Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child free flights

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I blame the parents - the kids are bored, hungry or tired and the parents just don't seem to be in control of things.

I have taken cloud junior on many flights, longhaul and shorthaul, and he hasn't cried once. He also knows he's not allowed to kick the seat in front.
Very much this. It's all about being organised as a parent (you have to do your best to ensure they are not going to be too bored, and being prepared to discipline your child. I find it far FAR more annoying seeing a kid get away with shite anti social behaviour than a kid crying for a short while because his parents have told him/her off for good reason.

But it's always a grey area. I remember flying to LA and the two year toddler on the other side of the aisle was having his bottom WHACKED every time he stood up in the chair. The boy was actually being very sweet and not irritating anyone, the parents were physically absusing him and hadn't brought him a SINGLE toy to play with. I complained to the staff, and so it turned out did several others. The stewards ended up reporting him to social services.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Hooray..... I fookin hate the presumption of these pricks that they are too important to stick a case in the hold.... soft carry on bags mould nicely into overhead lockers...... suitcases do not.

you can imagine them on the titanic these sort of blokes. trying to get a suitcase in a lifeboat. probably whilst dressed as a bird and shoving kids into the sea.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
For me its also a personal thing,... I end up barely being able to get my coat/duty frees/small hand luggage anywhere near an overhead locker,... most of the suitcase brigade seem to be happy to pay for priority boarding,... and thus fill the lockers before the rest of us get on board.

that pretty much sums up the problem. blame the airline for allowing me to really push the rules to the max irrrespective of my fellow passengers. thats genius.

What a load of bollocks.

I bet you're the sort of person that moans on a train at bigger framed people for sitting over half your seat blaming them rather than the train companies that make the seats so damn small. The size limits are in place, and people that overstep these limits are refused until they adhere to them. I've seen people with big bags turned away and told to pay or reduce the size. If you're unhappy with how much people are allowed to take onto the flight that's an issue to take up with the airline, not the individual. I'll be dammed if I'm paying £60 to put a small suitcase in the hold just so someone else can use the space. I paid for my ticket, and I'll use whatever space is allocated to me. I won't pay more to put my luggage in hold when it is small enough to go in the overhead compartments.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What a load of bollocks.

I bet you're the sort of person that moans on a train at bigger framed people for sitting over half your seat blaming them rather than the train companies that make the seats so damn small. The size limits are in place, and people that overstep these limits are refused until they adhere to them. I've seen people with big bags turned away and told to pay or reduce the size. If you're unhappy with how much people are allowed to take onto the flight that's an issue to take up with the airline, not the individual. I'll be dammed if I'm paying £60 to put a small suitcase in the hold just so someone else can use the space. I paid for my ticket, and I'll use whatever space is allocated to me. I won't pay more to put my luggage in hold when it is small enough to go in the overhead compartments.
....and there you have summed up the attitude that is really the issue here...... basically.... f*** you all, I am alright Jack.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What a load of bollocks.

there are a lot of 'I's in that post.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
....and there you have summed up the attitude that is really the issue here...... basically.... f*** you all, I am alright Jack.

there are a lot of 'I's in that post.

You're missing the point. There is allocated space for everyone, for Easy Jet it's no bigger than 56 x 45 x 25cm. If I have a bag with me that is 56 x 45 x 25 or smaller, why is your problem with me and not the airline?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very much this. It's all about being organised as a parent (you have to do your best to ensure they are not going to be too bored, and being prepared to discipline your child. I find it far FAR more annoying seeing a kid get away with shite anti social behaviour than a kid crying for a short while because his parents have told him/her off for good reason.

But it's always a grey area. I remember flying to LA and the two year toddler on the other side of the aisle was having his bottom WHACKED every time he stood up in the chair. The boy was actually being very sweet and not irritating anyone, the parents were physically absusing him and hadn't brought him a SINGLE toy to play with. I complained to the staff, and so it turned out did several others. The stewards ended up reporting him to social services.

I used to work abroad - Australia and The Far East mainly - and racked up an absolute shit load of airmiles which I put towards flights to St Lucia business class. We had our 3 year old with us and he behaved because we had a small bag of toys, some paper and pens and because I eschewed the free booze in favour of sitting with him and showing him how to play the games and watch the cartoons. We didn't get any complaints because he didn't misbehave. In fact there were some far ruder adults on the flight.

