Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christians seem to be really good people

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Believing in Adam and Eve is not a requirement of salvation, but believing in the resurrection is.
If you think about it, why would the disciples go from hiding trembling with fear behind locked doors to going around proclaiming the resurrection if it didn't happen, knowing that they risked getting crucified too for doing so? And they did this in Jerusalem, the very city where the crucifixion happened. If it didn't happen, their opponents could have just said, "Look, there's his dead body." But they couldn't do that because his body had gone. Muhammad's body is still in Medina, but Jesus's body has gone.
So if I understand correctly. The bible (both old and new) is the word of god and is infallible …. apart from the bits that are obviously bollocks except about JC and rising from the dead, which is also bollocks but central to Christianity. Cake and eat it?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Christians = kiddy fiddlers
Muslims = terrorists
Religious faith of any kind = controlled cults

The same boring insulting ignorant sweeping statements get made every time, in jest or in seriousness, as this thread demonstrably shows. No idea why people feel the need, if it’s not your way of life then surely just respect it is for billions of others?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are Christians and catholics the same thing? All I know is nuns are f***ing evil and priests are nonces, I’ve generally got no time for god botherers
No - Catholic women are absolute filth in bed !

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My old boss got drunk over dinner one night and told me how he had become born again. His wife had an official religious name that he started using instead of her actual name. I did a bit of probing as I normally couldn't care less but remembered the rather damning comments he had made previously.

Anyway, within 30 minutes of this and more red wine down, we moved onto conversations about all of the places he used to download dodgy copies of movies from. And then onto our colleague who he wished he had met years before when he was unmarried.

So within 30 minutes, he had broken two of the commandments.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
People feel the desire for meaning, some people feel the need to know there's a God who cares about them, the desire for a personal God. God has put this need in us to draw us to him.
Bollox.

People are weak, people question life and meaning and when they are not strong enough to believe in themselves and need a crux or an excuse, religion fills that need, it preys on weakness and low self esteem. Anyone can have goodness and light in their heart and life, you do not need a divine figurehead to be spiritual.
This need finds its satisfaction in Jesus. He is the one who meets this need.
Jesus is or was not that special, he was a traveller who went to Egypt, learnt about their past religions and stole John the Baptists teachings, twisted them along with the knowledge he learnt in Egypt and had not that many followers in his life, he was if anything a bit of freedom fighter nothing more than a 2 bob religious nut on the circuit. The cult grew and the Romans became afraid in times of trouble, came along took over the cult and gave it religious kudos and again twisted the narrative to suit them, dropped whole passages of the teachings etc etc, it is all so far fetched. There are some historical events that actual occurred along with real people, but they have been twisted as well. Christianity throughout its history and world has incorporated local beliefs and traditions altering them to appease the locals making the religion more palatable to them.
Why do you need to do that, if yours is the true religion, unless it is all rubbish and only needed to control the masses.

Question which sums up Christianity for me...

What do you think Jebus looked like ?
Was he the white, blonde haired blue eyed hero, you see portrayed in stain glass windows, and books ?
Or
A middle eastern, dark haired, brown eyed hunched back ?

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Muslims = terrorists

The same boring insulting ignorant sweeping statements get made every time, in jest or in seriousness, as this thread demonstrably shows. No idea why people feel the need, if it’s not your way of life then surely just respect it is for billions of others?
Two way street, isn't it?

I'm sure homosexuals in deeply religious places would like their way of life to be respected too.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Not sure if “caught” is the right term, he’s certainly given us the option to voice disgust against a corrupt, evil, brain washing cult though
He's certainly given us the chance to discuss this topic freely without any concerns about derailing any other threads.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I went to church for several years

some of the worst people I've ever met are Christian, and the best people I've ever met aren't

I don't think there's necessarily a direct correlation

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Almost every Christian I've met seems to be a genuinely really good person. Like, ridiculously good - always wanting to do the right thing, and aspiring to be the best person they can be.

Not sure if it's just Christian values, or whether it's the belief that there is a God judging them for their actions, but either way for whatever reason they seem to be very good people... model citizens, almost.
You are obviously fishing for a reaction with the thread to get people to trash Christianity but just for the record for those that are oblivious to that ‘summer window’ agenda, your comments are completely off base as it happens ( and I speak from 30 years of being part of ( and working in) a church or christian organisation.

