Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comments from Saints Fans on local paper site...

simpleton

Apr 23, 2011
Saints at the dingly dell were getting 15000 in the top flight, that my friend is just the truth of the matter.

Is that because the capacity of the Dell was, erm, 15,000 by any chance? Thats just like saying Brighton's normal support is 6,000 because that all you got for years at Withdean.

SaintsFTW

Nov 22, 2010
being in a higher division or winning something doesn't make a club bigger than another, otherwise wimbledon could claim to be bigger than lots of clubs that have not won the a major trophy like palace. Its about support and catchment area. Historically brighton got larger crowds despite being in lower divisions than saints, brighton are therefore the bigger club.

lolzzz

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Working class pride,you aremaking yourself look like a bit of a muppet. That is all.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Mate, Brighton crowds dropped off because of trouble like lots of clubs in the mid 80s and then there was the decline and asset stripping of the 1990s. However before that (and before our top flight days) Brighton regularly pulled in, match by match 25000-36000 crowds, despite being in the third divison. Saints at the dingly dell were getting 15000 in the top flight, that my friend is just the truth of the matter.

WCP - I know we have had some excellent gates - I atended many or most back in the 70s & 80s.

Our average was around 20K plus from 77-80 but 70-77 was circa 11K, 81-90 was circa 15K with a gradual decline from 83 0nward. Our largest average was just over 25K in 1978. So none of these figure support 25-30K every week or the average would be between these two numbers surely. Not sure how this compare to Saints during the same period.

I agree that we have a pretty good fan base and maybe if we had had the successes that the fairys from St Mary's had then

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Forget bigger crowds, and all that history rubbish. If we keep playing how we are playing and developing slowly we will end up way better than Southampton in the end.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Brighton historically played to higher crowds when playing in lower leagues. Its a no brainer really, Saints are paying to 25000 crowds which is their highest ever, certainly bigger than the Dell. Brighton have at the goldstone played to 25000 -36000 and next season will again be playing to 30000. No issues with Saints at all, I enjoyed seeing them stand up for the small clubs in the top flight as a kid. The dingley dell was a funny little place and it gave them lots of good will, but thinking Saints are bigger than clubs with a bigger support like Brighton, well that just doesn't make sense.

I seem to recall the Albion playing in the top flight to crowds of less than 10,000.

The Dell had a capacity of 15,000, so how could they play to a bigger crowd?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I seem to recall the Albion playing in the top flight to crowds of less than 10,000.

The Dell had a capacity of 15,000, so how could they play to a bigger crowd?

I don't think that we ever played top flight football to crowds that small. If my memory serves me right, the lowest crowds were about 18000.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don't think that we ever played top flight football to crowds that small. If my memory serves me right, the lowest crowds were about 18000.

We had three four-figure crowds in our last seaon in the top flight - 9845 v Brum, 9994 v Norwich, 9902 v West Brom.

But on the more interesting subject of next Saturday, their run of home wins has to end sometime. I've seen them three times this season and they won all three games, but they weren't all that at the back. When they beat Birmingham, their goalkeeper Kelvin Davis was man of the match. So we'll see.

cocklebreath

Nov 12, 2011
In reply to working class pride and his strange idea that historically brighton have a bigger fan base, I have being a sad c*nt, just looked up attendances from the last 50 years of the two clubs and about 3 times Brighton averaged more in a season, therefore working class pride you are a knuckle dragging thicko.

Up the Saints!!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We had three four-figure crowds in our last seaon in the top flight - 9845 v Brum, 9994 v Norwich, 9902 v West Brom.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I was there at all three but i suppose i was only sixteen so the memory was wrong. Weird that we had all the FA cup hype but the attendances dropped off like that.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
HAHAHA. Can't quite believe what I'm reading. Of course it's a no-brainer. Brighton, having won no major competitions, playing to crowds of 6,000 for the past ten years, spending just three seasons in the top flight and having literally NO players of note in their entire history, are clearly bigger than Saints. I mean, we did spend 27 unbroken years in the top flight, becoming part of the furniture in the biggest league in the world. We did win the FA Cup, reaching four finals in total. We did finish runners-up in the old first division. We did have legends such as Le Tiss, Shearer, Channon, Shilton, Keegan and Ball play at our club. We're top of the league (keep up) and getting the second biggest average crowds in the division. And we have produced some of the world's best players. But then, you did sometimes get bigger crowds than us 50 years ago. You can't really argue with that sort of logic.

:lolol:

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
''We`re Southampton we don`t care about you''

That`s why we are on your message boards at 3.36 a.m. Jesus.

Not that it's any of your business, but I got back from a party that night quite late and slightly drunk. Same tionight. Means nothing.

