Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Text - Hammond Gone

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He was our best central midfielder (although Thomson may well turn out to be better) but he still wasn't great, and was having a very poor season, IMHO... the money we got was good, but we need to replace him or we are fcuked...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And get a winger in... this is such an obvious gap, I just can't believe we have left it to the last minute to try and get someone in for that position...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Would have preferred he stayed, but he didn't want to sign, could have gone for free in 6 months and thus I believe it's a good deal.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The fact Hammonds gone to Colchester says everything about his ambition, I could understand leaving for a solid championship side but dead certs for relegation says its all about the money .
Enjoy your 20 games at a higher level Dean,we,ll be seeing you next season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good luck to him and hope it works out OK however I feel certain we may see him at Withdean next season.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
You can throw insults around at fellow supporters but I won't do the same to you.

Hammond was so talented that offers were flying in from everywhere. NOT.

Colchester? Yeah good move. He alone has unsettled this club. Good riddance.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
You can throw insults around at fellow supporters but I won't do the same to you.

Hammond was so talented that offers were flying in from everywhere. NOT.

Colchester? Yeah good move. He alone has unsettled this club. Good riddance.

Sorry but that is crap.
GOC Started it and Forster continued it. GOC paid the price and Forster has been what? for saying the same things.
Please show me a report where Hammond has run down this club and its direction.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sorry but that is crap.
GOC Started it and Forster continued it. GOC paid the price and Forster has been what? for saying the same things.
Please show me a report where Hammond has run down this club and its direction.

Well, he hasn't been vocal. But then again he never has been, not even in his role as captain.

But GOC started the public ball rolling with an outburst related to the club and Hammonds contract. It was obviously causing unease in the camp. Hence the results since.

Now he's gone, it will be interesting to see if the players can start getting those results again. It was a shame to lose GOC but he's the only one i'm lamenting.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Way back in 2004...from the BBC Website

Last Updated: Thursday, 30 September, 2004, 14:36 GMT 15:36 UK

Hammond pens Albion deal

Brighton midfielder Dean Hammond has signed a new contract to keep him at the club until the end of next season.
The 21-year-old, a product of the Seagulls' youth-system, had signed a three-month deal in the summer.

Albion boss Mark McGhee told BBC SCR: "He's grabbed his chance with both hands and proved he can stay in a team winning games in the Championship."

Hammond added: "I'm delighted and relieved. I feared I was on my way out, but I was given my chance and took it."

I know we bang on about loyalty, but he may remember how close we cam to chucking him out on his ear, so, can you blame him, and we also did get £250,000 for him.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I know what you're trying to say, but he's simply not championship quality 250k is a lot of money for a mediocre player shortly to be out of contract. At least it wasn't another Dan Harding.........

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Seems sensible business by the Albion. Hammond has not been the great midfielder I expected 2 or 3 years ago. Always seemed knackered even after 5 minutes of a game.
Being an exile I don't know what was going on behind the ssenes making him not want to sign again for us, but strange choice of club for him.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
If we get another in, this is great business from DK. Whilst Hammond was our best midfielder he could barely be described as anything more than average at this level, particularly this season. He would have left for nothing at the end of the season making it difficult to replace him. At least with this money we can buy an equivalent or better player. As others have said, the fact he moved to Colchester says it all, see you next season Dean...

herman gelmet

Not the tosser
Jan 20, 2008
worthing
I know what you're trying to say, but he's simply not championship quality 250k is a lot of money for a mediocre player shortly to be out of contract. At least it wasn't another Dan Harding.........

Fair enough. personally I think he'll do well in the championship, But I don't think he deserves abuse for moving on. I'm Sure he's not completely to blame for the situation & things could probably have been handled more discreetly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here