Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chapman quits The Albion...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Personally, I wasn't a massive fan of Chapman as a coach, although obviously I don't know the ins and outs of his involvement it just seemed like a "job for the boys" when someone seemingly under-qualified gets hired by his former club who are managed by a former team mate.

BUT, what concerns me most is that if Naylors quoteless piece is accurate, then I think we can assume there is not going to be some developing story as to why we have moved Wilkins on, which will make us all think "oh fair enough then." Nope, this does rather confirm the view that our board have well and truly shafted Deano. I was still hoping that there would be a more palatable explanation on its way. Seemingly not.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
I hope they don't bring in Booker again, there seems to be alot of backward steps going on at the moment

What backward steps? We've replaced our manager (as football clubs do on a fairly regular basis) and a coach that people agree is a good bloke etc has resigned. Hold on, Brovion says it better:

I was opposed to Chapman's appointment as I thought it was little more than a PR stunt: "Good old Chappers, great player for us, didn't want to go to Palace, passionate, bleeds blue and white, etc etc", which overlooked the fact he was an underqualified, County League manager.

Good luck to him, but I don't think he's going to be missed. If he ends up on the coaching staff of someone like Liverpool then I'll admit I was wrong, but I do think it's more likely he'll end up at somewhere like Littlehampton. We should be better for this.

And we should be better THAN this too. Let's have in a qualified, experienced coach who can support MA and bring something to the party.

It feels to me like we are getting serious about being a professional football club, with ambitions and some sense of how to achieve them. Christ, we may even have a plan on the pitch to go with the one off the pitch.

I think we'll get promoted this year.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Personally, I wasn't a massive fan of Chapman as a coach, although obviously I don't know the ins and outs of his involvement it just seemed like a "job for the boys" when someone seemingly under-qualified gets hired by his former club who are managed by a former team mate.

BUT, what concerns me most is that if Naylors quoteless piece is accurate, then I think we can assume there is not going to be some developing story as to why we have moved Wilkins on, which will make us all think "oh fair enough then." Nope, this does rather confirm the view that our board have well and truly shafted Deano. I was still hoping that there would be a more palatable explanation on its way. Seemingly not.

What would have been a palatable explanation? What would have been an unpalatable one?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What would have been a palatable explanation? What would have been an unpalatable one?

A palatable explanation would be:
Something perhaps instigated by Wilkins a little bit.
"Wilkins felt that the pressure of the managers job was proving too much for him, and had looked to get a more experienced assistant in, but as we discussed the matter together it was felt that perhaps he would be better off returning to the coaching role that he has excellent in for many years."

Unpalatable:
Pretty much what we are left to think at the moment.
"7th? Nah, rubbish, we want better than that, so we've shoved him out. Who wants stability and gradually building an improving side? Nope not for us, it's a rollercoast here at Brighton innit. Just needed him to do the shitty job of telling players they aren't wanted, then Adams is in, and that may see a few more ticket sales as well. Thanks Dean, but er, there's the door mate!"

I was still hoping there may be some explanation that showed us with a little more class. Seemingly not, and I think that's a shame.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
A palatable explanation would be:
Something perhaps instigated by Wilkins a little bit.
"Wilkins felt that the pressure of the managers job was proving too much for him, and had looked to get a more experienced assistant in, but as we discussed the matter together it was felt that perhaps he would be better off returning to the coaching role that he has excellent in for many years."

Unpalatable:
Pretty much what we are left to think at the moment.
"7th? Nah, rubbish, we want better than that, so we've shoved him out. Who wants stability and gradually building an improving side? Nope not for us, it's a rollercoast here at Brighton innit. Just needed him to do the shitty job of telling players they aren't wanted, then Adams is in, and that may see a few more ticket sales as well. Thanks Dean, but er, there's the door mate!"

I was still hoping there may be some explanation that showed us with a little more class. Seemingly not, and I think that's a shame.

But both of those are your guesses, because the board have said neither. You might well be right with one of them, but we don't know. (Although I have to say that your second 'explanation' makes no sense to me.

They have made a decision that they believe is right for the club, the company and the business - they don't make crucial, and potentially expensive, decisions like that for fun. It would be nice to know all the details but we don't have a right to know. If the board wish it to be a confidential matter between them and an employee, that's their right.

Whatever the reasons, only time will tell if they were the right ones..and even then, whatever MA does, we'll never know if DW would have done better or worse.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
I find it strange how people leap to the defence of Chapman, whilst White gets and almost constant bashing.
Unless you're involved with the club and watch the training on a regular basis how do you know who the better coach is and what benefits each man brings to the team.
Yes Chapman was a great player for the Albion, but his coaching CV is not up to the same standard as White who must be doing something right to have been here for the time that he has.

just for the record ians coaching is better than whites

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
What concerns me with all of this - is all the comings and goings over christmas and the new year and now this with dean and ian is that the fans continue to defend dick knight - yes he saved the club but can it be everyone else that is wrong - very very difficult to believe?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But both of those are your guesses, because the board have said neither. You might well be right with one of them, but we don't know. (Although I have to say that your second 'explanation' makes no sense to me.

They have made a decision that they believe is right for the club, the company and the business - they don't make crucial, and potentially expensive, decisions like that for fun. It would be nice to know all the details but we don't have a right to know. If the board wish it to be a confidential matter between them and an employee, that's their right.

Whatever the reasons, only time will tell if they were the right ones..and even then, whatever MA does, we'll never know if DW would have done better or worse.

Erm you asked for examples of palatable and unpalatable, I've never said that either of those are true or anywhere near it.

My "unpalatable" one is roughly how it seems to me, and your right, it makes no sense at all .... which is kind of why it's unpalatable.

And nowhere have I suggested we have a right yo know, of course we don't, and without the facts we form our own opinion, and mine at the moment is that the board have unfairly shafted Dean. My point is that Chapmans supposed "protest" resignation would suggest that Dean was indeed treated badly - at least in Chappers view, and he has more access to the facts than any of us.

Your last point is absolutely true, which is what is going to be so hard for Adams. none of us could say what would or wouldn't have happened under Wilkins this season. What guarantees a justification of this change? Automatic promotion? Even that would see someone suggest we could have achieved that this coming season under Wilkins. It's a toughie for MA.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What concerns me with all of this - is all the comings and goings over christmas and the new year and now this with dean and ian is that the fans continue to defend dick knight - yes he saved the club but can it be everyone else that is wrong - very very difficult to believe?

Yes but you know the truth.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

The problem you have is that your anti-DK rants are extreme, hostile and belligerent IN ADDITION to being backed by no evidence whatsoever to substantiate them.

For all I know, you might be right in everything you say but the lack of evidence plus your attitude make me not want to believe you.

The fact that DK saved the club is good enough reason for me to believe that what he does is in the best interests of the club unless and until someone comes up with credible facts to make me change my mind.

Why would I want to start hating him for the fun of it?

To be fair, she may well mean back as a player in 1996, which is why he didn't get his testimonial.

You could be right but f***ed if I can be bothered going back to read all of her posts to confirm if that's what the bringer of 'The Truth' meant. I think I prefer Deductions' ramblings-at least there was some variety in them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here