Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chaigneau in goal tomorrow

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Silent Bob said:
As big a fan as I am of Kuipers, I agree.

I also think it makes sense to let him go now. :(

Possibly, I think Kuipers is the highest payed player at the club. So possibly looking to replace him.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Turkey said:
Perhaps, if he's really good, we may be able to sign him in the summer?
Also Sullivan and Martin look great prospects.

Sell Kuipers now, use the wages for someone of more use and we'd probably get some sort of fee too.

I'm sad to say it but I think that is the best way.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I think the bottom line is Mark McGhee is going to sign Wayne Henderson, and needed to know if Flo is good enough to play number two to him this year. I except to see Flo keep goal tomorrow, Henderson sign early next week, and then Kuipers to be sold off this month.

McGhee knows Kuipers won't want to play second fiddle to anyone, so he just need to be sure Flo's up to it. If he thinks he is, bye bye Kuipers.

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
I can't help that think that Kuipers is to be sold, Chaigneau has an option for us to purchase at end of the season I recall, and he and Henderson, would be enough, and probably cheaper? Also we could probably get a fee for Michel?

Turkey said:
Nowt. I just think its fair to give him a go. Coppell wouldn't play Virgo and look what happend to him. Henderson has also dropped a number of shots and it looks like we're about to sign him.

True, Henderson could not catch a ball cleanly in the first-half against Derby in the first game of the season, everyone thought we had a nightmare on our hands then. Big Al was similar in his comeback game. Keepers need a bit of time.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
parks said:
I can't help that think that Kuipers is to be sold, Chaigneau has an option for us to purchase at end of the season I recall, and he and Henderson, would be enough, and probably cheaper? Also we could probably get a fee for Michel?

If you sell Kuipers it means you can keep both Martin and Sullivan. If you keep Kuipers you can probably only keep one, but whichever one we let go is bound to be the one that becomes good.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I'd imagine he wants a closer look at the Frenchie before deciding on Kuipers fate. Henderson would be number 1 and with two VERY promising young keepers already on pro contracts I can't see Kuipers staying. Shame to see him go as he is a great goalie to watch and has won us many points over the years, however Henderson is a much better keeper now and a potential full international and top flight keeper.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Turkey said:
Nowt. I just think its fair to give him a go. Coppell wouldn't play Virgo and look what happend to him. Henderson has also dropped a number of shots and it looks like we're about to sign him.
In our present situation, I'd rather stick with the tried & trusted then "giving someone a go" though. Kuipers is also a great communicator with the defence, he's very vocal and helps organise things in front of him. I didn't see any of that from Chaigneau, as (a) he probably doesn't speaka da lingo and (b) hasn't yet got the confidence to do so with his new team mates.

Dsitrubution is often what is levelled at Kuipers. But as long as he's not doing anything ridiculously bad with his kicking.throwing, I think this is very much a secondary priority with how he is at crosses, shots and communicating with his defence. I say again, I just dunno what Kuipers has done wrong since coming back - it was a welcome relief to see him back between the sticks. Frenchie is still a bit of an unknown quantity.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If Chaigneau is good enough to do a job in an emergency and we land Henderson, there is absolutely no point in keeping Kuipers if we could attract a fee for him.

What's the point of having a keeper of his standard in the reserves?

It's surely the most obvious way to free up some funds which could be better spent elsewhere in the side.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It seems very likely that Kuipers is off when you cosider everything. A shame but probably a sensible decision. Back to Boston?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Easy 10 said:
In our present situation, I'd rather stick with the tried & trusted then "giving someone a go" though. Kuipers is also a great communicator with the defence, he's very vocal and helps organise things in front of him. I didn't see any of that from Chaigneau, as (a) he probably doesn't speaka da lingo and (b) hasn't yet got the confidence to do so with his new team mates.

Dsitrubution is often what is levelled at Kuipers. But as long as he's not doing anything ridiculously bad with his kicking.throwing, I think this is very much a secondary priority with how he is at crosses, shots and communicating with his defence. I say again, I just dunno what Kuipers has done wrong since coming back - it was a welcome relief to see him back between the sticks. Frenchie is still a bit of an unknown quantity.

What he said! :clap:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Easy 10 said:

Good argument. I think McGhee would rather Henderson than Kuipers though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
WHY are people happily discussing getting shot of Kuipers ?
Sure he's probably on a decent wage now, having been here for a number of years. But he's a TRIED and TRUSTED keeper who has served us EXTREMELY well in the past. He's had some long term injuries to contend with, but I've not seen anything so far to suggest he's not back to his best now, so why get rid ?

Henderson and Kuipers would be an excellent pair of keepers to have at the club. The alternative is having one good keeper, backed up by a kid or someone on loan. And look where THAT got us.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Easy 10 said:
WHY are people happily discussing getting shot of Kuipers ?
Sure he's probably on a decent wage now, having been here for a number of years. But he's a TRIED and TRUSTED keeper who has served us EXTREMELY well in the past. He's had some long term injuries to contend with, but I've not seen anything so far to suggest he's not back to his best now, so why get rid ?

Henderson and Kuipers would be an excellent pair of keepers to have at the club. The alternative is having one good keeper, backed up by a kid or someone on loan. And look where THAT got us.

I'd like to see Kuipers in goal. Really rate him. I prefer him to Henderson. I think with a possible fee and saved wages though it may help us get the striker we really need?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
Anyone who was at the Saints game will know Flo did enough to deserve another chance, some his saves in the second half were superb.

His kicking also puts him ahead of FDM.

Neatly avoiding the fact that His handling was school-boy level... would have given zero confidence to his defenders by managing to drop not one but two poor shots... the FDM is a far better keeper, IMHO... this would be a very, very poor decision by MM if true...

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Why has it taken so long for McGhee to giv Chaigneau a try?

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
Easy 10 said:

Distribution is as important not 2nd priority. Good teams play the ball out of defence and keep possession. Kuipers mostly hoofs the ball upfield and with midgets up front it just comes straight back and we can't relieve the pressure. Shaggy made quite a few quick, accurate throwouts against Saints as well as accurate very long kicks. And against Millwall Kippers went walkabout trying to take on the forward.

:wave:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Turkey said:
I'd like to see Kuipers in goal. Really rate him. I prefer him to Henderson. I think with a possible fee and saved wages though it may help us get the striker we really need?
Naah, I can't go along with that. It makes no sense to weaken in one area so you can strengthen in another. We KNOW Kuipers is a damn good keeper. We don't really know (yet) whether Chaigneau or Henderson can cut it. Sacrificing a good keeper on the offchance of bringing in a striker who can get the goals would be foolish.

Yoda

English & European
I did a bit of researching on Flo last night. Ok, he was number two at Rennes behind Petr Cech the other year, but last season he was dropped to THIRD choice behind that Swedish guy and the #3 from the previous season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here