Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christianity sucks! Anti-Religious Thread Alert (News item really)

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Rusthall Seagull said:
Yeah.....because you get more Kiddie Fiddlers who are vicars as opposed to accountants don't you??? what kind of argument is that? You must have been reading too much News of the World!

Did I say that, NO I didn't It was reply to pavilionaire who was saying religious people are generally good people !!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Safeway said:
Smooth, I'd love to live in a church, that would be WELL good. Imagine the parties.....

:dance:

Funny, I've always thought that the Catholic cathedral in Liverpool would be a superb venue for a rave up.

metro.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Blunket tried this a few years ago, and it got soundly beaten down by the Lords (yet another example of the Lords doing their job properly - why reform it?). As i understand it, the wording was so wooly and vague, in order to get it past disaproving backbenchers, it would have meant The Life Of Brain would be outlawed, and would probably made most football chants illegal, as a "religion" was defined as group holding a common set of values and beliefs. absolute bollox. And now its back, and they might try to stong arm the Lords to pass it this time.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
REDLAND said:
Did I say that, NO I didn't It was reply to pavilionaire who was saying religious people are generally good people !!

Sorry REDLAND, I thought this was a chat forum mate? I was only putting my answer to your question! You answered 'Even the Kiddie Fiddler Priests?'. I just find that kind of N.O.W mentality strange as there are many, many good priests. My point is that there are not proportionally more 'evil' ones than there are in any other walk of life!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To expand upon my point, say you've got 100 people who are "religious" and 100 people who aren't, I would suggest that the 100 who are "religious" would generally be more considerate towards society and the environment, and make better neighbours, than the 100 who follow no creed.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rusthall Seagull said:
Sorry REDLAND, I thought this was a chat forum mate? I was only putting my answer to your question! You answered 'Even the Kiddie Fiddler Priests?'. I just find that kind of N.O.W mentality strange as there are many, many good priests. My point is that there are not proportionally more 'evil' ones than there are in any other walk of life!

Well said Rusthall.

Unfortunately the few evil ones are the ones who get in the news and you never heard about the thousands and thousands of good priests, vicars, ministers, pastors etc (of whichever denomination) who are out there serving the community, feeding the homeless etc.

jail bird

Oct 19, 2003
sin bin
Pavilionaire said:
To expand upon my point, say you've got 100 people who are "religious" and 100 people who aren't, I would suggest that the 100 who are "religious" would generally be more considerate towards society and the environment, and make better neighbours, than the 100 who follow no creed.

utter rubbish.

whether you are a good or a bad person is dependent on your beliefs regardless of religion. you could have an 'non-religious' person who is strongly against killing another human being and a 'religious' person who believes it is perfectly acceptable to kill another in the name of their god.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The best bar i ever saw was the picture and piano in Nottingham. Used to be a massive church, a sight to behold....

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Yorkie said:
Well said Rusthall.

Unfortunately the few evil ones are the ones who get in the news and you never heard about the thousands and thousands of good priests, vicars, ministers, pastors etc (of whichever denomination) who are out there serving the community, feeding the homeless etc.

a few ?

""In the U.S., almost 200 Catholic priests have been suspended in 18 different states since the child abuse scandal broke in January, while in Europe clergy scandals are glossed over or repressed. ""

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
REDLAND said:
a few ?

""In the U.S., almost 200 Catholic priests have been suspended in 18 different states since the child abuse scandal broke in January, while in Europe clergy scandals are glossed over or repressed. ""

An ironic post considering your signature.

How many priests does the Catholic church employ? I am sure it runs into thousands and thousands. Not having been a Catholic I wouldn't know.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I agree that there are a just a small minority of kiddy fiddler priests. It can't help that the catholic church is so outdated that it doesn't let priests marry. What is worse though is that the covering up of these monsters goes right the way up to the very top and by that I mean the Pope. Not now obviously as the poor guy doesn't know which day of the week it is and has now said it is wrong for catholics to take communion with protestants which has really helped towards peace. All that happened to these priests etc was that they were just moved to another parish to start all over again but thanks to the media, mainly, they have been exposed (no pun intended) properly and kicked out of the church. It doesn't help to have such a god fearing society that the actions of these people go unquestioned as they just take advantage of their position.

There has been a lot recently here in ireland about the systematic abuse by so called christian people. Whether it was priests, The Sisters of Mercy or teachers at the Christian brothers schools. Abuse and cruelty towards underpriveliged children and single mothers has been widespread. I am not exaggerating either, you only have to listen to the radio to hear harrowing personal accounts from the victims.

So ultimately, although only a few were doing it the rest were turning a blind eye and that makes them all just as guilty in my book. I have the same respect for people of the church as I do for politicians. NONE.

What I do not understand is how these people reconcile their actions with being christians.

Give me a good person than a christian any day of the week

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Basically, as I understand it, it is a law against religious incitement, and utterly unenforceable.

I can just imagine Blunkett sitting back in his chair, rubbing his hands together (after missing a couple of times), saying to himself "well - thats dealt with those nasty al qaeda types. Now - which of the rest of the worlds problems shall I solve. I know - world hunger! I'll make it illegal to leave leftovers... sorted!".

The whole "good person - bad person" argument isn't really the point. The fact that it is a work of stupidity, is.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Pavilionaire said:

What a pile of offensive bollocks.

Ahem.

The point about outlawing incitement to religious hatred is to bring it into line with racial hatred.

People aren't allowed to get away with statements like "Michael Howard is Jewish. I hate him. Therefore we should attack synagogues".

To my way of thinking, it is just as offensive to say "Cherie Blair is Catholic. I hate her. Therefore we should attack Catholic churches". Or "Osama Bin Ladin is a Muslim. I hate him. Therefore we should attack mosques".

These are extremes, of course. Nobody attacks synagogues any more, because race relations legislation is on top of that. Catholic churches are rarely attacked. But mosques are looking pretty vulnerable right now.

However ... in the hands of Blunkett, God knows what a mess this proposed legislation might end up looking like.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
To my way of thinking, it is just as offensive to say "Cherie Blair is Catholic. I hate her. Therefore we should attack Catholic churches". Or "Osama Bin Ladin is a Muslim. I hate him. Therefore we should attack mosques".

exactly, so whats to stop Religious groups saying (in the extreme) "He's an Aethiest - burn down his house!" - same principle and in Blunketts eyes (sorry) a criminal offence.....but it wont be as he's just out to defend the religious and not care for those who are not.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Give me a good person than a christian any day of the week [/B][/QUOTE]

How about a christian that is a nice person???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
munster monch said:

Give me a good person than a christian any day of the week

Just don't tar everybody with the same brush. I know of a man working in Africa who has just lost his wife with cancer, went back out to Tanzinia, is helping to build a childrens school and then has been in hospital with malaria for three weeks.
He is now back working with the people to help improve their lives.

People like him never get in the paper. I know more like him.

CrabtreeBHA said:
exactly, so whats to stop Religious groups saying (in the extreme) "He's an Aethiest - burn down his house!" - same principle and in Blunketts eyes (sorry) a criminal offence.....but it wont be as he's just out to defend the religious and not care for those who are not.
But atheists aren't a group. They'll only need protection when people start saying "He's an atheist. Let's burn down some other atheist's house".

Threatening individuals, as in your example, is already a criminal offence.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here