Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comments from Saints Fans on local paper site...

I'm not "belittling everyone". This is the problem with you Brighton fans (on here anyway), you are so blinkered it's unreal. Your lot were going on about thinking of Southampton as a "plucky little club", "doing the small clubs proud", mocking our old stadium, etc etc. Then when I have the temerity to respond, suddenly "all Southampton fans belittle everyone". Well what about the people I was responding to? What were they doing if not belittling? Same with the Adkins thing. He says "if they can keep with us", a relatively innocent response to a question asking whether the title race will be between you and us, and suddenly he is the devil incarnate. Your manager calls us "Dagenham & Redbridge with a decent striker", yet according to your fellow fans he's "kind, gracious and classy". I know all fans wear tinted spectacles but you lot take it to another level.

As for the other stuff: having one team nearby means you have to fabricate rivalries with us and Palace and Crawley and Portsmouth, whereas we have a genuine, historic rival to hate. How is that in any way a bad thing? And think about it, you get smaller attendances than us despite being so isolated! ;-) We are also close to London, our economy is focussed on a similar area, and we have far more history than you'll ever have. Saying that though, Brighton is indeed a great city.

I have to agree with most of that, and not having disdain, jealousy or any focussed admiration for Saints - it's pretty accurate.

The only things I can see to have any issue with, is the part about having "far more history than we'll ever have". I mean you HAVE to know that was a poor (ludicrous in fact) statement in every respect. You aren't able to know how much 'history' we "will ever have", and we all have history so how can you have more?

The asides about being 'small clubs/plucky' isn't anything to be unhappy about - when we beat a ManCity or United or Chelsea etc, we are going to get that. If Wolves down Manure, they will get it - and their history in the top division goes way back

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm not "belittling everyone". This is the problem with you Brighton fans (on here anyway), you are so blinkered it's unreal. Your lot were going on about thinking of Southampton as a "plucky little club", "doing the small clubs proud", mocking our old stadium, etc etc. Then when I have the temerity to respond, suddenly "all Southampton fans belittle everyone". Well what about the people I was responding to? What were they doing if not belittling? Same with the Adkins thing. He says "if they can keep with us", a relatively innocent response to a question asking whether the title race will be between you and us, and suddenly he is the devil incarnate. Your manager calls us "Dagenham & Redbridge with a decent striker", yet according to your fellow fans he's "kind, gracious and classy". I know all fans wear tinted spectacles but you lot take it to another level.

As for the other stuff: having one team nearby means you have to fabricate rivalries with us and Palace and Crawley and Portsmouth, whereas we have a genuine, historic rival to hate. How is that in any way a bad thing? And think about it, you get smaller attendances than us despite being so isolated! ;-) We are also close to London, our economy is focussed on a similar area, and we have far more history than you'll ever have. Saying that though, Brighton is indeed a great city.

It's a shame that you are letting yourself down and all other Saints fans. Your replies, whilst for the most part accurate about your club's achievements, are laced with arrogance and generalisation about what fans from other teams believe. You are very unreasonable and pompous. You remind me of Aquila or whatever he calls himself. But at least he is from a team we are actually rivals with and only tends to write one-liners.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
I have to agree with most of that, and not having disdain, jealousy or any focussed admiration for Saints - it's pretty accurate.

The only things I can see to have any issue with, is the part about having "far more history than we'll ever have". I mean you HAVE to know that was a poor (ludicrous in fact) statement in every respect. You aren't able to know how much 'history' we "will ever have", and we all have history so how can you have more?

Ok you're probably right, I was going to leave that bit out but thought I'd include it for the lulz. Although does the fact that Southampton, both the club and the city, is older than Brighton not technically mean we have "more" history?

The asides about being 'small clubs/plucky' isn't anything to be unhappy about - when we beat a ManCity or United or Chelsea etc, we are going to get that. If Wolves down Manure, they will get it - and their history in the top division goes way back

Hmmm I can see your point, but I would still take it as an insult, and a Wolves fan probably would as well. We may not be a big club, but we're still comfortably Premier League class, especially with the stadium and facilities we have now.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
It's a shame that you are letting yourself down and all other Saints fans. Your replies, whilst for the most part accurate about your club's achievements, are laced with arrogance and generalisation about what fans from other teams believe. You are very unreasonable and pompous. You remind me of Aquila or whatever he calls himself. But at least he is from a team we are actually rivals with and only tends to write one-liners.

