Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Similar experience to Gazwag, if coloured is deemed to be heinously offensive, why does it still appear on our TV screens. Only last night, it was uttered in Rocky III along with 'Jungle Junk Music' - referring to Hip-Hop.

Is it possible that these words have different ramifications in different cultures and we are a little bit sensitive and hypocritical?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What do the PC brigade make of Australia referring to immigrants as boat people?

Depends.

If they are referring to people desperate enough to try to get there by boat, then its a fair descriptive term.

If they are referring to all immigrants, or immigrants of one particular ethnic background as 'boat people' I would expect some offense to be taken.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Words change over time. That is all.

And their meaning. Previously descriptive and neutral terms turn into words of abuse, which leads to new words that people identify themselves as. Better to be a moving target than trying to hold onto a label that has been contaminated by racist abuse.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A few years ago we were all supposed to use the word 'coloured' because 'black' was offensive. Now the word 'coloured' is racist?? .I get all confused.... which word should I use now?
How old are you, 110?
This. I don't think it's ever been right in this country to call black people 'coloured',
How the f*** can "half cast" be offensive or racist? This bollocks is beyond a joke.
It depends where you're from. I think it's better to say 'mixed race' as I don't think that's ever been used to offend, whereas 'half-caste' has often been used a a derogatory term.
Its very true, who knows what we can call them.
:fishing: surely? What we can call 'them'? Difficult to know isn't it, they all look the same and I don't suppose they'd understand anyway :rolleyes:
They call themselves certain names (the N word springs to mind) but if we call them that then is deemed racist. It is confusing.
It's confusing to you because you're a bit dim. You know that most black people would be offended if a random white person called the the n word, the fact that black people use it themselves doesn't change that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But in a way, they are neither 'pure' white of black. So strictly true
White people aren't 'pure' white either. So should white people be called coloured?
It's not considered racist if a non-white says a racist remark against a white person. Why? Because Whites naturally feel guilty about the whole slave thing
No we don't. White people were slaves too, the Romans weren't picky.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What do the PC brigade make of Australia referring to immigrants as boat people?
Well I'm definitely PC brigade. Aussies are racist idiots.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Really brought it home to me the other week how actually far advanced we are in matters of football racism in the UK. Went to see Bologna v AC Milan and was in the Bologna Ultras end. Obviously. I'd read about it, but never actually quite believed it happened. Every single time Clarence Seedorf took a corner at 'our' end, the full-on monkey noises started. As John Terry would say, I was 'disappointed'. :down:

Now THAT's racism. And it sucks. Bigtime.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
It's confusing to you because you're a bit dim. You know that most black people would be offended if a random white person called the the n word, the fact that black people use it themselves doesn't change that.

How come people on this board are happy to say cxnt, but won't say ******? If one person calls someone else a cxnt in the middle of the street they WILL get a slap no matter what race, so surely it's a more offensive term.

Sent by yolk folk

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
Got any more detail on that? I know people did it, but that doesn't mean it was right.

Yes. From the late 1960's into the 70's, possibly longer, it was offensive to call Negroes 'black'. To be polite we had to use the word 'coloured'. Then, I do not know when, but it suddenly became offensive to use the word 'coloured' and we had to then revert to using 'black' which was then deemed polite. It caught out many people of this generation including me.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Racism is the belief that people are inherently superior or inferior because of their membership of a particular race. Nothing Gus says implies superiority or inferiority. Rather, he stresses relatedness, affinity and connection.

Sadly people love to follow the crowd and do not have the ability to reason with certain social situations. These people are also known as mindless lemmings and politically correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here