inKerry's favour for him to win.

Having a quick glance through some of the other states that the Dems have won there are many smaller majorities than found in Ohio. Pennsylvania (21 college votes 120,000 maj) Washington (10 college votes, 120,000 maj) Wisconsin (10 votes and a 12,000 maj). I think the Democrats need to resign themselves to an honourable defeat and pick a decent candidate for four years time. Prediction Hilary Clinton v John McCain

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Richie Morris said:
I dont think Kerry deserves to be President. He would have been elected not on his own merits, but against Bush's.
That was EXACTLY my point Richie :clap:

I'm not a fan of Bush, and I hardly know anything about Kerry (or whether he deserves to be President or not). But the anyone-but-Bush brigade are out there in number, and I'm not convinced they all know what they're voting for. They get the "Bush Out" blinkers on, and nothing else matters.

A change for changes sake is not always a change for the better. And no, that doesn't mean I want Bush to stay in office, just that I'd be cautious about hailing John Kerry as some shining light who will restore peace and stability to the world.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Smithers-Jones said:
Well for starters, we don't have conscription here! That means that everybody in the forces is there because they want to be. That makes a huge difference when trying to maintain discipline. The sense of duty is drilled into you,to some extent, it is what all that bullshit and beasting is all about. Some people think that the emphasis in being smart is a load of crap. To a soldier it is installing the self discipline to keep yourself clean and tidy, thereby reducing the risk of infection and illness whilst on active duty. Not just to look good on Trooping the colour!!

Couldn't we view poverty as a form of conscription?

There's no way i could handle it in the army. I'd be that fat one that gets bullied all the time and ends up going mad with a machete.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here