As for roll ons blame that delightful cheeky chappy Michael O'Leary and his policy of charging for hold baggage. That's when the rot set in. There is a maximum dimension for hand luggage. You can hardly blame people for using it when the airlines have made it too big for the available rack space.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
You're missing the point. There is allocated space for everyone, for Easy Jet it's no bigger than 56 x 45 x 25cm. If I have a bag with me that is 56x45x25 or smaller, why is your problem with me?

I dont travel on f***ing easyjet

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I used to work abroad - Australia and The Far East mainly - and racked up an absolute shit load of airmiles which I put towards flights to St Lucia business class. We had our 3 year old with us and he behaved because we had a small bag of toys, some paper and pens and because I eschewed the free booze in favour of sitting with him and showing him how to play the games and watch the cartoons. We didn't get any complaints because he didn't misbehave. In fact there were some far ruder adults on the flight.

As for roll ons blame that delightful cheeky chappy Michael O'Leary and his policy of charging for hold baggage. That's when the rot set in. There is a maximum dimension for hand luggage. You can hardly blame people for using it when the airlines have made it too big for the available rack space.

agreed thast when the rot set in

but

yes you can blame them. absolving yourself from any broader responsibility just because someone has told you its theoretically allowed, is not really an appropriate response. thats a horrible way to live.

Camicus

I dont travel on f***ing easyjet

That says it all. You really are comming across as a prize dickhead. My Mil has a villa she travels there twice a month so she choose to take a small peice of luggauge with her it complies with the airlines rules and regs and saves her £1200 a year. I guess that makes her a selfish twunt who cant be arsed to wait at the carousel.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
agreed thast when the rot set in

but

yes you can blame them. absolving yourself from any broader responsibility just because someone has told you its theoretically allowed, is not really an appropriate response. thats a horrible way to live.

There's nothing theoretical about it. You ARE allowed to take a bag of this size with you. If you don't want to do this to make yourself feel good, then don't. I will happily take the space from you, thanks. As a frequent flyer, it adds up having to pay extra to use the hold when you don't need it.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
That says it all. You really are comming across as a prize dickhead. My Mil has a villa she travels there twice a month so she choose to take a small peice of luggauge with her it complies with the airlines rules and regs and saves her £1200 a year. I guess that makes her a selfish twunt who cant be arsed to wait at the carousel.

mate nothing about that post suggests anything regarding alturism or public spiritedness it just tells us someone goes to their holiday home and they save themself some money. i dont see what it contributes to the discussion on restrictions versus courtesy. if your point is someone saves themselves personally some money by using the restrictions to their limit, then you make that point well.

as for me being a prize dickhead it seems plenty here agree with me. people are hoisting themselves with their own petards here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think the point is that are always going to be people who maximise their on-board luggage in an effort to circumvent the carousel, and some of these people will be mighty selfish about it. However, the blame lies with the budget airlines whose policies are clearly f***ing shit and are causing these people to take the piss.

Blaming a handful of people for selfishly holding up the plane is like blaming Hillsborough on the pissed up fans outside at kick off time - no-one is saying anyone pissed couldn't have behaved better, but it's not like people a bit pissed at the football should have been anything unexpected by the authorities.
Equally, no-one is saying that those people who insist on bringing an enormous roll-on to the plane isn't being selfish, but ultimately these selfish mongs should come as no surprise to the airline.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think the point is that are always going to be people who maximise their on-board luggage in an effort to circumvent the carousel, and some of these people will be mighty selfish about it. However, the blame lies with the budget airlines whose policies are clearly f***ing shit and are causing these people to take the piss.

