Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CKR to Sheff Utd

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:

I think he has the talent easily to score 20 goals in League 1 but he has to want to knuckle down, work his arse off and serve his apprenticeship rather than looking for a quick route to the top.

It is not very often that I agree with LI but on this occassion I have reservations as to whether at his age Shipperley has the balls to fight in Div 1 when he could probably earn more and lead an easier life in the Championship with one of the probable strugglers like Southend or Colchester.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Real toughie, I would settle for any kind of deal involving Shipperley plus cash.

I think he has the talent easily to score 20 goals in League 1 but he has to want to knuckle down, work his arse off and serve his apprenticeship rather than looking for a quick route to the top.

Only the people who see him in training day in day out will know if he has that desire to succeed with us. We fans can but speculate.

Sorry I'm a bit confused, are you suggesting that Shipperley needs to serve his apprenticeship?

BensGrandad said:
It is not very often that I agree with LI but on this occassion I have reservations as to whether at his age Shipperley has the balls to fight in Div 1 when he could probably earn more and lead an easier life in the Championship with one of the probable strugglers like Southend or Colchester.

I would actually prefer GNW to either Thorne or Shipperley - but the context being suggested here is negotiations with Warnock and actually having some leverage in CKR to prise Shipperley (who Knight and McGhee clearly rate) away from him.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is that the Shipperley with the bad back who has to be prised out of his chair and into his car for a run to the shops most days? Really feel for the guy on one level, but please God we don't sign him for anything other than Pay Per Play.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tom Hark said:
Is that the Shipperley with the bad back who has to be prised out of his chair and into his car for a run to the shops most days? Really feel for the guy on one level, but please God we don't sign him for anything other than Pay Per Play.

Saying that he doesn't seem to get injured that often. I think he would be a great player for Gatting to learn from and if we can get Jake firing (bit of a little and large combo), or even another quick striker then I would be fairly happy. However my first choice would be to keep CKR and hopefully get a target man for him to play with. I know we are a selling club but it would be nice to keep hold of one of our biggest assest for as long as possible.

Hell soon be gone, just like any half-decent player at Brighton.
We are a selling club - if we weren't, we might have been challenging for promotion to the Premier. That would have been a financial disaster, as wages would have gone up, and crowds only stayed about the same.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Good player but seems to learnt the lazyiness syndrome from Leon Knight. I think he looked alot better with GNW and hope we sign GNW as they would do well next season.

EDIT: If he dosen't go to Sheff UTD

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He is worth far more than £500k to us, if he can fire us back into the championship.

There is nothing suggesting that he can't do this. I think our players learned alot from last season and they are always going to struggle with confidence etc. when the team is sliding down the league.

If he wants to go, then good luck to him. I for one would love to see him play for us next season. Not a terrible strike rate for his first season in the Championship with a relegated team.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DAMANCLAY said:
Good player but seems to learnt the lazyiness syndrome from Leon Knight. I think he looked alot better with GNW and hope we sign GNW as they would do well next season.

EDIT: If he dosen't go to Sheff UTD

Yep clearly Leons fault.

Been gone now for about 6 and half months now - cant still blame him for everything you know.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
Yep clearly Leons fault.

Been gone now for about 6 and half months now - cant still blame him for everything you know.

Im not blaming him, just saying he has the same trait. I cant think of another lazy player at the Albion to compare him to in the last year.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DAMANCLAY said:
Im not blaming him, just saying he has the same trait. I cant think of another lazy player at the Albion to compare him to in the last year.

Why does it have to be someones fault? could it just not be his style?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
Why does it have to be someones fault? could it just not be his style?

Well it didn't seem to be when he first started here, so id presume it would be someone's fault. And he wasn't lazy at the end of the season so i presume something in between may well have had something to do with it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Guaranteed full season bench warmer at best, if that's what he wants it shows a remarkable lack of ambition imo. One more season here with a glut of goals and ability on display he would walk into a Championship side at worst. Best option for him is to forget the money for a season and get his head down and prove he has what most of us think, that he is an excellent player in the making but needs to serve an apprenteship.

He has absolutley no chance of breaking into Sheff Utds struggling, and they will, 1st team.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DAMANCLAY said:
Well it didn't seem to be when he first started here, so id presume it would be someone's fault. And he wasn't lazy at the end of the season so i presume something in between may well have had something to do with it.

He was laid back when he first came - people just used the term unfit instead of lazy.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
He was laid back when he first came - people just used the term unfit instead of lazy.

I dont remember that, still from the performances I saw at the start of the season he seemed to make some effort to chase lost causes, and didn't during the middle of the season.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
If anyone is too blame it would seem from interviews with the argus it would seem ckr blames Mcghee

Fair enough.

Just seems a bit of a coincidence that in the middle of the season when he was partnering Knight he wouldn't chase a ball but when GNW came he chased a fair bit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
While Knight was here he was behind Hart, and Carole in the pecking order at times - that seemed to piss him off - and it appears from eports has not forgiven Mcghee/the club for this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
While Knight was here he was behind Hart, and Carole in the pecking order at times - that seemed to piss him off - and it appears from eports has not forgiven Mcghee/the club for this.

If true, which is debatable, that is a pretty shit attitude for a rookie (for want of a better word)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here