Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congestion charge in Brighton & Hove

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
re the point about spending £20 pounds for a bus ticket for a family. There is an 'explorer' ticket which costs £15 pounds for a family of two adults and two children which can be used on any bus in Sussex and Surrey for a day. Its not widely advertised or even widely known by bus drivers in Brighton & Hove.
I'm not sure how practical that is for everyday use; most people just want to go from A to B and back again rather than going via C, D and E as well. I'd be more interested if they'd offer £1.80 singles and £2 returns

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
re the point about spending £20 pounds for a bus ticket for a family. There is an 'explorer' ticket which costs £15 pounds for a family of two adults and two children which can be used on any bus in Sussex and Surrey for a day. Its not widely advertised or even widely known by bus drivers in Brighton & Hove.

I didn't know that - I've never seen it advertised.

Thanks for the tip

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not sure how practical that is for everyday use; most people just want to go from A to B and back again rather than going via C, D and E as well. I'd be more interested if they'd offer £1.80 singles and £2 returns

I'd like them to offer both properly priced day savers and properly priced A to B tickets.

A return trip into town costs £3.60 (all right, £3 if bought in advance) but that's quite a lot

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One of the interesting things about park and ride schemes is that they are most successful in bustling cities with a thriving tourist trade - York, Oxford, Durham, for example.

The argument that p&r would "kill Brighton's economy" is nonsense being put around by people who are dogmatic opponents of any measure that restricts motoring.

You might want to see the responses on the Argus web page covering this story. If their responses are anything to go by, you'd think it was the end of tourism in Brighton as we know it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
having not lived in Brighton for nearly 7 years personally I think it would be bad
but will say this when you have to wait at St Peter's church for nearly an hour because of people coming into the yellow box on a SUNDAY morning then something just HAS to be done

And Brighton station. You can't get directly from Fiveways to the station.
Back in the early 1980s, there was the old Corporation Bus route 7 that ran every 20 minutes from Hollingdean to Brighton Station, via Five Ways. We (that's the council and the bus company) did a survey of use of this service and found that from 8am until 11pm there were less than 10 passengers ALL DAY using the bus to travel to the station. The service was withdrawn and replaced by the new route 50 which went the quick way to Churchill Square (every 10 minutes). Total passenger numbers from the Hollingdean area went up by 20 per cent.

The truth is that the overwhelming majority of people in Brighton and Hove want to travel to and from the city centre by direct, fast, frequent, reliable services. Cross-town routes and frequent routes from all over town to places like the RSCH could be introduced or reinstated. But without substantial subsidy, this would have to be at the cost of cutting the frequency of the direct city centre routes that most people want to see improved, or at least maintained at their current level.

This focus on better, direct services to the city centre is one of the reasons why, almost uniquely outside London, the number of bus passengers in Brighton and Hove has increased enormously over the past 15 years.

Make your mind up ... do you want a bus route that goes direct from (A - Five Ways) to (B - Churchill Square) or do you want one that goes via (C - Seven Dials) and (D - Brighton Station)?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Back in the early 1980s, there was the old Corporation Bus route 7 that ran every 20 minutes from Hollingdean to Brighton Station, via Five Ways. We (that's the council and the bus company) did a survey of use of this service and found that from 8am until 11pm there were less than 10 passengers ALL DAY using the bus to travel to the station. The service was withdrawn and replaced by the new route 50 which went the quick way to Churchill Square (every 10 minutes). Total passenger numbers from the Hollingdean area went up by 20 per cent.

The truth is that the overwhelming majority of people in Brighton and Hove want to travel to and from the city centre by direct, fast, frequent, reliable services. Cross-town routes and frequent routes from all over town to places like the RSCH could be introduced or reinstated. But without substantial subsidy, this would have to be at the cost of cutting the frequency of the direct city centre routes that most people want to see improved, or at least maintained at their current level.

This focus on better, direct services to the city centre is one of the reasons why, almost uniquely outside London, the number of bus passengers in Brighton and Hove has increased enormously over the past 15 years.
I wonder what the numbers would be now when, as you say, there's been an increase in the number of bus passengers? And wouldn't you call Brighton station part of the 'city centre'? Especially if you want to try and have an integrated transport system. The 26 that currently terminates at Churchill Square could easily go up to the station.

Anyway, as you say buses can't cover all the routes that people want to travel and at all the times they want. I dunno, if only we had our own personal means of transport we wouldn't have to rely on buses being provided on sparsely-used routes ...

The price varies, depending on where you buy the ticket. It only costs £14 if you buy it on a Brighton & Hove bus.

Brighton Hove Bus and Coach Company: Tickets Online: Explorer

Or you can buy one from Stagecoach East Kent for £10.