Blaming a handful of people for selfishly holding up the plane is like blaming Hillsborough on the pissed up fans outside at kick off time - no-one is saying anyone pissed couldn't have behaved better, but it's not like people a bit pissed at the football should have been anything unexpected by the authorities.
Equally, no-one is saying that those people who insist on bringing an enormous roll-on to the plane isn't being selfish, but ultimately these selfish mongs should come as no surprise to the airline.

they created a culture but their policies arent 'f***ing shit', they are just different. I am talking about BA and other carriers who allow people to cause massive cabin disruption as they are scared to piss them off in these turbulent (!) times.

as for the hillsborough analogy! if we are going to do one it should at least be "well leppings lane took that many people and thats what is was licenced for so what if people died..." that seems to be the theme for the hawks on this one.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Some people are just clueless. I was on a flight to Thailand last year and there was a couple of 30somethings with two kids in the seats adjacent to us. While we were waiting for the rest of the plane to board I think the mum was in the toilet with one kid and the other one was getting a bit restless and noisy so the dad started raising his voice to him and telling him off, this just upset the kid even more and a 20 minute vicous circle of upset child and angry dad began. It was utterly painful to watch. When the mum came back she calmly asked the kid what the problem was and then managed to get his attention onto something else, I think it was colouring in books, and by being calm and attentive she managed to get the kid sat down and he was quiet for the rest of the flight.

The conversation between my bird and I went from "what a tosser" and "no shit sherlock".

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
they created a culture but their policies arent 'f***ing shit', they are just different. I am talking about BA and other carriers who allow people to cause massive cabin disruption as they are scared to piss them off in these turbulent (!) times.

as for the hillsborough analogy! if we are going to do one it should at least be "well leppings lane took that many people and thats what is was licenced for so what if people died..." that seems to be the theme for the hawks on this one.
No, they really are absolutely "f***ing shit". Budget airlines will sell you a ticket and then charge an absolutely RIDICULOUS surcharge on what was previously considered perfectly reasonable suitcase weight. At that point, you don't really have much choice but to pay it, unless you fancy throwing half your clothes in the bin.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I am flying to New York in the morning, and if I'm near a screaming child I'm going to FLIP:angry:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
No, they really are absolutely "f***ing shit". Budget airlines will sell you a ticket and then charge an absolutely RIDICULOUS surcharge on what was previously considered perfectly reasonable suitcase weight. At that point, you don't really have much choice but to pay it, unless you fancy throwing half your clothes in the bin.

I dont follow this mate. why is the surcharge ridiculous? previously the model was flawed, or at least inefficient for the way budget carriers operate. its a business. that sells you mind bogglingly cheap air travel. something has to give to get to that point where they make money and your are incentivised to travel with them. where in the deal exactly are you being stitched up? in real terms fares have gone through the floor, any benefits that had to be thrown out to get to that point so its cheaper for you have been. it baffles me why people dont get this or feel like they have been tucked up on the deal.

you can have your luggage allowance for "free" if you dont fly budget. but BA are charging you for it too, everyones charging you. just differently.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

absolutely despise wankers like that, ive never felt the need to smack either of my kids , its just not my cup of tea, i wouldnt judge others who do, except wankers who , like this tosspot do it willy nilly, through laziness.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I dont follow this mate. why is the surcharge ridiculous? previously the model was flawed, or at least inefficient for the way budget carriers operate. its a business. that sells you mind bogglingly cheap air travel. something has to give to get to that point where they make money and your are incentivised to travel with them. where in the deal exactly are you being stitched up? in real terms fares have gone through the floor, any benefits that had to be thrown out to get to that point so its cheaper for you have been. it baffles me why people dont get this or feel like they have been tucked up on the deal.

you can have your luggage allowance for "free" if you dont fly budget. but BA are charging you for it too, everyones charging you. just differently.
I just think the model is snidey. I don't disagree with the premise that they need to make their money, but there is something unreasonable about the obsene surcharge for taking what most would consider to be a very ordinary amount of luggage. I'd have less of an issue with this if they provided lockers for people to store stuff they didn't want to take, but really once you are at the airport you are at their mercy. Equally, I don't mind the charges for different payment methods, food, choice of seat or whatever - it's not as if they are hidden charges and there are always alternatives. But luggage I take issue with, and it has created the problem being discussed on this thread.

absolutely despise wankers like that, ive never felt the need to smack either of my kids , its just not my cup of tea, i wouldnt judge others who do, except wankers who , like this tosspot do it willy nilly, through laziness.
Agreed on all counts. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here