Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christianity sucks! Anti-Religious Thread Alert (News item really)

Pavilionaire said:
To expand upon my point, say you've got 100 people who are "religious" and 100 people who aren't, I would suggest that the 100 who are "religious" would generally be more considerate towards society and the environment, and make better neighbours, than the 100 who follow no creed.

Complete bollocks. Shame on you.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
But I am sure you would find countless non religious people that do exactly the same stuff. Does it take a religious person to help others?. I don't think so.

I wouldn't expect you to criticize the church in any way Yorkie in the same way you never criticise the Albion.

I'm not tarring anyone with any brush. I take people as I find them. I just don't accept the equation that a person that goes to church or a priest/vicar/rabbi/whatever = good person.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
munster monch said:
But I am sure you would find countless non religious people that do exactly the same stuff. Does it take a religious person to help others?. I don't think so.

I wouldn't expect you to criticize the church in any way Yorkie in the same way you never criticise the Albion.

I'm not tarring anyone with any brush. I take people as I find them. I just don't accept the equation that a person that goes to church or a priest/vicar/rabbi/whatever = good person.

Contraversial post coming up.

It isn't going to church that makes someone a good person. You can put a monkey in a garage and it doesn't make it a car.

It is the power of the Holy Spirit working in someone that helps them resist temptation and to be good.

Yorkie said:
Just don't tar everybody with the same brush. I know of a man working in Africa who has just lost his wife with cancer, went back out to Tanzinia, is helping to build a childrens school and then has been in hospital with malaria for three weeks.
He is now back working with the people to help improve their lives.

People like him never get in the paper. I know more like him.

So? I know plenty of people that work long and hard for charities, the poor, deprived people/areas, and mostly as volunteers. These same people have no religious beliefs whatsoever and find the idea of organised religion abhorrant, as do I. They just do it because they want to.

Dandyman

In London village.
Pavilionaire said:
To expand upon my point, say you've got 100 people who are "religious" and 100 people who aren't, I would suggest that the 100 who are "religious" would generally be more considerate towards society and the environment, and make better neighbours, than the 100 who follow no creed.

Even if those 100 all thought that homosexuals were evil, that women were only good for procreation and cooking and Genesis was a literal truth ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
So? I know plenty of people that work long and hard for charities, the poor, deprived people/areas, and mostly as volunteers. These same people have no religious beliefs whatsoever and find the idea of organised religion abhorrant, as do I. They just do it because they want to.

I don't wish to decry what you are saying but exactly how many people do you know who are doing that? (asked very gently with a curious tone)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:

It is the power of the Holy Spirit working in someone that helps them resist temptation and to be good.

I put it down to good parenting in my case.

(if only my mother could hear my say that, it would be cake CENTRAL for weeks.)

Dandyman

In London village.
Yorkie said:

It isn't going to church that makes someone a good person. You can put a monkey in a garage and it doesn't make it a car.

Alternatively the religious are motivated by the concepts of Heaven and Hell in determining their actions and choices whereas the rest of us make moral and political choices based on rational judgement. Or is that just the Devil in me talking ? :flameboun

Yorkie said:

As it's you I won't swear, but needless to say I do not agree with that in the slightest.

Goodness comes from within and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Holy Spirit or indeed any other fabricated outside influence.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Dandyman said:
Even if those 100 all thought that homosexuals were evil, that women were only good for procreation and cooking and Genesis was a literal truth ?

marvellous the homosexual debate has arisen,

one of my ex's was a christian and some of her good friends were very homophobic whats with that hey ?

Yorkie said:

Complete and utter bollocks.

Believe what you like, but that is absolute rubbish as far as I'm concerned.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I am not going to carry on with this thread because there are some massive massive generalisations going on.

I like homesexuals but not their practises. I cannot prove the existence of the Holy Spirit to you.

I will let it rest there but the law says you cannot attack me because of my beliefs and the law also says I cannot attack someone because they are Muslim, Sikh or whatever.

Everybody ignored my previous post about Muslims and Sikhs. They do hate each other. Funny nothing ever gets mentioned about that......

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Safeway said:
As it's you I won't swear, but needless to say I do not agree with that in the slightest.

Goodness comes from within and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Holy Spirit or indeed any other fabricated outside influence.

I agree with both of you.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
That's what i don't get. Someone tells you being gay is wrong and you believe it without question.

f***ing well wrong.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Argh! Potentially interesting debate ruined by stupid generalisations!!!

MM - no respect for people who are religious? Why the f*ck not? They are people. They are not necessarily good or bad. You know nothing about scores and scores of church goers, yet you quite happily say you dont respect them? Thats the most blinkered thing Ive ever heard. My mum is a catholic, I couldnt give 2 shits about religion. I have friends who make up every denomination going. I respect them all. In fact, i respect the fact people can follow a religion in the face of all the problems attached to it. Whether I agree with them or not, fair play. Same time, I repsect those who dont care about religion!

Yorkie - Holy spirit? The holy spirit touching good people argument has been done to death. It doesnt wash. Good people do good things. There is no mysterious god or force pushing them. They do it regardless of religion. They do it because, as free minded GOOD people, they WANT to do it.

The POINT is - blunkett is a to$$er. Not my religious / non-religious friends / beliefs are better than yours.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Faldo, when I said people of the church, I meant the leaders rather than the congregation. It probably is a bit blinkered but I still hold them in the same esteem as politicians. That said I am never disrespectful to them I just wont take it for granted they are good people or have them thinking they are in any way superior to me.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Fair enough MM - Still a generalism, but not nearly as bad.

Steve - I think you owe me a pint for making me gob up coffee over my shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here