Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelmsford awarded city status

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Why all the rush for city status, is it a race? Is being called a city better than being called a town? Just remember that Brighton isn't a city. They had to tack on Hove. Or did they make Hove into a city and tack on Brighton?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
You implied it here....

Curious Orange said:
but they are based in the County Town of Surrey, which is... er... Guildford

Nothing implied there, Guildford is the County Town of Surrey... and is also a Town, the underline is clearly an emphasis.

The point I originally made still stands, that the name of a football team doesn't necessarily accurately reflect where it plays, so I don't really see why you are pursuing it.

And I don't see why I'd need to have a link to Guildford Cathedral's website, I see it everyday, and have even been in it a couple of times... its a much more attractive building on the inside.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not to butt into this argument, but that was added today, by the looks of it.

Quite a few adds today TD...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Quite a few adds today TD...

As an IT pro I find that quite interesting. So, Chelmsford was a Wiki city from about 11:06 today.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What the local football team is called means nothing at all, there is also a Guildford City FC (and a Guildford City Swimming Club) but they are based in the County Town of Surrey, which is... er... Guildford (really not a City, missed out to somewhere called "Brighton & Hove" in the 2000 competition).

Originally cities were called a city because they had a Anglican cathedral, then in the last 150 years city status has been granted to 'towns' with a large population.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Going off-topic I'd like to publicly thank [MENTION=5502]Nottseagull[/MENTION] for keeping me thoroughly entertained this morning - this thread has cheered me up no-end on my first day back at work this week.

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm on my sick bed (nearly typed "death bed" there - oops) with the news on, so it's been "leaked" on all the rolling news channels all morning.

Makes two of us! Had man flu for 5 days now and feel like shit! Haven't watched the news but on a quick google I found the earliest report to be just after 10am in 'print'. Could be earlier ones, but that's the one I saw.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
:wink::wink:
Originally cities were called a city because they had a Anglican cathedral, then in the last 150 years city status has been granted to 'towns' with a large population.

Being a real pedant here, Cities in the UK predate Henry VIII, so originally it was having a cathedral - cities existed as cities before the Church of England did.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003

Yes, there is a common misconception that anywhere with either a Cathedral or a University is a City by default.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
And Welwyn Garden City and Letchworth Garden City have never been cities either.

The clue is there; they are 'garden' cities, and have been since their foundation in the 1930s.

St Asaph is now a city because Ian Rush was born there.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Makes two of us! Had man flu for 5 days now and feel like shit! Haven't watched the news but on a quick google I found the earliest report to be just after 10am in 'print'. Could be earlier ones, but that's the one I saw.

Good luck with the flu. I had an operation last Thurs, was supposed to be up and around the next day. I'm home but have had a tube inserted into my throbnozzle ever since. Got to put up with it til next Tues, so I'm going nowhere. Not something I would recommend on any level :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here