Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelmsford awarded city status

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I already thought Chelmsford was a city to begin with anyway? Isn't there a team in the Blue Square South called Chelmsford CITY?

What the local football team is called means nothing at all, there is also a Guildford City FC (and a Guildford City Swimming Club) but they are based in the County Town of Surrey, which is... er... Guildford (really not a City, missed out to somewhere called "Brighton & Hove" in the 2000 competition).

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
The highlight was 5 Live accidently announcing Reading as a new City this morning, only to retract it a bit later.

I had visions of scenes reministent of when Paris missed out on the Olympics, with the Mayor and his population on the streets celebrating, only to have their hopes dashed - with a thin drizzle falling and the crowds melting away!

Even better was when BBC Radio Berkshire announced Reading had won it. They had people calling in to say how exited they were, with one woman in tears with happiness....

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
It was once a city and was one (all be it for only about a week) the capital of England around watt Tylors peasants revolt in 12th century.
I live in Southend not that far away and find Chelmsford quite pleasant

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
It's not the only football club with City in it's name when it shouldn't have - there's also Guildford City FC and Elgin City FC.

And Welwyn Garden City and Letchworth Garden City have never been cities either.

Or White City

What the local football team is called means nothing at all, there is also a Guildford City FC (and a Guildford City Swimming Club) but they are based in the County Town of Surrey, which is... er... Guildford (really not a City, missed out to somewhere called "Brighton & Hove" in the 2000 competition).
Don't be ridiculous! Are you now saying that Chichester can't be a city?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's already in perfect English. If you can't understand my point then the problem lies elsewhere.

Arrogant little man. So... you start a thread suggesting that Chelmsford has been awarded city status and then try to belittle me because of that post a little further down. Whether Chelmsford already was or not doesn't mean we are all as smug and clever as you. Oh and I bet you know every city in this country without fail.

As I said... arrogant little man.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Don't be ridiculous! Are you now saying that Chichester can't be a city?

Why am I being ridiculous? I haven't said anything about Chichester, I merely pointed out that what the local football team is called doesn't always relate to where they are, and gave the example of Guildford City playing in the town of Guildford (a borough of which I'm a resident btw). Another off-topic example would be Grimsby, who play in Cleethorpes.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why am I being ridiculous? I haven't said anything about Chichester, I merely pointed out that what the local football team is called doesn't always relate to where they are, and gave the example of Guildford City playing in the town of Guildford (a borough of which I'm a resident btw). Another off-topic example would be Grimsby, who play in Cleethorpes.

I think he's confused with his towns and city's, tried to belittle and has had an epic fail. Close the topic, save the arrogant idiots embarrassment.

Arrogant little man. So... you start a thread suggesting that Chelmsford has been awarded city status and then try to belittle me because of that post a little further down. Whether Chelmsford already was or not doesn't mean we are all as smug and clever as you. Oh and I bet you know every city in this country without fail.

As I said... arrogant little man.
Hypocritical little man.
Actually the belittling started when you suggested my English was unintelligable.
As I said... little hypocrite.

towns and city's
:lolol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hypocritical little man.
Actually the belittling started when you suggested my English was unintelligable.
As I said... little hypocrite.

Oh dear... a little deflection there, good effort. Your city's are most certainly unintelligible as are you, so I'd prefer to stay off your horrendously excruciating fail. Have a good day.

Oh dear, oh dear, this really does make you a bit of a halfwit now... doesn't it?
Err...no.
Chelmsford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chelmsford (
11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png
/ˈɛlmzfərd/) is a city, the county town of Essex, England

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003

yoda559

Feb 10, 2012
Newmarket
It's not the only football club with City in it's name when it shouldn't have - there's also Guildford City FC and Elgin City FC.

And Welwyn Garden City and Letchworth Garden City have never been cities either.

Or White City

Elgin IS actually a city. I used to live there for my sins!

Why am I being ridiculous? I haven't said anything about Chichester, I merely pointed out that what the local football team is called doesn't always relate to where they are, and gave the example of Guildford City playing in the town of Guildford (a borough of which I'm a resident btw).
You implied it here....
but they are based in the County Town of Surrey, which is... er... Guildford

Maybe you should add one for Guildford Cathedral, for the benefit of Curious Orange!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here