Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"coloured people" Poyet quote....

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Yes you are, proceed immediately to the nearest Political Correctness station and hand yourself in.

I'm on my way to be clapped in irons! :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How the f*** can "half cast" be offensive or racist? This bollocks is beyond a joke.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4579206 said:
:facepalm: Do you actually now what it means? It's actually spelt half-caste, castus being the latin for pure. It basically means "half pure" which I think can be considered a racist and derogatory term.

Do people live their lives in a shoe I wonder?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
racism can f*** off!

i was called white boy by some asians at my school. what did i do? nothing! why? because i am a white boy FFS!

what would they have done if i had called them black/brown? exactly! racism is a f***ing joke and its all one way!

Thank you for sharing those painful playground memories. But before you cast off racism as a joke, you must be aware that outside you and Evra being called names, some people have genuinely experienced racism of a hateful and frightening nature, as well as a discriminatory one whether in work or elsewhere.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So what happens with films, notably old films.

I was watching Quadrophenia the other week and Jimmy calls this person a Nig Nog. Now that's something I haven't heard for a long long time, probably since I was at school. But how do people feel about that sort of thing. Did whatever channel it was on get loads of complaints, should it have bleeped that out or is it ok because it was filmed in the 70's. :shrug:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How old are you, 110?

Well, I'm 40, and I clearly remember when "coloured" was supposed to be used rather than "black." I would say it was about 20 years ago that it died out to be replaced with "black" again. That would make "coloured" the PC word of the 80's I'd guess.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Surely it depends on the context. It was announced with Obama, America have their first black president. If its a fact and not derogatory or inferred as a put down is it ok?

On another point, how often do you need to describe someones race by using a colour?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In 'Wham Rap!' George Michael talks of:

"A jet-black guy with a hip hifi
A white cool cat with a trilby hat"

I wonder if calling someone jet-black was ever the in vogue thing!

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
So what happens with films, notably old films.

I was watching Quadrophenia the other week and Jimmy calls this person a Nig Nog. Now that's something I haven't heard for a long long time, probably since I was at school. But how do people feel about that sort of thing. Did whatever channel it was on get loads of complaints, should it have bleeped that out or is it ok because it was filmed in the 70's. :shrug:

I watched an episode of Minder a couple of months ago which I think was filmed in the 1980's, in the episode Terry was in the Winchester Club and had to squeeze past a Black guy standing at the bar, Terry said something to him which was bleeped out, I suspect it was probably something with racist conotations, so ITV seem to be aware even for programmes filmed some time time ago

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Theres plenty of people that abuse the French/ Germans/Spanish/Italians etc etc also racist but no one ever seems to get pulled up for that do they ????

because they are all nationality's not races. There are only 3 races on earth... Negroid, Mongoloid, & Caucasian, we all belong to one of or a mixture of these groups and they all find their roots in Ethiopia

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
because they are all nationality's not races. There are only 3 races on earth... Negroid, Mongoloid, & Caucasian, we all belong to one of or a mixture of these groups and they all find their roots in Ethiopia

Actually, there are 4; Negroid, Mongoloid, Caucasian, and White Working Class....

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Lots of us are certainly confusing racism with the issue of how we refer to people who aren't white skinned. Ironically my black neighbour was talking to me about a "coloured" person and I had to tell him that people generally use the word "black" in this country rather than "coloured". He is from Zimbabwe so I let him off!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
When I first moved to Croydon about 10 years ago, I always used the term 'coloured' and quickly found out black people find it very offensive. Much like half cast, darky ect these phrases are not really acceptable anymore.
My daughter's gymnastic coach is half caste, she told me that in her lifetime (she is 30) that she has been categorised three different times: firstly half caste then mixed race and she is now apparently multiethnic :lolol:

Political correctness, you've got to love it.......by the way she doesn't take offence to any of those terms.

The conversation came about, because she wanted to do a 'Merry Christmas' poster to go in the gym window and asked me what the politically correct term for Christmas was so she didn't upset any Muslim/Jehovah's/anyone else who might take offence....she thought it might be 'merry ethnic tree festival' or some such thing. I advised her to take a chance on 'Merry Christmas' :itsmental:

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Eh? I missed that.

In the PC circles I moved in, it was exactly the opposite.

Concur! I started a social sciences (waste of time but that's another matter) degree course where a certain football stadium now stands in the mid 80s and was taught by my leftie lecturer that indeed coloured was an offensive term as it implied you should be white but were infact coloured so therefore not as one should look. Guess you could say that black people wouldn't have described white people as bleached...ok I am getting silly now!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Thank you for sharing those painful playground memories. But before you cast off racism as a joke, you must be aware that outside you and Evra being called names, some people have genuinely experienced racism of a hateful and frightening nature, as well as a discriminatory one whether in work or elsewhere.

I think this is the point though. Gus saying that things work differently in Uruguay has nothing to do with racism of a hateful and frightening nature. And that is where people seem to get confused. Proper, nasty, dangerous, evil racism is extremely different to Gus Poyet saying "eeet is not racist, in Uruaguay we like people of theee colour and we call them negritas". Same as it is different to my Gran, God rest her soul, referring to black people as 'coloured'. She didn't do that because she was an evil racist, she did it because that's what her generation did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here