Christ, you lot like playing the "generalising" card, don't you?

Seriously though, how am I generalising? I specifically said Brighton fans ON HERE. I am aware they represent the minority of Brighton fans, but that doesn't stop the fact that what I'm saying is true for the majority on this forum. For every reasonable person I see on here I see about 10 morons.

Pompous? That's a new one. How so?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Christ, you lot like playing the "generalising" card, don't you?

Seriously though, how am I generalising? I specifically said Brighton fans ON HERE. I am aware they represent the minority of Brighton fans, but that doesn't stop the fact that what I'm saying is true for the majority on this forum. For every reasonable person I see on here I see about 10 morons.

Pompous? That's a new one. How so?

Okay. The statement 'you Brighton fans on here' refers to NSC. You ignore the fact that most posters on this thread are in disagreement with the OP. That is called generalisation and is unreasonable. Again, you seem to have privy information about 'the majority in this forum'. Clever that. As for pompous, lots of throwaway contents about 'plucky' etc. Quite honestly i believe you have missed a chance being a Man Utd fan with your attitude. I am glad to see that you don't contest arrogant:)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[MENTION=22412]liamsfc[/MENTION] I'd stick to arguing about the relative merits of the two clubs if I were you. You're on very dodgy ground if you start comparing the cities. Don't forget that there are a good few of us Albion fans with the misfortune to have plenty of first hand knowledge of your delightful hometown.

And those a arguing about attendance are just being twats (on both sides). You are making a big deal of your 'higher attendances' despite the fact that OUR ground is SOLD OUT, and yours is not. This is of course just as stupid a point when Albion posters belittle the capacity Dell crowds.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
Okay. The statement 'you Brighton fans on here' refers to NSC. You ignore the fact that most posters on this thread are in disagreement with the OP. That is called generalisation and is unreasonable. Again, you seem to have privy information about 'the majority in this forum'. Clever that. As for pompous, lots of throwaway contents about 'plucky' etc. Quite honestly i believe you have missed a chance being a Man Utd fan with your attitude. I am glad to see that you don't contest arrogant:)

I'm capable of making my own mind up about what the majority of people on this site are like. I've been linked here a few times when there's a Saints related thread and I always come to the same conclusion: what a bunch of jumped up chippy little morons. And I think I've been more than reasonable. I've already said I know we're not a big club. Hardly being pompous and arrogant, is it? But I'm a Southampton fan. You'll always see me as "arrogant" no matter what I say.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Talk about a storm in a tea-cup,lighten up,we are all entitled to have our views,each with their own rose tinted glasses...let's agree to differ instead of getting uppity with each other...if you were in an army battalion you would not ask "What team do you support"! before you rush to help! (Well,maybe you would if it's a Crystal Palace fan)......tongue in cheek...Lol!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm capable of making my own mind up about what the majority of people on this site are like.

Well yes, you are. But in this case you are wrong. Just as the idiotic comments posted in your local rag are not (i hope) representative of your general fanbase, so the comments of some individuals do not generally represent the view off the majority of this board. I accept we will have to agree to differ, but i do wonder why you see the need to step in (in what i would describe as an arrogant manner) on a message board that is not anything to do with your team. Some of the more reasonable (imho) members of this forum were coping very well without your 'help' in debunking the original premise. Do you trawl through other clubs forums in order to stick up for your team? That is a little odd if true. If not, then you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Brighton. If you don't like what (a few) Brighton fans believe about your club, then don't visit this forum. It's not rocket science.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
[MENTION=22412]liamsfc[/MENTION] I'd stick to arguing about the relative merits of the two clubs if I were you. You're on very dodgy ground if you start comparing the cities. Don't forget that there are a good few of us Albion fans with the misfortune to have plenty of first hand knowledge of your delightful hometown.