Over the years ( both in a work and worship related context) I have met ‘Christian’ bullies (physical, emotional and spiritual), thieves ( of church funds, property) , abusers ( of power, of vulnerable people), egotistical and selfish people, narcissists and those that dabble in very sick interpretations of Christian mysticism or those poor folk who are just clearly suffering with mental health issues where faith becomes an extorted expression of their addled minds. I have met an equal number of Christians that became victims of that behaviour in their own church communities or organisations and were irrevocably damaged as a result.

Of course that does nothing to contradict with the theological basis of Christianity - in that the fundamental message is that Christ came to save ‘sinners’, heal the sick etc etc - not ‘save the perfect’. It is completely in conformity with church teaching that those that profess the Christian faith recognise their own ‘evil’, ‘sinful’ behaviour as a starting point in recognising the need for redemption/ forgiveness - being a ‘good person’ is not a prerequisite for being a Christian. The only difference between those that claim to be ‘Christians’ and those that don’t is that the former are more theologically more culpable in that they have supposedly had they eyes opened by faith and should know better their failings and ‘sinful behaviour’ by virtue of revelation and spiritual insight/self- examination .

Charity and faith are distinct from professing an organised religious perspective on the world - the world is full of kind, caring and loving people who even sacrifice their lives to help others but do not subscribe to the Christian faith nor need to to live a ‘good life’. People who donate hours of their time to charitable work and people who maintain a fundamental faith in the goodness of others without professing any kind of religious faith at all.

That is not to say, that a believe in Christian doctrine informs and models behaviour because yes, that’s also the whole point of being a Christian ( ‘a follower of Christ’)

BUT ‘Beware of wolves in sheep’s clothing’ - and do not judge the book by the cover - it is a very warped view of Christianity to think you have to be a ’good person’ to qualify as a Christian or that just because someone ‘appears’ to be a good person or outwardly practicing Christian practices , that they actually are.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Muslims = terrorists

Literally 1000s of kids that grew up in orphanages operated by the Catholic Church during the 50s 60s and 70s will probably challenge your “boring insulting ignorant sweeping statement” line.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Muslims = terrorists

Many of these statements are bourne out of the influence of the billions who believe in their many gods have over those that believe they don't exist. The power religion exerts on all of us can only be tempered in a small way by retorting back that it's all made up crap.

I didn't need to test my "faith" when I lost my wife last year or when my friend lost his young son. If, if there is a God then he must be evil.

I can live my life without the need to spread my beliefs I don't need to doctrine others.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Enjoying this thread - my tuppence-worth:

- religion is heavily monetised these days (outside of the Vatican / Catholicism point made earlier). It is very easy to create your own religion in the U.S. (for example) and enjoy various tax exemptions. Then you just need a few hyped up followers to donate and you can rinse them dry. This has given rise to particularly extreme ‘Christian’ groups in the U.S.

- Nuns: in my experience, absolute shithead teachers, but excellent bakers.

- quite fancy watching Life of Brian.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very much a generalisation I know but bible thumpers in my experience tend to be holier than thou and unwilling to even consider an opinion that is not the same as theirs as being valid :shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Well, to add in my two cents: I've known some Christians who are lovely, thoughtful and kind people as well as others who use Christianity as a reason to victimise and exclude people. I've also known plenty of non-Christians who are lovely thoughtful and kind people as well as others who are just horrible people.

Can't say I've noticed any difference in the ratio as such across those groups. It's not for me, but who am I to judge?

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Where I think the religious do have some right to feel frustrated, is that there’s an immediate belief that if you publicly identify with a religion, that you flawlessly follow all of its precepts without fail.

Most religions are quite specific that humans are fallible, and actively accept those whose behaviour falls a long way short of that proscribed by their religion. The qualities of mercy and forgiveness feature quite highly in many organized religions.

However, that is precisely why I cannot agree with the OPs initial statement, christians are no better or worse than those of any other (or no) religion.

My objection to most organized religions is that they make no efforts to distinguish between genuine repentant sinners, and those who are holding their religion like a kite shield, in an effort to hold off the consequences of their ongoing poor behaviour that benefits them at the expense of others.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here