Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chapman quits The Albion...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sad news.

I guess this means that Dean Wilkins is going to move elsewhere. I think they are a loss to the club, but not the end of the world. There are plenty of coaches out there with a decent amount of experience and perhaps it would not hurt to have some men in on a clean slate with some new ideas.

Both Chapman and Wilkins would make my favourite Albion XI, so a sad day for BoF. :down:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I find it strange how people leap to the defence of Chapman, whilst White gets and almost constant bashing.
Unless you're involved with the club and watch the training on a regular basis how do you know who the better coach is and what benefits each man brings to the team.
Yes Chapman was a great player for the Albion, but his coaching CV is not up to the same standard as White who must be doing something right to have been here for the time that he has.
I was thinking something similar. I was opposed to Chapman's appointment as I thought it was little more than a PR stunt: "Good old Chappers, great player for us, didn't want to go to Palace, passionate, bleeds blue and white, etc etc", which overlooked the fact he was an underqualified, County League manager.

Good luck to him, but I don't think he's going to be missed. If he ends up on the coaching staff of someone like Liverpool then I'll admit I was wrong, but I do think it's more likely he'll end up at somewhere like Littlehampton. We should be better for this.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I was thinking something similar. I was opposed to Chapman's appointment as I thought it was little more than a PR stunt: "Good old Chappers, great player for us, didn't want to go to Palace, passionate, bleeds blue and white, etc etc", which overlooked the fact he was an underqualified, County League manager.

Good luck to him, but I don't think he's going to be missed. If he ends up on the coaching staff of someone like Liverpool then I'll admit I was wrong, but I do think it's more likely he'll end up at somewhere like Littlehampton. We should be better for this.

Clarity amongst the fog.. :thumbsup:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The last time I saw Chapman was in Club Barcelona after REMF1 when Stumpy Tim gave him his autograph.

I notice that there is a new story and new headline on the Argus website with a typical Naylor anti Knight slant but not backed up by a fact or quote to justify the "quits in protest" headline, and NO QUOTE FROM THE SUBJECT>:yawn::rant:

This really is SHIT JOURNALISM

Chapman quits Albion in protest
By Andy Naylor
Comment | Read Comments (24)
Ian Chapman has quit Albion in protest at the removal of Dean Wilkins as manager.

The Seagulls stalwart has decided his position in the backroom team is untenable after the club reappointed Micky Adams in place of Wilkins 12 days ago.

Adams tried to persuade the 37-year-old former long-serving left-back to stay. He said: "I spoke to Ian and told him to think long and hard about it but he had made his mind up.

advertisement
"Obviously, with Dean not being manager any more he felt a little bit uncomfortable about it all and you have to expect that.

"He has certainly got no axe to grind with me. We are sorry to see him go and we thank him for his services."

Chapman had been both first team coach and reserve team boss since leaving Whitehawk as manager last summer.

He was part-time in the combined role last season but became full-time this season after giving up his job at the County League club.

Wilkins has yet to decide whether to accept the position of senior first team coach but the rest of the backroom staff have told Adams they are happy to remain in their posts.

Adams met with chief scout Barry Lloyd yesterday as he begins the task of assembling a squad capable of mounting a promotion challenge in League One.

Adams believes his recruitment drive has been aided by the five months he spent scouting for Stoke after relinquishing his role as assistant manager of Colchester in January.

He said: "My remit for Stoke was team scouting reports but also individual stuff as well.

"That took me all around the country, so I have got good knowledge of what is out there.

"Although you are working for somebody else, you always keep an eye out for players at the sort of level you might come back at.

"It worked out well for both of us. In the last six weeks I have been doing foreign stuff as well for Tony (Pulis). I have been to St Etienne, Monaco and Denmark.

"It's a global market now. I know Barry has been out and seen a lot of foreign players. We may or may not go down that avenue but at least we have a knowledge of it."

Meanwhile, the squad freshening process has been launched at the inexperienced end of the scale with the award of one-year professional contracts to striker Kane Louis, midfielders Dan Royce and Kane Wills and defender Andy Pearson.

The four other second-year scholars, Zac Beda, Lee Bryant, Matt Foreman and Ruben French, have all been released.

Shane McFaul, one of the players released by Albion at the end of the season, has re-signed for University College Dublin.

6:30am today

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Wasn't Dean White brought to the club by Adams first time round? I think to look after the reserves?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that this makes Wilkins departure more likely.

I expect Wilkins will feel his managerial carerr so far has been reasonably successful. As managers get paid a lot more than coaches he'll probably be looking for a job as manager and will want to bring his own men with him.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Wilkins was announced manager of some lower League 1 / Upper League 2 outfit with Chapman as his No. 2 before the month is out.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I'm with those who think this means Wilkins is more likely to go, rather than less.

I can't believe that Chapman would have made this decision without talking to Wilkins first, and if Wilkins is staying, it doesn't make sense for Chapman to then want to leave.

The idea that it makes things easier as there's no room for both of them, would suggest that IC is taking one for the team to allow DW to stay, and I just don't see that happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here