Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christians seem to be really good people

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Almost every Christian I've met seems to be a genuinely really good person. Like, ridiculously good - always wanting to do the right thing, and aspiring to be the best person they can be.

Not sure if it's just Christian values, or whether it's the belief that there is a God judging them for their actions, but either way for whatever reason they seem to be very good people... model citizens, almost.

Makes me wonder whether the demise of Christianity is a bad thing - and that atheism has resulted in selfishness and narcissism, where nothing matters but oneself.
I’d disagree when it comes to certain Catholic priests, but you probably knew that already.

No amount of confession makes up for interfering with little boys.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I’d disagree when it comes to certain Catholic priests, but you probably knew that already.

No amount of confession makes up for interfering with little boys.
This priest, after the CPS decided not to prosecute him because of ill health, was allowed to die in communal religious accommodation connected to a school. Not particularly historical, he died in 2000, and I know at least one of his survivors who is still suffering. The police described him as a "prolific paedophile". Growing up a Catholic and at Salesian and other schools I've got too many stories like this and it's why Mini-Exile will never go anywhere near a church.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You know, I've written a couple of versions of this post. Each of them were a bit too combative in expressing my disdain for religion of any kind. So instead I'll just say: each to their own. It's not for me.

Oh and if people could stop using religion to spread hatred that'd be nice as well.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Almost every Christian I've met seems to be a genuinely really good person. Like, ridiculously good - always wanting to do the right thing, and aspiring to be the best person they can be.

Not sure if it's just Christian values, or whether it's the belief that there is a God judging them for their actions, but either way for whatever reason they seem to be very good people... model citizens, almost.

Makes me wonder whether the demise of Christianity is a bad thing - and that atheism has resulted in selfishness and narcissism, where nothing matters but oneself.
Summertime on NSC, you just cannot beat it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hello guys.

Just wandering into this one

This guy is a teacher in Canada and shares this song about the people he has met

Please have a listen

Thanks for posting, that is heartbreaking.

Similar to what happened in Australia up until the 1970's.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Ask any single mother in Ireland during the last 100 years. The Vatican is so wealthy it could solve World hunger and in Central/South America the church is quite happily to let kids sleep in sewers while it keeps its doors locked.
The kids are probably safer in the sewers though.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I couldn’t and wouldn’t single Christians as a group out ahead of anyone else to be honest.

Along with every other group in society, there will be individuals blessed with grace, empathy and a peaceful mind. Similarly, if you look at American TV evangelism, which is effectively a grift, and the horrific abuse that has been carried out by the Catholic Church and the Church of England, not to mention read your history books, countless atrocities have been carried out in the name of Christianity.

Look at any organized religion, at atheists and agnostics too, and you will find a mix of the good and bad. As was pointed out earlier, it’s a human thing.

Where any organized religion becomes dangerous is where it gets used as an excuse for actions that defy logic. When actions can’t be justified except by saying “It is god’s will” that’s a sure sign that an abuse of power is occurring.

Where (to my mind) atheists and agnostics score over their religious counterparts, is they take responsibility for their actions. There’s no “god’s will” or “the devil made me do it” - they accept accountability for their actions as their own.

I’m more alongside people who take an active interest in improving the world we’re currently in, than those who are content to allow us to wallow in shit in this world, because they’re secure in their belief of reward in a world to come.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Is that based on your Masters degree in New Testament studies?

Here's a collection of parts of the bible that are copied from other religions that have been around far longer, contradictions in the Bible and parts that just don't make sense.

If you read the Bible and genuinely thought "oh yeah this happened" then there's probably not much helping you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There are Christians on this forum but know your audience. It’s never going to go well with the majority.

Of course there are, and we atheists and Christians are able to live in harmony very well. I have nothing against Christians, or people of other faith, and they don't tend to have anything against anyone else either.

I think it's better to see Christianity as a faith, something you believe in, rather than something you can really argue is true. If you try and use stories of the bible to convince an atheist that it's true, you run the risk of getting mocked, because all of the facts say that it's not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here