Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Confirmation Vicente has signed! [Season 1: 2011]

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Maybe he is willing to take a pay cut and put himself in the English shop window for a season. But wow what a season that could be for us if he stays fit.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
alzo82 alzo82
vicente to brighton??? lol has someone spiked my vindaloo with crack?? im blown away by this he was world class a couple of years ago

:lolol:

vcffan01

Aug 31, 2011
In fact, if I remember correctly, the team was 3rd after the game against Espanyol: 2 goals by Zigic thanks to 2 crosses by Vicente. And Mata had fear of not going to the World Cup for not playing the last 2 months as started and asked Emery to play him as started in one for the following games. If was all over the press that Del Bosque could leave Mata out of the squad.

I checked, and he started 3 games during that period, v Bilbao, Deportivo and Mallorca.

I'd hardly call it displacing Mata though, Mata was still better than him that season bar none.

Overall, Vicente has been a bench player for Valencia for god knows how many years.

He did well v Espanyol, but still he never impressed regularly for us and was no where near Mata's level consistently.

vcffan01

Aug 31, 2011
Brilliant, innit?

To think, it's not that long since our 'big' transfer excitement was the will he/won't he over Chris sodding Holroyd.

How times have changed....

Don't let this make you think he's actually on Mata's level mind. :D

He's never played regularly for so long now, that Valencia fans don't really know how good he is anymore. That's to do with injuries and players ahead of him.

He came on alot as a bench player in 2009 and did well, but the past two seasons...he's had very little minutes.

If i was to review his career post 2004, when he was probably the best winger in the World:

2005: Would of been class, but bad injury in the Champions League cost him this season.

2006: Still class, had many good performances but again injured a few times. :(

2007: Started well, but again injured.

2008: I can't recall, bad season for Valencia though.

2009: His most fit season of recent times, played many minutes but mostly off the bench...but did well when he came on.

2010 and 2011: No one knows really, these past two seasons has seen a mixture of injuries and Emery not liking him, that he hasn't featured as much.

Last edited:

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I'm going to say it.

I'm not really bothered about him signing. We've got good enough wingers already, would of much rather Poyet spent the day trying to sign a striker than an expensive sicknote. Don't get me wrong it would be flair to sign a player like this, I just can't see any need for it.

vcffan01

Aug 31, 2011
If he stays fit, he really should take the Championship by storm.

He's still a player good enough for a mid-table team in one of the Big 3 Leagues, he's too good for The Championship.

Either way, i shall be taking a keen eye on Brighton now... Vicente is still loved and adored by Valencia fans for what he did in the early 2000s.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

He's still a player good enough for a mid-table team in one of the Big 3 Leagues, he's too good for The Championship.

Either way, i shall be taking a keen eye on Brighton now... Vicente is still loved and adored by Valencia fans for what he did in the early 2000s.

That says it all really, brilliant signing for a championship club, which we are, and if he helps us get up to the Premier league, stays fit and gets the game time needed, then we also have a player who is good enough for the Premier League.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

Thanks for your posts today very interesting and welcome to NSC and the wonderful world of Brighton. :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here