Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Championship Playoffs

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’m guessing it’s partly based on them not having their own rivals, so trying to get another.

Sorry, we’re taken.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I couldn’t care less either way about Bournemouth. Didn’t really think we had much of a “thing” with them, more a Sky Sports creation?
Resentment on both sides goes back to the 70s, it's nothing to do with Sky Sports. We all know it's not really a derby, we're 100 miles apart. At the height of our spat with them in a promotion race back then, they even named one end of their shoebox "the Brighton beach end" because it was crap and crumbling. The irony of course is that their entire shoebox is utter shit, while we play at a magnificent 30,000+ stadium

We've had a few of these spats with other clubs down the years: Luton, Reading and Orient at different points in our history.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
These poor deprived little teams having to put up with linespeople making actual decisions :whistle:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sunderland condemned to a 4th season in League 1.

Fair play to Bridcutt, who goes back to his former club and helps Lincoln to a Wembley final. I'm feeling well disposed towards him in my old age.

Makes it more interesting in L1 season, virtually all the European greats there.

A shame that Hillsborough and The Stadium of Shite don't both hold 100,000, they'd fill them with ease for their meetings.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Judging by what I've seen so far, if either of these two teams come up, despite being guaranteed 6 points, they'll struggle to get the 7th.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Judging by what I've seen so far, if either of these two teams come up, despite being guaranteed 6 points, they'll struggle to get the 7th.

Barnsley aren't so much a poor man's Burnley as a homeless guy's Burnley.

Cracking goal by Grimes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barnsley aren't so much a poor man's Burnley as a homeless guy's Burnley.

Cracking goal by Grimes.

Yep I reckon he's only got one more of those left in him. :lol:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Oh dear what a shame for Bournemouth. Maybe they should have spent some of that premier league money on some modicum of stadium improvement after all. Have they got any decent players we can snap up when the inevitable fire sale happens?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
what strikes me as odd, isn't that the first thing Brighton did in the close season after that first championship campaign on getting into the Amex was to improve it with the east upper, and then in every season since is in someway improve the ground and the training facilities. On reaching the Premier league again the ground was improved each and every year. If you look at pictures from Tuesday and compare to pictures from the first match there, the stadium has been transformed. This just seems a sensible way to conduct business

What I find odd is that we seem to be the ONLY club to do it. Palace and Bournemouth spunked the riches on players which as we all know just leads to having to spend more and more just to stand still, and one bad season and you are royally ****ed. Fulham are redeveloping but are very much a yo yo club as they spend fortunes on loans and players

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
what strikes me as odd, isn't that the first thing Brighton did in the close season after that first championship campaign on getting into the Amex was to improve it with the east upper, and then in every season since is in someway improve the ground and the training facilities. On reaching the Premier league again the ground was improved each and every year. If you look at pictures from Tuesday and compare to pictures from the first match there, the stadium has been transformed. This just seems a sensible way to conduct business

What I find odd is that we seem to be the ONLY club to do it. Palace and Bournemouth spunked the riches on players which as we all know just leads to having to spend more and more just to stand still, and one bad season and you are royally ****ed. Fulham are redeveloping but are very much a yo yo club as they spend fortunes on loans and players

With the best will in the world it's tough to describe losing £30m a season as a sensible way to conduct business.

It's the right decision now, but all the time the clubs stay in the EPL is precarious, that money is on a knife edge.

palace chose to give all their stadium money to Mr Tumble.
He in turn has repayed them by generating £xxxm's, which he has then repeatedly put his hand out for a bigger slice of the action.
Despite all our crying and bitching - it's worked.

One Sami season and Mr Bloom is staring down the barrel of his £250m white elephant, much like Reading are now.

For all Bournemouth's woes (oh dear never mind) at least the upkeep of a state of the art facility isn't one of them.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Great striker from Woodrow. Game on!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Good post.

The club have done an incredible job building us up every step of the way both in terms of personnel and infrastructure. Tony I think is a man ahead of the curve in many ways, and took a strategic mid to long term view on making us a club that walks a sustainable path whilst trying to beat other clubs long term (the 5% extra, as described by GP in his recent comments).

I suspect our progression and achievements have not gone unnoticed and other similar level clubs may start to follow in time.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Dissapointed Barnsley didn't get there but hope Brentford win the final as they deserve it and would be nice to see new blood in the Prem.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Pre the ad hoc effect of the pandemic:

Albion, before a paper adjustment for depreciation on 'infrastructure' lost £16m in 2018/19. £103m spent on wages per annum, cumulatively £191m spent on a state-of-the-art stadium and academy/training complex.

TB and TB with a clear strategy.

Plucky's equivalent loss was £31.5m. £111m spent on wages per annum, cumulatively just £19m spent on the ground and training facility.

Maxim Demin via a tax-haven, opting for short-termism based solely on buying success on the pitch in the EPL.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Anyone else think that the yellow seats are distracting and make it hard to tell how many people are there in the crowd?

I was there today representing my company (which meant standing around and making sure the beer poured ok) I managed to see about 90% of the game and I agree looking across the ground it was hard to make out people from the mix of coloured seats. Good day out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here