Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Text - Hammond Gone

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Like others have said his lack of backing to the club even as captain, his lack of any real quality will surely have him down as one of our worst captains ever and the fact he's signed for Colchester tells you everything you need to know about his motives for moving....££££££............if anyone ever deserved to get stick on their return its him !!! Best bit of business we've ever done 250k is a joke...lol !!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
think he will be a big loss our midfield lacks something when he isn't there, also got a fair few goals. Very strange move though thought he could do better than a struggling team in the championship be very funny if we go up in the playoffs and he comes down.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Like others have said his lack of backing to the club even as captain, his lack of any real quality will surely have him down as one of our worst captains ever and the fact he's signed for Colchester tells you everything you need to know about his motives for moving....££££££............if anyone ever deserved to get stick on their return its him !!! Best bit of business we've ever done 250k is a joke...lol !!

The fact he was made captian at all tells you more about the squad around at the time, best of the youngsters at the time and very little experience around who was a regular first team player.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Fair play to Dick Knight. I'm amazed we got that for him. I'd have said 50 to 70k max. I'm sure he will be found out at championship level, and I doubt he'll even be in teh Colchester first team come the end of the season.

For a quarter of a million quid, Colchester have been sold a dud there!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Fair enough. personally I think he'll do well in the championship, But I don't think he deserves abuse for moving on. I'm Sure he's not completely to blame for the situation & things could probably have been handled more discreetly.
It was discreet until george o'c came out and publicly slated the chairman, fair enough DK should've kept his mouth shut, it's a sorry affair on both sides not help by a meddling agent. I find this quote from DK quite interesting
We did everything possible to persuade Dean to stay at the club, including turning down a £200,000 bid from Colchester at the start of the window, and offering him an extremely generous new contract, with a get-out clause if we didn't get promotion this season

The non promotion get out clause proves that he wanted away from the club whatever. In my mind leaving at the end of the season to a championship club is better than playing less than half a season and then getting relegated, obviously not in dean's mind though.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Will everyone STOP being so bitter. Who died?!!!! Mediocre player leaves mediocre old club for mediocre new club. That's all.

Personally, I wish him luck. Decent player, we'll miss some parts of his play but he's not irreplaceable. Fresh blood, lot of new faces, this saturday's game is actually the most exciting to look forward to in a long time!

But it's not CRIME to leave BHA people. Booing him on his return; you're just so churlish and full of unfounded hate. Simmer down and save it for Leon Knight's next visit!!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Slightly odd move, if you're going to leave go somewhere better. And that means really better, not just very temporarily in a higher division.

Hammond is a player who has not come on anywhere near as much as many expected say five years ago, and this smacks of desperation on his part. If he really believed he was good enough to play in the Championship, he'd have waited for a bigger club.

I still think it's possible he might end up a really half-decent Champ midfielder, it's just a shame that form/ability hasn't been dragged out of him with us.

herman gelmet

Not the tosser
Jan 20, 2008
worthing
It was discreet until george o'c came out and publicly slated the chairman, fair enough DK should've kept his mouth shut, it's a sorry affair on both sides not help by a meddling agent. I find this quote from DK quite interesting

Good points Billy, I'm not in the anti DK camp. I respect Dick for what he's done for the club, but doesn't the fact that george had that rant & everything that followed, point to all not being well. So I think the assumptions that Hammond left purely for cash, Imo may be misguided. Anyway here's to the new signings bedding in and good football returning to withdean :thumbsup:

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Slightly odd move, if you're going to leave go somewhere better. And that means really better, not just very temporarily in a higher division.

But why? If I was offered a move to a like for like company with a golden handshake of £25k plus 4 times my current wages I'd be off in a shot! So would everyone on here most probably. When are people going to realise that for players, the game's about making money for yourself as well as playing football.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I think Hammond was a bit of an unsung hero and we will miss him once he has gone. Having said that I don't think he was having the best of seasons and I have never felt that he was the greatest captain. Being made captain brought the best out of him but I never felt that he led and motivated the team terribly effectively.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

The non promotion get out clause proves that he wanted away from the club whatever. In my mind leaving at the end of the season to a championship club is better than playing less than half a season and then getting relegated, obviously not in dean's mind though.

The fact that he has a get out clause if Colchester are relegated, shows he really does want to play in the Championship if at all possible

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The fact that he has a get out clause if Colchester are relegated, shows he really does want to play in the Championship if at all possible
Fair play then, I suppose he's in the shop window from now until the end of the season. It's shit or bust for him now, if he plays well for them then he might get another move, if he's indifferent at that level then I can't see anyone going for him.

If we get another in, this is great business from DK. Whilst Hammond was our best midfielder he could barely be described as anything more than average at this level, particularly this season. He would have left for nothing at the end of the season making it difficult to replace him. At least with this money we can buy an equivalent or better player. As others have said, the fact he moved to Colchester says it all, see you next season Dean...

Very well summed up.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
But why? If I was offered a move to a like for like company with a golden handshake of £25k plus 4 times my current wages I'd be off in a shot! So would everyone on here most probably. When are people going to realise that for players, the game's about making money for yourself as well as playing football.

You've totally misunderstood the point. Nowhere did I slag Hammond off for going for the money. But if he is really as good as he thinks - and incidentally, I think that is very far from proven - surely there would have been another club willing to offer the money Colchester have, small by Championship standards, but with a better chance of staying in the division or even going up?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Fair play then, I suppose he's in the shop window from now until the end of the season. It's shit or bust for him now, if he plays well for them then he might get another move, if he's indifferent at that level then I can't see anyone going for him.

Correct, but even if they get relegated and no one comes in for him he will be playing Div 1 football on Championship money. Would that have been the case at the Albion?

Where did you see that bit of info Fozzie?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here