You should think yourselves lucky that it's Southampton you're familiar with and not that shit hole down the road, otherwise known as Portsmouth.

Talking of getting familiar with shit holes, do I need to remind you what your city is famous for? :safeway:

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
You should think yourselves lucky that it's Southampton you're familiar with and not that shit hole down the road, otherwise known as Portsmouth.

Talking of getting familiar with shit holes, do I need to remind you what your city is famous for? :safeway:

Let yourself down there I am afraid. Generally your posts are fair but with that last post you have fallen in with the lowest common denominator. On the main point there are some tools on this site (as there are on most) but I still feel your generalisations are wrong. Most BHA fans see Saints as a club to aspire to. And we all agree Working Class Pride talks bollocks (look at me generalising!)

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
Well yes, you are. But in this case you are wrong. Just as the idiotic comments posted in your local rag are not (i hope) representative of your general fanbase, so the comments of some individuals do not generally represent the view off the majority of this board. I accept we will have to agree to differ, but i do wonder why you see the need to step in (in what i would describe as an arrogant manner) on a message board that is not anything to do with your team. Some of the more reasonable (imho) members of this forum were coping very well without your 'help' in debunking the original premise. Do you trawl through other clubs forums in order to stick up for your team? That is a little odd if true. If not, then you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Brighton. If you don't like what (a few) Brighton fans believe about your club, then don't visit this forum. It's not rocket science.

:lolol: Well considering this whole thread is about what Saints fans are saying about Brighton, do you not think it's astonishingly hypocritical to tell me to ignore you?

I didn't seek this out btw. I was linked here from a Saints forum.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
:lolol: Well considering this whole thread is about what Saints fans are saying about Brighton, do you not think it's astonishingly hypocritical to tell me to ignore you?

I didn't seek this out btw. I was linked here from a Saints forum.

No. This whole thread us not about what Saints fans are saying about Brighton. It developed into a debate with one particular poster about crowd sizes which you then referred to. I an not hypocritical. I could not care less what other fans say on their message boards about us. I certainly wouldn't grace them with 'my club is bigger/better than yours statements.

Feb 14, 2010
Is that because the capacity of the Dell was, erm, 15,000 by any chance? Thats just like saying Brighton's normal support is 6,000 because that all you got for years at Withdean.

No mate the dingly dell hell about 25000 in the 70s and 80s, it didnt got down until all seater grounds. You just got smaller crowds than Brighton despite being in higher divisions. The rest is an easy conclusion to make.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
Let yourself down there I am afraid. Generally your posts are fair but with that last post you have fallen in with the lowest common denominator. On the main point there are some tools on this site (as there are on most) but I still feel your generalisations are wrong. Most BHA fans see Saints as a club to aspire to. And we all agree Working Class Pride talks bollocks (look at me generalising!)

Fair enough.

:lolol: Sorry, he was having a dig at Southampton so I couldn't resist!

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
No. This whole thread us not about what Saints fans are saying about Brighton. It developed into a debate with one particular poster about crowd sizes which you then referred to. I an not hypocritical. I could not care less what other fans say on their message boards about us. I certainly wouldn't grace them with 'my club is bigger/better than yours statements.

:facepalm: The title of the thread is 'Comments from Saints Fans on local paper site...', with a link to Saints fans talking about Brighton. Please explain to me how that is not a thread about Saints fans commenting on Brighton?

cocklebreath

Nov 12, 2011
No mate the dingly dell hell about 25000 in the 70s and 80s, it didnt got down until all seater grounds. You just got smaller crowds than Brighton despite being in higher divisions. The rest is an easy conclusion to make.

I assume you are on a wind up, take a look at average attendances over the years and see for yourself.

Up the Saints!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
:facepalm: The title of the thread is 'Comments from Saints Fans on local paper site...', with a link to Saints fans talking about Brighton. Please explain to me how that is not a thread about Saints fans commenting on Brighton?

The title? Yes. No dispute there. But once again we have generalisation 'this whole thread' etc. I'm sorry you find the whole thing a little hard to keep up with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here