Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Brighton’s defence tracking back against a Chelsea attack

slow race GIF

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
And nobody is going to hold him accountable for our managerial recriutment.
Give over. He’s unbeaten to this point, with a good draw at Arsenal and beating Manchester United. We are Brighton, we have a level. We can’t compete with Chelsea who have spent £1.1bn just because we spent £200m once.

Most of that was future investment for the squad.

We’ve been very tactically naive though and most of us saw this coming with our high line and their pace and quality. Coming out and doing the same thing defensively would be suicide.

If Palmer was playing for us we’d be ahead, he’s absolutely run the game and sometimes when an opposition player is that good you just have to applaud. We haven’t helped ourselves at all, mind you.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's a bit early to be writing off £200m but none of the new signings have really shown a huge amount yet, have they?
I’m not writing off any signings (one of them scored today) but our obsession with signing wingers and neglecting the centre of defence looks like a massive issue right now

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I'm sure some will defend it saying it's individual errors that are costing us, not the overall tactics. Unfortunately the tactics expose the defense like never before and minor mistakes gift one on one chances to the opposition. I love we are so attacking minded and look great going forward but maybe a bit of balancing between the two could be beneficial.
Agreed. The last thing you want to be doing with Dunk and Webster is having them turning and lung busting panicky recovery runs every 30 seconds. Then wanting then to Beckenbauer it as well. They are making plenty of silly mistakes too but we aren't losing simply on individual errors.

Big half time for him here. Can he make decisive changes or do we see panicked paralysis.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
See under 'de Zerbi-ball'.

Tend to agree. We're certainly not feeling the benefit of spending £200M quid just yet!
That’s because we’ve not really bought players to improve the first 11, maybe aside from the new Turkish full back. We’ve bought players who we think will replace the ones we currently have in 2-3 years…

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I really can't stand cantor, He never criticises anything or anyone when it is this bad.
I've listened to him for years and he's very rational. What folk can't seem to separate is their Albion bias from neutral commentary. I can remember matches where he has been lamenting the poor refereeing, but he does it whether it's benefiting Albion or the opposition. NSC, obviously, doesn't.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Websters been f***ing shit so far . . . . . . So has everyone else, but he has excelled in stinking the place out.
Balls.
Going forwards we look really good but the defence has been non existent.
Even v Forest it was clear that our defence was too slow
Desperately need new CBs in January.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
f*** me.

I'm not entirely sure what to say about that other than if either team was even within the same postcode as mildly competent defending it would be 0-0.

We've made it ridiculously easy for Chelsea even as they've tried to return the compliment. As if playing that high line with slow defenders isn't hard enough we're just making mistake after mistake. We can't keep defending like this, the entire back four is going to be shot of any confidence which is just going too lead to mistake after mistake game after game.

I'm not a fan yet of this chaotic Hurzeler style. I've got too used to us having control of games rather than this disorganised chaotic school boy football. Yet we look pretty good when we slow things down and play with a bit of structure.

Bloody hell. The most ridiculous half of football we've been involved in in the premier league.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Surely Hurzeler will change this at half time, it’s pretty stupid tactically. The media have been asking him all week about the high line and chelsea‘s quick forwards.
Anyway hopefully he’ll have a rethinkm because this really isn’t working.
I'm not sure he can change it at halftime...it needs another month of training!
Actually, in the pre match presser, I think Fab said we'd play a low block when appropriate in this game 😂 or did I dream that? 🤣

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
The over-reaction on here at a team that has a new young coach, a raft of new players, and is playing a Chelsea side that has finally got their shit together AND has Cole Palmer is bonkers.

I am frustrated and disappointed but people writing of Wieffer and FH's tactics 6 games into the season need to give their heads a wobble.
Have you been watching the game on a live stream ? Have you seen the defensive line ?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The over-reaction on here at a team that has a new young coach, a raft of new players, and is playing a Chelsea side that has finally got their shit together AND has Cole Palmer is bonkers.

I am frustrated and disappointed but people writing of Wieffer and FH's tactics 6 games into the season need to give their heads a wobble.
All of us will give him time but this was so predictable. He's meant to be an expert.
Nothing wrong in starting the game with a bit more pragmatism. It was always going to be like this if he played the high line. Everyone has said it, all week.
It's also been the worst defensive half I can remember.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here