Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comments from Saints Fans on local paper site...

Feb 14, 2010
When I was a kid in the 70s/80s, Saints had the dell, the albion the goldstone. Saints were in higher divisions, but albion much higher crowds, and yes saints were the over achieving plucky underdogs. Living as I do in this small village called London, then I can say that neither Saints or Albion are anything other than medium sized clubs. Albion may become a regional and larger club but that is only a maybe. On winning trophies, Albion have been Champions of England/won the Charity Shield back in 1910, Saints won, as the plucky underdog (which is a compliment), the FA Cup.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You should think yourselves lucky that it's Southampton you're familiar with and not that shit hole down the road, otherwise known as Portsmouth.

Talking of getting familiar with shit holes, do I need to remind you what your city is famous for? :safeway:

O dear..poster lacks credibility i am afraid

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
The title? Yes. No dispute there. But once again we have generalisation 'this whole thread' etc. I'm sorry you find the whole thing a little hard to keep up with.

Oh, is this forum different to all the others that I've experienced? Do people just start threads with a random title and let everyone talk about what ever they want? I was under the impression that threads generally stick to the subject matter specified in the opening post. Clearly I was wrong. I'll try harder to keep up.

cocklebreath

Nov 12, 2011
When I was a kid in the 70s/80s, Saints had the dell, the albion the goldstone. Saints were in higher divisions, but albion much higher crowds, and yes saints were the over achieving plucky underdogs. Living as I do in this small village called London, then I can say that neither Saints or Albion are anything other than medium sized clubs. Albion may become a regional and larger club but that is an if. On winning trophies, Albion have been Champions of England/won the Charity Shield back in 1910, Saints won, as the plucky underdog (which is a compliment), the FA Cup.
From 78-80 brighton had a few thousand more a season, that is 3 years out of 20 and as for much higher if by 3000 that is much higher then we have much higher crowds than you now.

cocklebreath

Nov 12, 2011
hmm..post number 2...is it a tad boring on your own site?
I'm just an attendance bore but am slightly suprised how good your crowds were back in the late 70's early 80's, looking at it you were probably and still are better supported than the skates but still below us.

Feb 14, 2010
From 78-80 brighton had a few thousand more a season, that is 3 years out of 20 and as for much higher if by 3000 that is much higher then we have much higher crowds than you now.

The 20 years you quote is only because Brighton were asset stripped. Fact is mate, that the Albion got bigger crowds despite Saints being in higher divisions. Imagine if the position had been reversed, and we were in the top flight and you in the third division? Albion had bigger crowds in the 50s and 60s as well as 70s and 80s (until the hooligan problem that we had at Brighton) as well

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Brighton had 30,000 plus gates in the 1930's 1950's 1960's & 1970's and Southampton pre St Marys only topped 30,000 once,yet Southampton's average gates since 1947 rarely dipped below 16,000 where as Brighton fell below 10,000 on four occasions from 1947 to 1986..and only topped 16,000 on about 10 occasions.

It's open to debate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here