Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The Forest forum feels very toxic on there. Chris deserves a chance into next season and they should stay up - although the bottom three all have two games in hand on Forest. They're averaging just under a goal a game though.

Will Muzza net a few once his drought's over or has age caught up with him? (as Forest fans seem to think). Knocky seems a favourite though.

They're at Watford, live on Sky, Saturday lunchtime next.

Apparently Forest were on top and both Murray and Knockaert missed good chances. The problem even spreads to ex players!

I did read on here a couple of days ago that Murray would be in double figures already if he was still with us which is just laughable. Absolute legend but I’m amazed he’s starting most games, even for a Championship side. I still think he should have retired last summer.

Forest will be fine, they’ve got enough points, and then hopefully Chris can do a bit of a rebuilding job in the summer and push on next season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Apparently Forest were on top and both Murray and Knockaert missed good chances. The problem even spreads to ex players!

I did read on here a couple of days ago that Murray would be in double figures already if he was still with us which is just laughable. Absolute legend but I’m amazed he’s starting most games, even for a Championship side. I still think he should have retired last summer.

Forest will be fine, they’ve got enough points, and then hopefully Chris can do a bit of a rebuilding job in the summer and push on next season.

Saw their game yesterday as "under 2.5 goals" in Nottingham games is currently my betting favorite.

Thought they were pretty good actually, they are often dire to watch but outplayed Luton for the most part of the game.

As for Glenn, disagree with the "should have stopped last summer" part - if you think something is fun you should go on. The "stop at the top" thing is silly, to slowly disintegrate into shit is what we all do yet most of us are not jumping the bridge anyway. Same goes for footballers - if they think its fun and someone wants them, they should play until they cant walk anymore. Agree he wouldnt score a lot in Brighton either... people assume the team would create as many chances with Glenn as with other strikers which I dont believe would be the case.

Also agree, for the good of Nottingham, that while I think he could be a starter in pretty much any League One team, he shouldnt be a starter in the Championship if they want to win football games. Lewis Grabban is injured though so they dont really have a lot of options. Lyle Taylor is not exactly a world beater.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Saw their game yesterday as "under 2.5 goals" in Nottingham games is currently my betting favorite.

Thought they were pretty good actually, they are often dire to watch but outplayed Luton for the most part of the game.

As for Glenn, disagree with the "should have stopped last summer" part - if you think something is fun you should go on. The "stop at the top" thing is silly, to slowly disintegrate into shit is what we all do yet most of us are not jumping the bridge anyway. Same goes for footballers - if they think its fun and someone wants them, they should play until they cant walk anymore. Agree he wouldnt score a lot in Brighton either... people assume the team would create as many chances with Glenn as with other strikers which I dont believe would be the case.

Also agree, for the good of Nottingham, that while I think he could be a starter in pretty much any League One team, he shouldnt be a starter in the Championship if they want to win football games. Lewis Grabban is injured though so they dont really have a lot of options. Lyle Taylor is not exactly a world beater.

Yeah agree about not stopping to early if you're enjoying what you're doing. What I probably should have said was that the higher levels of professional football are too much for him now and a lower league may well have been a better idea. The Championship, as the cliche goes, is a tough, physical league and I think it's too much for him now. Interestingly his 2 goals have both come against Wycombe who are basically a League 1 side and will be next season so you're probably right about that level.

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
Sheffield Wednesday v Rotherham tonight. That's a MASSIVE local derby game at the bottom of the Championship. :lolol:

Having slept on it, there's no way Forest will go down as long as they keep playing well on a consistent basis. I was frustrated for my Championship Fantasy team where hidden-gem Knocky could have assisted two or three goals last night. I feel a lot of emotion for four of our recent ex-employees. I hope the chairman sees the long-term plan that Chris will have and getting them into the Premier League eventually.

I didn't realise Glenn was still only 37. Once he scores, more goals will surely follow. :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sheffield Wednesday v Rotherham tonight. That's a MASSIVE local derby game at the bottom of the Championship. :lolol:

Having slept on it, there's no way Forest will go down as long as they keep playing well on a consistent basis. I was frustrated for my Championship Fantasy team where hidden-gem Knocky could have assisted two or three goals last night. I feel a lot of emotion for four of our recent ex-employees. I hope the chairman sees the long-term plan that Chris will have and getting them into the Premier League eventually.

I didn't realise Glenn was still only 37. Once he scores, more goals will surely follow. :thumbsup:

These are a good side.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Seeing how long recent previous incumbents have been given at the helm, l wouldn't hold to much hope for Chris, unless he starts to turn things around quickly next season.

Glenn ONLY 37? crikey l find it truly amazing how he is still holding down at such a high level of football at such an advanced age.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Forest forum feels very toxic on there. Chris deserves a chance into next season and they should stay up - although the bottom three all have two games in hand on Forest. They're averaging just under a goal a game though.

He's pretty much steered them to safety after a dreadful first half. Since losing to Brentford just before christmas they're P15, W7, D5, L3 (Swansea, Boro, Luton) - thats top 6 form.
They only really need 5 or 6 points from the last 12. Forum might be sniffy based on one result but i think nearly everyone thinks Hughton has done his magic again and transformed them.
Of course next season - promotion will be expected but you wouldn't bet against it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think l'd bet against it, yes he has probably steered Forest to safety, but they still aren't that good, and promotion is a long way off yet. A lot of work to do in the summer.

yep. he needs support from the owners in terms of some key incoming and patience. To be fair it took him 3 seasons with the Albion.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Well we'll never know whether that was true or not, you are assuming with the extra player on the pitch we would have gone on to score another goal. It might not have happened anyway.

well that is undeniably true, if one chooses to take an objective standpoint, but I prefer my more jaundiced view.

Mike Dean robbed us!

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Cardiff with 27% possession

Cardiff won 4-0

They had 31% possession against Bournemouth and won 2-1

And against Preston at home the Saturday before they had 36% possession and won 4-0.

Football is a game based on results and McCarthy (another manager who is underrated) is getting the results at the moment - big-time. When McCarthy took over in January they were 15th and on a run of five losses - since he became manager they have P10 W7 D3 GF 23 GA 7 - and they are now in 6th place. Who gives a shite how much possession they have.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
yep. he needs support from the owners in terms of some key incoming and patience. To be fair it took him 3 seasons with the Albion.
The Forest squad is bloated with overpaid and over hyped players - a major cull is needed but the problem is that these players will not want to move because of the contracts they have. For example, Michael Hefele hasn't played this year and is is reputed to be on £15K a week - Carl Jenkinson has played 5 times this season and is on £25K a week. Scott McKenna came in last summer has played less than half the games and is on £15K a week. Grabban is on £30K a week and has contributed all of 3 goals this season. Now Forest are nowhere near the highest paid salaries in the Championship (Stoke are said to have 9 players earning £50K+ a week) - but they are paying high salaries to players that would not get the same money anywhere else.

The parachute payments skew everything in the Championship and it will be interesting to see if the clubs in the Championship will implement an £18million a year salary cap as is being proposed.

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
None of the three old Brighton Musketeers start tonight for Nottingham Forest in their tough game against league leaders Norwich.

And only Murray makes the subs bench. The beginning of the end? I can't see a contract being offered in the summer unless he notches a few goals before then. We'll see.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here