Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Championship Playoffs

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm surprised, mostly because they've been absolute rubbish, but I think I'm team Swansea. There's something quite annoying about Brentford. Toney has a touch of the Zaha about him, the players are milking every tackle writhing around on the floor in 'agony' and they seem to enjoy screaming at the ref/linos/swansea players.

He may look like him but he's a very different sort of player (and person). A real leader apparently (rather than a sulker).

Enjoying this....

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Because if they're not promoted they are in financial trouble?

Yes and their best player and main reason (Andre Ayew) they are even anywhere near playoff is leaving this summer and they are going to have to sell everything else that they could possibly get some money for.

Next season they will be in the bottom 5 of the Championship turnover wise.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
One less relegation place to worry about next season.
Toney.? Jury still out on this showing. But who knows with a steady supply.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm surprised, mostly because they've been absolute rubbish, but I think I'm team Swansea. There's something quite annoying about Brentford. Toney has a touch of the Zaha about him, the players are milking every tackle writhing around on the floor in 'agony' and they seem to enjoy screaming at the ref/linos/swansea players.

Indeed they are annoying. The manager is a ****. The team is filled with Danes.

And the worst of all is that they have plenty of similarities to Brighton in terms of strategy and how the club is run.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He may look like him but he's a very different sort of player (and person). A real leader apparently (rather than a sulker).

Enjoying this....

Maybe. I've only seen him in this game and the second leg against Bournemouth. Both games he's carried himself with the same arrogance that Zaha does, berating officials and looking stunned that anyone should try to tackle him. But, like I said that's based off a game and a half so I'm willing to accept I might be extrapolating from one or two instances and completely misjudging him.

And the worst of all is that they have plenty of similarities to Brighton in terms of strategy and how the club is run.

Don't worry, I have every confidence that we'll take them to school when we play them.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Their owner Matthew Benham is a former business partner of Tony Bloom. The two are no longer close (in fact Bloom went in the away end rather than the directors box the last time we played Brentford) but they seem to share a similar ethos.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

unlucky mate....

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Swansea certainly don't mind leaving a foot/elbow in a challenge

Edit: One of theirs has just seen red

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
That red is so unlucky. Looked like the Brentford player just coincidentally put his foot exactly where the Swansea player was about too.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I didn't think it was a red! He trod on his heel but the fouled player pulled him forward as he recoiled in agony....made it look worse

The fact he took the challenge with him shows how hard he was standing on him. Horrible challenge and looked really painful.

Don’t think he meant to do it, but still a red, I’m afraid.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
That was not a red card. Another referee making decisions on outcomes rather than intent. You can argue that intent doesn't matter if your challenge is reckless and endangers an opponent, but there is nothing reckless about running. It was an accidental coming together. It's stupid that refs never see this and even stupider that if var is used at Wembley and in the league that this game qualifies the winners for, that it wasn't' available for another idiot ref to refuse to overturn a clear error.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
I'm watching Brentford and thinking.......how nice it would be if we could have a shirt with stripes front and back.

If that strip were to be made in blue and white stripes, I'd buy it in a heart beat. #nomorebackofshirtpanels.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
That was not a red card. Another referee making decisions on outcomes rather than intent. You can argue that intent doesn't matter if your challenge is reckless and endangers an opponent, but there is nothing reckless about running. It was an accidental coming together. It's stupid that refs never see this and even stupider that if var is used at Wembley and in the league that this game qualifies the winners for, that it wasn't' available for another idiot ref to refuse to overturn a clear error.

That’s how I saw it too. And the ‘outcomes vs intent’ is exactly right. You shouldn’t get a red for running in a straight line.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Intent means **** all, if you endanger an opponent you should be sent off.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Intent means **** all, if you endanger an opponent you should be sent off.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

How was he endangering an opponent? He did nothing more than run in a straight line! Another one judging the outcome. It’s like Dale Stephens all over again. In fact you are Mike Dean, and I claim my £5

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
On this evidence, I am firmly in camp "Cooper to Palace". Would absolutely hilarious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here