Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"coloured people" Poyet quote....

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
A few years ago we were all supposed to use the word 'coloured' because 'black' was offensive. Now the word 'coloured' is racist?? .I get all confused.... which word should I use now?

I think the new PC version should use a hyphen as it does in the States, connecting ones heritage with their nationality...African-English.

PC run amok...and we probably shouldn't be calling those poor lads from Crawley "dirty northern bastards" either. Not nice.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
20- 30 years ago everyone was told to use the word "coloured" as Black people then found being called "Black" offensive !!
Far better than words like N***er or C**n and the like !!
I think everyone has been racist occasionally wether your white/black/brown skinned etc etc or had thoughts of it in their minds wether you like to admit it or not !
Theres plenty of people that abuse the French/ Germans/Spanish/Italians etc etc also racist but no one ever seems to get pulled up for that do they ????

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
what if you're not speaking to them directly, i'm sure people still use these words casually from time to time in conversation , lets not be nieve here.

I'm sure people still use it in conversation but it does cause offence to black people, i'd be very careful not to refer to a black people as coloured where I live, not that i'd really describe it as being racist.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4579206 said:
:facepalm: Do you actually now what it means? It's actually spelt half-caste, castus being the latin for pure. It basically means "half pure" which I think can be considered a racist and derogatory term.

Well if thats the original meaning then I'll bet only 1 in a million people know it and that includes the half casts themselves. To the majority being half cast simply means having a skin tone half way between the two, and yes half cast people DO refer to themselves as "half casts"

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
:facepalm: Do you actually now what it means? It's actually spelt half-caste, castus being the latin for pure. It basically means "half pure" which I think can be considered a racist and derogatory term.

Not really, the gene pool has to mix, look at some very close communities to see what 'pure' results in!!!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
But you were not being racist were you? Racism would be using a term to cause offence. Someone that uses the word 'coloured' is either a bit outdated, a bit ignorant, from another nationality where the lexicon differs or unaware but they are not being racist.

I wouldn't say it's a racist especially if there's no intent, it's just seen as being very offensive.

Jan 30, 2008
rubbish, taken out of context, you can see plenty of white girls with a black fella and a mixed race child

D

Deleted member 18477

racism can f*** off!

i was called white boy by some asians at my school. what did i do? nothing! why? because i am a white boy FFS!

what would they have done if i had called them black/brown? exactly! racism is a f***ing joke and its all one way!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Well if thats the original meaning then I'll bet only 1 in a million people know it and that includes the half casts themselves. To the majority being half cast simply means having a skin tone half way between the two, and yes half cast people DO refer to themselves as "half casts"

I suggest anyone with half a brain knows what it means....no offence intended ofcourse.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
As far as I'm concerned, 'black' or 'coloured' is fine as long as you are using the term in a descriptive rather than a pejorative way. That's the most important thing and that's how Gus is using it.

However, I think 'black' is used more today as it's generally considered best to call people what they themselves would like to be identified as. Since the last 1960s, most people in the UK and US who used to identify themselves as 'coloured' began to identify themselves as black.

(Part of the reason 'coloured' fell into disuse as a term, apart from it being contaminated by its use within racial abuse, is that it was considered to present 'coloured' people as being of a colour, subjective, whereas it defined white folk as being somehow 'un-coloured', a standard, the norm of society, objective reality, untainted by being associated with the particularities of a race)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
racism can f*** off!

i was called white boy by some asians at my school. what did i do? nothing! why? because i am a white boy FFS!

what would they have done if i had called them black/brown? exactly! racism is a f***ing joke and its all one way!
Christ you're spot on as i was called it many times and i didn't even batter an eye lid:)

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
It's not considered racist if a non-white says a racist remark against a white person. Why? Because Whites naturally feel guilty about the whole slave thing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here