Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They have a pretty nice schedule going forward and 45 points to play for. With a minor miracle, they could do it this season. Their squad is certainly good enough to finish at least in the top 10.

It's actually a poor squad. The best players are the players he brought in on loan. With the exception of Worrall an the keeper Samba. He is one of the best keepers outside the PL.

No chance of play offs. Having to keep clean sheets to pick up points. Practically the exact same as he had to do when he first arrived at Brighton

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Really, I must say that statement is up there as one of the strangest I’ve heard in over 20 years of being a member here, wow.
Totally disagree. If you're someone who is used to going home and away every week. It's hard to relate to players if you've rarely seen in the flesh.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's actually a poor squad. The best players are the players he brought in on loan. With the exception of Worrall an the keeper Samba. He is one of the best keepers outside the PL.

No chance of play offs. Having to keep clean sheets to pick up points. Practically the exact same as he had to do when he first arrived at Brighton

I think its quite good. The 7th place last season was not all down to Lamouchi being some demon manager and the only real loss after the season was Matty Cash, they have a lot of quality, experience and players who have proved their competence in the Championship.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think its quite good. The 7th place last season was not all down to Lamouchi being some demon manager and the only real loss after the season was Matty Cash, they have a lot of quality, experience and players who have proved their competence in the Championship.

Several Mercenaries were brought in during the Summer in their 30s who can't even get in the side. I mean who gives 3 year contracts to players on the way down at that age who have an attitude and think
turning up that they are doing the club a favour.

And some of the dross brought in from abroad is clogging up the squad. Too many players makes it difficult to have meaningful training sessions.

Hopefully it will all get addressed in the summer and they will push on next year with a good "Fire Sale" being the order of the day followed by better recruitment in the next transfer window.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Totally disagree. If you're someone who is used to going home and away every week. It's hard to relate to players if you've rarely seen in the flesh.

Well I can honestly say when it was the norm I only went to a handful of away games but I don’t feel the need to ‘relate’ to the players to support them, anyone wearing the colours gets my support, anyone not, well they are the enemy!!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Well I can honestly say when it was the norm I only went to a handful of away games but I don’t feel the need to ‘relate’ to the players to support them, anyone wearing the colours gets my support, anyone not, well they are the enemy!!
Ok. Everyone is different. It'll come in time. But when you've invested 4 years of your life watching Knockaert and Glenn up and down the land it's hard to switch that off. Whereas is Welbeck and Lallana left in the summer I'd struggle to give a toss because they don't feel like 'ours' yet.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
This.

And the reason is racism.

Part of me thinks that some people are too stupid to realise when they are being racist and part of me thinks that some people are too racist to realise when they are being stupid. Pass me a Venn diagram pencil and I'll....ah, well.

Completely agree. The reason people started taking the knee was in support of an American police officer who got arrested and charged after he rightfully killed that rapist scum by kneeling on him. It started as an outcry in America and made its way here, a show of solidarity towards the officer. But now it’s some sort of black racist gesture or something. It’s weird how they have hijacked it and are now all ‘victims’.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Inclined to agree with you. Find it quite bizarre that some are relate to a three ex players rather than those now wearing the shirt. I suspect part of the issue for them is the fact that for most of the last 12 months we haven't been able to see the current crop.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Delighted that Chris seems to be winning over the Forest fans.

As many of us have said, there is no doubt whatsoever that given time he will get Forest there or thereabouts for promotion. If not this season then I’d bet the house on promotion place minimum the next.

Dale and Shane should be able to join the party later in the year. It’d be nice if we could loan them a Molumby or a Jenks too.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ok. Everyone is different. It'll come in time. But when you've invested 4 years of your life watching Knockaert and Glenn up and down the land it's hard to switch that off. Whereas is Welbeck and Lallana left in the summer I'd struggle to give a toss because they don't feel like 'ours' yet.

Very fair and agree to an extent. I always want our ex-players to do well, unless they’ve been a pillock ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
This.

And the reason is racism.