East Kent - Tickets valid on buses run by other companies

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Make your mind up ... do you want a bus route that goes direct from (A - Five Ways) to (B - Churchill Square) or do you want one that goes via (C - Seven Dials) and (D - Brighton Station)?
I think you may have misunderstood me (deliberately or otherwise). The rover tickets offer unlimited travel so that you can go from A to B to C and so on. In other words you can get on and off as many buses as many times as you like. For practical purposes in Brighton that is irrelevant. I only want to go into town and come back again, I do not want a ticket that gives me unlimited travel, what I want is a cheap return. Currently the choice seems to be one way or unlimited - and whereas I can see the advantages from the bus company's point of view neither of those meet my needs.

I also think that most people who go TO somewhere in a bus ultimately want to come back FROM that place again. Selling singles and saying it's 'only' £1.80 is a bit of a cheek because they're only quoting you the price for half your total journey. However as they're a private company looking to maximise their revenue I understand the reasoning behind it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The price varies, depending on where you buy the ticket. It only costs £14 if you buy it on a Brighton & Hove bus.

Brighton Hove Bus and Coach Company: Tickets Online: Explorer

Or you can buy one from Stagecoach East Kent for £10.

East Kent - Tickets valid on buses run by other companies

My brother and his family (2 adults, 3 children one aged below 2) were thinking of going to East Grinstead on Friday from Shoreham. What would be the cheapest way of doing this on the bus and where should they buy their tickets from?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My brother and his family (2 adults, 3 children one aged below 2) were thinking of going to East Grinstead on Friday from Shoreham. What would be the cheapest way of doing this on the bus and where should they buy their tickets from?

Probably get a Family Railcard, take train to Three Bridges (have to change at Brighton or Haywards Heath), then bus. I think there are about two buses an hour to Grinstead from there, but if you are used to Brighton frequencies, beware. I'm not sure if the 270 or 770 (never used it, so don't know the number) still goes all the way from Brighton to East Grinstead, but the train/bus option would be much quicker. There is a bus from Haywards Heath to East Grinstead (possibly the 770), which goes via Horsted Keynes and Chelwood Gate, but I don't think it's that frequent. There may be a Plus Bus add-on from Three Bridges, so your brother could get it all on one ticket. Best to ask Southern or look on their website.

Last edited:

According to the traveline southeast website, the quickest journey is this:-

Shoreham - Haywards Heath by train (leave Shoreham at 1014; arrive Haywards Heath at 1035)

Haywards Heath - East Grinstead by Metrobus bus 270 (leave Perrymount Road, Haywards Heath at 1112; arrive at East Grinstead at 1152)

I make that 1 hour 38 minutes.

That's certainly the shortest and quickest public transport route (with only one change). It will be the cheapest.

If you want to go by bus all the way, get into Brighton and catch the Countryliner Bus 40X from Stop D on the Old Steine to the Princess Royal Hospital, Haywards Heath and then the Metrobus Bus 270 from the PRH, Haywards Heath. Journey time is 1 hour 42 minutes from Brighton to East Grinstead.

Play around with traveline south and east (SE) - trip request - English to get some more exciting options (including opportunities to find yourself stuck in Croydon on the way).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
According to the traveline southeast website, the quickest journey is this:-

Shoreham - Haywards Heath by train (leave Shoreham at 1014; arrive Haywards Heath at 1035)

Haywards Heath - East Grinstead by Metrobus bus 270 (leave Perrymount Road, Haywards Heath at 1112; arrive at East Grinstead at 1152)

I make that 1 hour 38 minutes.

That's certainly the shortest and quickest public transport route (with only one change). It will be the cheapest.

If you want to go by bus all the way, get into Brighton and catch the Countryliner Bus 40X from Stop D on the Old Steine to the Princess Royal Hospital, Haywards Heath and then the Metrobus Bus 270 from the PRH, Haywards Heath. Journey time is 1 hour 42 minutes from Brighton to East Grinstead.

Play around with traveline south and east (SE) - trip request - English to get some more exciting options (including opportunities to find yourself stuck in Croydon on the way).

Cool. Thanks. After he's done in East Grinstead he's thinking of moving onto Hastings. Any thoughts on this?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I worked in Ipswich a couple of years ago and they had a P & R scheme that everybody used. They had 4 with 1 in the N S W E of the town and operated from 7.00am until 8.00pm and a ticket was £5 per day £20 per week and I think £70 per month but this provided unlimited travel on the bus for all occupants of the car ie 4 people travelling to and from work could get into work everyday for £20 (£5 each per week or £1 per day). The buses were very busy and I used it to go to the bank because the parking charges were £1 per 5 minutes with a 1 hour maximum = £12 hence nobody drove into the town or at least very few. A similar system would ease the conjestion but not raise money for the council. So the choice is what do you want to do ease the conjestion or raise cash?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here