Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelmsford awarded city status

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
St Asaph had shedloads of government money thrown at it 10 to 15 years ago to develop the RAF aircraft repair and overhaul facility into a competitive commercial and military aerospace centre. Sod all else there and the facility is virtually empty due to the inability to win competitive business. Its near Cardiff so no reason whatsoever to go within 50 miles of the place.
St Asaph is nowhere near Cardiff to be fair, its in North Wales

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Delighted Perth has been awarded City status, which was removed by stupid local government bureaucracy in 1975.

odd how this happens, i recal the same happened to Rochester when it became part of Medway unitary authority and someone forgot to do some paperwork. they have a catherdal too, but now a lowly town.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Now Reading, Bournemouth ect ect miss out on city status Meridian tv news doing a is it all cracked up to be, ffs sour grapes

Sent from my gadget of handheld technology

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Probably City of London innit?

Edit: Just clicked through... but smallest land mass shirley?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wells

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
That's what I thought. Its near Rhyl.

It is indeed, just up the road from me. It's not very big at all but does have a cathedral which I guess swung it for them. It's claim to fame is that HM Stanley (of "Dr Livingstone I presume" fame) came from there. The parish council have erected a monument in his name that unfortunately looks like a large dildo and there is a petition to have it removed!

Also, more importantly, my optician is there.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Thought reading was red hot favourite to finally get city status:lolol:
The population of reading is actually around 145k and with the wokingham district its around 240k.

Most idiots round here actually think it is a city:lolol:they even have city centre on some buses and many other things:lolol:

Christ all that hardwork gone down the toilet.To be fair reading is becoming a good place to live and work,very prosperous and attracting many large companys to the town.

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I would say @Tricky Dicky it was leaked around 10/11am and officially announced at mid day.

It was announced at 9.30am by the Cabinet Office, and then officially at PMQ at 12 noon.

It was leaked to the Leader of the Council before 9am, and most of the staff were aware around 9am.

I now work for Chelmsford CITY Council, whereas yesterday I worked for Chelmsford Borough Council.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It was announced at 9.30am by the Cabinet Office, and then officially at PMQ at 12 noon.

It was leaked to the Leader of the Council before 9am, and most of the staff were aware around 9am.

I now work for Chelmsford CITY Council, whereas yesterday I worked for Chelmsford Borough Council.

Cheers! I knew it had been leaked, just not sure when.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Let's not argue whether Chelmsford has ever been a city previously, and concentrate on the more important fact that it, frankly, never should be.

If Colchester was competing, surely they'd have been more appropriate candidates, purely for its ancient status and history (Roman stuff).

Presumably St Asaph & Perth were chosen as they wanted one each from England, Wales & Scotland & there weren't many other suitable candidates left in the Celtic regions.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Let's not argue whether Chelmsford has ever been a city previously, and concentrate on the more important fact that it, frankly, never should be.

If Colchester was competing, surely they'd have been more appropriate candidates, purely for its ancient status and history (Roman stuff).

Presumably St Asaph & Perth were chosen as they wanted one each from England, Wales & Scotland & there weren't many other suitable candidates left in the Celtic regions.

Wrexham were on the list.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wrexham were on the list.

Yes. I stand by my point :)

I'm going to have to dig out the list of applicant towns, just for a laugh. Would be brilliant if Gillingham had applied :D

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Colchester were on the list

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here