Part of me thinks that some people are too stupid to realise when they are being racist and part of me thinks that some people are too racist to realise when they are being stupid. Pass me a Venn diagram pencil and I'll....ah, well.

7532521_orig.png

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
People seem to think CH will do with Forest what he did with us. What they seem to forget is the Bloom factor. Forest, I believe, are owned by a Greek who also owns Olympiakos. I wonder where his priority will be? Also, his estimated worth is $640m which I would hazard a guess is considerably less than Bloom.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Fair point [emoji106]

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Delighted that Chris seems to be winning over the Forest fans.

As many of us have said, there is no doubt whatsoever that given time he will get Forest there or thereabouts for promotion. If not this season then I’d bet the house on promotion place minimum the next.

Dale and Shane should be able to join the party later in the year. It’d be nice if we could loan them a Molumby or a Jenks too.

Never mind promotion, he has to keep them up first! they aren't out of relegation danger yet. I've a feeling that promotion might be a project that will take more than just a single season. As good a manager as Chris is, he might find this task more difficult than most. Lets hope that he is given the necessary time to achieve it.

Why do you necessarily assume that Stephens and Duffy will end up at Forest? inside info?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
People seem to think CH will do with Forest what he did with us. What they seem to forget is the Bloom factor. Forest, I believe, are owned by a Greek who also owns Olympiakos. I wonder where his priority will be? Also, his estimated worth is $640m which I would hazard a guess is considerably less than Bloom.

Exactly. Plus just because Chris has got teams promoted before, doesn't necessarily mean he will do it every time.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

It is about half of Bloom's net worth. However, the amount an owner is willing to pump into a club makes a big difference in the PL - less of an impact in the Championship. Furthermore, Hughton got the Mike Ashly owned- Newcastle promoted - and there are few worse owners in the entire 4 divisions.

FFP rules have been becoming stricter over the past 3/4 years which is part of the reason why the championship is far more competitive than the PL. On top of that covid has had a much bigger impact on the revenues of Championship clubs which is also a reason why the three relegated teams are in the top six of the championship and all could be promoted.

Forest have flattered to deceive for many seasons now - the club were extremely lucky to end up where they did on the table last season. And as has been pointed out - the owners significantly overspent on the wrong players during the summer in the mistaken belief that they were a few high-priced players away from promotion. The chickens came home to roost very quickly this season (and this could have an impact on what Hughton can do and the resources he has available under FFP).

Hughton inherited a mess - with a squad of 35 overpaid and underperforming players. As has also been pointed out - apart from Worrell and Samba - the best players are the loanees that Hughton brought in - and the couple of kids he promoted (particularly Mighten). There will have to be a huge clearout during the summer - and it will take time to rebuild. They might challenge for the play-offs next season but it will take Hughton time to get the right players in and to gel them as a team. Even if he succeeds in getting them promoted (and there are no guarantees) - the gap between the PL and the Championship has widened significantly over the past year with covid - and it will be increasingly difficult for promoted teams to maintain PL status. I can see very few (if any) promoted teams staying up over the coming 2/3 years - Brighton were lucky to get promoted when they did.

As for Duffy ending up at Forest - can't see it happening at the moment. Duffy has completely blown his reputation while at Celtic - he has very little value and nobody is going to pay anything significant for him. He might have an opportunity to redeem himself with the Irish upcoming world cup games (Egan will miss them because of injury) - but could just as easily be left out (Stephen Kenny wants the CBs to play football and he defends with a high line which Duffy cannot do). Clark, O'Shea and Collins are all ahead of him on the pecking order at the moment. Furthermore, he has 2 1/2 years left on his contract at £45K a week. Forest will not be able or willing to pay that (and neither will anyone else) and the only way I see Duffy leaving is if Brighton decide to buy out his contract and give him the £5+million remaining on it. Duffy can just sit on the bench and draw his paycheck. He could find his way to Forest on loan - but - again - Brighton would have to pay most of his wages (significantly more than Celtic are paying).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here