Last edited:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
You are of course right liamsfc, but what annoys me about southampton fans, is they are so dismissive of all the teams around them.
What you have in the accademy, attendance, ground, training ground etc. all come with good sound investment. We have thngs you can't buy, like only 1 team within a 45 mile radius, less than an hour from London, and a city whos main economy is based on attracting people into it. I know you have the right to be confident, but no need to belittle everyone.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
You are of course right liamsfc, but what annoys me about southampton fans, is they are so dismissive of all the teams around them.
What you have in the accademy, attendance, ground, training ground etc. all come with good sound investment. We have thngs you can't buy, like only 1 team within a 45 mile radius, less than an hour from London, and a city whos main economy is based on attracting people into it. I know you have the right to be confident, but no need to belittle everyone.

I'm not "belittling everyone". This is the problem with you Brighton fans (on here anyway), you are so blinkered it's unreal. Your lot were going on about thinking of Southampton as a "plucky little club", "doing the small clubs proud", mocking our old stadium, etc etc. Then when I have the temerity to respond, suddenly "all Southampton fans belittle everyone". Well what about the people I was responding to? What were they doing if not belittling? Same with the Adkins thing. He says "if they can keep with us", a relatively innocent response to a question asking whether the title race will be between you and us, and suddenly he is the devil incarnate. Your manager calls us "Dagenham & Redbridge with a decent striker", yet according to your fellow fans he's "kind, gracious and classy". I know all fans wear tinted spectacles but you lot take it to another level.

As for the other stuff: having one team nearby means you have to fabricate rivalries with us and Palace and Crawley and Portsmouth, whereas we have a genuine, historic rival to hate. How is that in any way a bad thing? And think about it, you get smaller attendances than us despite being so isolated! ;-) We are also close to London, our economy is focussed on a similar area, and we have far more history than you'll ever have. Saying that though, Brighton is indeed a great city.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm not "belittling everyone". This is the problem with you Brighton fans (on here anyway), you are so blinkered it's unreal. Your lot were going on about thinking of Southampton as a "plucky little club", "doing the small clubs proud", mocking our old stadium, etc etc. Then when I have the temerity to respond, suddenly "all Southampton fans belittle everyone". Well what about the people I was responding to? What were they doing if not belittling? Same with the Adkins thing. He says "if they can keep with us", a relatively innocent response to a question asking whether the title race will be between you and us, and suddenly he is the devil incarnate. Your manager calls us "Dagenham & Redbridge with a decent striker", yet according to your fellow fans he's "kind, gracious and classy". I know all fans wear tinted spectacles but you lot take it to another level.

As for the other stuff: having one team nearby means you have to fabricate rivalries with us and Palace and Crawley and Portsmouth, whereas we have a genuine, historic rival to hate. How is that in any way a bad thing? And think about it, you get smaller attendances than us despite being so isolated! ;-) We are also close to London, our economy is focussed on a similar area, and we have far more history than you'll ever have. Saying that though, Brighton is indeed a great city.

Get over it , its an internet messageboard . Their is not a mb in the world without a few on it that talk shit . The majority understand a few saints views online is not reflective of their entire support . You'd do well to remember the same . Chill out for f*** sake or you will just be mugging yourself off .

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
Get over it , its an internet messageboard . Their is not a mb in the world without a few on it that talk shit . The majority understand a few saints views online is not reflective of their entire support . You'd do well to remember the same . Chill out for f*** sake or you will just be mugging yourself off .

Do I seem angry? I'm simply responding to his post. I'm more than "chilled-out" mate.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do I seem angry? I'm simply responding to his post. I'm more than "chilled-out" mate.

Then perhaps distinguish between 'you Brighton fans (on here anyway)' as a collective noun, and individual deluded fools such as WCP, who lives in his own little bubble.

Every village has to have an idiot, and now some of them such as WCP have a keyboard and bore the pants off us, so they are best ignored.

Saints have their share of muppets too of course, there are a lot of villages in both Sussex and Hampshire.

HAHAHA. Can't quite believe what I'm reading. Of course it's a no-brainer. Brighton, having won no major competitions, playing to crowds of 6,000 for the past ten years, spending just three seasons in the top flight and having literally NO players of note in their entire history, are clearly bigger than Saints. I mean, we did spend 27 unbroken years in the top flight, becoming part of the furniture in the biggest league in the world. We did win the FA Cup, reaching four finals in total. We did finish runners-up in the old first division. We did have legends such as Le Tiss, Shearer, Channon, Shilton, Keegan and Ball play at our club. We're top of the league (keep up) and getting the second biggest average crowds in the division. And we have produced some of the world's best players. But then, you did sometimes get bigger crowds than us 50 years ago. You can't really argue with that sort of logic.

:lolol:

Adkins is a big-name manager 'of the future' - they have to come from somewhere and right now I'd say it's Southampton.
I can't see a reason to have issues with them or be sensitive about their success, and I can't recall any bad feeling between us and them in our history actually.

I hope we beat them of course, but I hope they do well otherwise. I can't say I'd prefer another club be successful in this division :shrug:
Certainly not palace or pompey, and I wasn't so keen on Bournemouth last season so no other local clubs endear me to them exactly.

If anything, I see Southampton as an example of what we could achieve..... they've been that example for many years, and us having occasional flashes of greatness shouldn't make us think we're worthier than anyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here