Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chance of Snow next week

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Looking cold enough on the latest GFS run

Rtavn1022.png

But looks like the snow will fall to the north east of the country. But it will change with every run just hope for some lake-effect snow

Rtavn1024.png

MS_051_ens.png

Whats with the German maps there nadger...our British ones are better! theres more SNOW on ours.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No its will be -10 to -12 at 850Hpa which is about 1500 meters up. It is roughly 10c warmer on the ground so day time temps of around freezing

Although the upper temperatures are less important in an easterly flow than, say a northerly (down here) as we tend to get a colder feed at lower levels from the East.

Suffice to say that the 06Z GFS has had model watchers very twitchy this morning with its apparent backing away from snow in the south ... however, the UKMO is still onside for snow... as is to a lesser extent the ECM.

The TV forecast are still going for snow from sunday down here, so the more details Met Office data (we don't see) clearly is still going for snow.

Nadger... are you, by any chance a member of any of the weather forums?

Papa

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To answer US about no mention of Sussex... the full Weather advisory mentions East sussex

London & South East England:

E Sussex
Kent
Medway

Heavy Snow Mon 2 Feb
There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting eastern parts of Britain during Monday. Colder weather with snow showers, heavy at times, is likely to give some accumulations in places, with the highest amounts most likely over the higher ground further north.

Issued at: 1018 Thu 29 Jan

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Thats will be the storm that just passed us over here - dropped about 4 inches of snow in my area (Brooklyn)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
To answer US about no mention of Sussex... the full Weather advisory mentions East sussex

London & South East England:

E Sussex
Kent
Medway

Heavy Snow Mon 2 Feb
There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting eastern parts of Britain during Monday. Colder weather with snow showers, heavy at times, is likely to give some accumulations in places, with the highest amounts most likely over the higher ground further north.

Issued at: 1018 Thu 29 Jan

This proves my point even more. Brighton is just in East Sussex and Southwick is in West Sussex, the snow predicted for East Sussex with be the Hastings area and not Brighton, it will not get past Hastings, also they say in North and higher ground which again both do not apply to Brighton so this event you are ramping up will be yet another non event for Brightonians.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This proves my point even more. Brighton is just in East Sussex and Southwick is in West Sussex, the snow predicted for East Sussex with be the Hastings area and not Brighton, it will not get past Hastings, also they say in North and higher ground which again both do not apply to Brighton so this event you are ramping up will be yet another non event for Brightonians.

I don't think you understand the basis upon which these are issued... these are advanced warnings of disruption due to weather... they aren't a weather forecast. The current forecasts have snow across all of sussex from Sunday evening through to early Tuesday.

However, going right back to the start of this discussion.. I do take youir point US... down here we're very much used to forecasts of snow fizzling out to nothing, so I think we need to wait and see.

Papa

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
There will be three flakes in Hastings at 03.09:46 on Monday morning, and that is it.

Delivered to you by the Wanderer Long Range Weather Forecasting Service
You have not been charged for this report

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
No snow fun for me, Essex is as flat as a pancake so skis will stay in the loft!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'll join you on my ski's, Devils Dyke would be quality......but a bitch of a walk back up !!!

There's a really good hill just at the East end of Devil's Dyke... the road passes right past it.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
higher ground which again both do not apply to Brighton

I remember last January when we got a day of snow as I had to travel up to London by train on a course, went into the tunnel on the Cliftonville spur with the ground just wet and came out the other side with a layer covering both ground and rooftops which continued all the way to London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here