Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chaigneau in goal tomorrow

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sort of goes along with what I and a few others said in the summer.

Mcghee doesnt seem to rathe Kuipers, everytime he has had the choice of two he tended to not go with Kuipers

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ccider said:
Distribution is as important not 2nd priority. Good teams play the ball out of defence and keep possession. Kuipers mostly hoofs the ball upfield and with midgets up front it just comes straight back and we can't relieve the pressure. Shaggy made quite a few quick, accurate throwouts against Saints as well as accurate very long kicks. And against Millwall Kippers went walkabout trying to take on the forward.

:wave:
I disagree completely.
Any old keeper can bowl the ball out to a fullback or centreback to play it along the floor or hoof it up the park, if needs be. And most goalkicks turn into a midfield lottery as to who wins the ball - we can't be looking towards our GOALKEEPER to be instigating attacks. And if a goal does somehow result almost directly from a kick by the keeper, its more often down to a complete f***-up by the opposing defence than anything the goalie has done.

What would you rather - a keeper who can land a goal kick on a sixpence 30 yards from the opposing goal ? Or a keeper who commands his area, can claim the crosses, is a good shotstopper, has good handling, and communicates with his defence ?

Its a no-brainer.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This is ridiculous... the FDM was one of the main reasons we are where we are... this French guy has played twice, and looked dodgy both times... and we play him in a VITAL cup game... just stupidity...

Oh, and too many on here assuming the Henderson deal is done, when it clearly isn't (I very much hope he signs BTW)...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
B.W. said:
This is ridiculous... the FDM was one of the main reasons we are where we are... this French guy has played twice, and looked dodgy both times... and we play him in a VITAL cup game... just stupidity...

Oh, and too many on here assuming the Henderson deal is done, when it clearly isn't (I very much hope he signs BTW)...

Yesterday one of the other main reasons left, things change.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
My problem with all this is this-

By playing Flo he is basically giving the number one shirt to the guy in possesion. Fair enough, if you play well you stay in.

BUT

He dropped Michel for NO reason for the saints game. A player who has been out for ages and deserves his chance and made at least one typically outterworldly save in his comeback game.

So, what message does this give out to players and supporters?

That MM has his favourites? That he just picks who will play from a hat? That michel's albion career is over?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Ccider said:
Distribution is as important not 2nd priority.

I have to disagree.

What would you prefer in this (htpothetical) situation?

1) A keeper that flaps at crosses, doesn't command his box, doesn't talk to his defence is a weak shotstopper but has tremendous distribution skills...or

2) A keeper that can deal well with crosses, commands his box, talks to his defence, is a decent shotstopper but has horrendous distribution skills?

I'm not saying that this is the situation between Chaigneau and the FDM, just disputing the claim that distribution is as important as being able to do the 'bread and butter' of goalkeeping.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Easy 10 said:
I disagree completely.
Any old keeper can bowl the ball out to a fullback or centreback to play it along the floor or hoof it up the park, if needs be. And most goalkicks turn into a midfield lottery as to who wins the ball - we can't be looking towards our GOALKEEPER to be instigating attacks. And if a goal does somehow result almost directly from a kick by the keeper, its more often down to a complete f***-up by the opposing defence than anything the goalie has done.

What would you rather - a keeper who can land a goal kick on a sixpence 30 yards from the opposing goal ? Or a keeper who commands his area, can claim the crosses, is a good shotstopper, has good handling, and communicates with his defence ?

Its a no-brainer.

Ooh, you got there before me...:angry: :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
garry nelsons left foot said:
Ooh, you got there before me...:angry: :)
But at least we can be comfortable in the knowledge that we both have a FABULOUS brain.
(just let me know when its my turn to have it again).

:)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
I disagree completely.

Its a no-brainer.

But if he is being off loaded as they see it as an opportunity to get a player off the wage bill that is a highish earner and has a chequered injury history, none of the above reasons might count.

It might just be that the club are going to use Henderson as number 1 and be able to retain both Martin and Sullivan. I am not sure you can have more than 3 professional keepers on the books.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
But if he is being off loaded as they see it as an opportunity to get a player off the wage bill that is a highish earner and has a chequered injury history, none of the above reasons might count.

It might just be that the club are going to use Henderson as number 1 and be able to retain both Martin and Sullivan. I am not sure you can have more than 3 professional keepers on the books.
I think it'd be unwise to offload the FDM because of his wages, if that turns out to be the plan. A good keeper is worth his weight in gold to the team - he can be just as important as a striker in terms of earning points for the side. Henderson looks competent enough, and will be a good addition to the squad. But if Kuipers goes, then an injury to him and we're once again looking at playing a kid in goal at Championship level, or getting someone on loan. It leaves us exposed in the most vital position on the pitch.

Kuipers MUST stay, and scrap it out with Henderson for the Number 1 shirt. We cannot afford to be light in the goalie dept.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
I think it'd be unwise to offload the FDM because of his wages, if that turns out to be the plan. A good keeper is worth his weight in gold to the team - he can be just as important as a striker in terms of earning points for the side. Henderson looks competent enough, and will be a good addition to the squad. But if Kuipers goes, then an injury to him and we're once again looking at playing a kid in goal at Championship level, or getting someone on loan. It leaves us exposed in the most vital position on the pitch.

Kuipers MUST stay, and scrap it out with Henderson for the Number 1 shirt. We cannot afford to be light in the goalie dept.

But if he is bench warming, he is an expensive bench warmer.

What worries me is he we let one of Martin or Sullivan go in the summer, you know the one we let go will end up being good and it will be revenue lost.

Now I like Kuipers and he has been a great servant to the club. However I would back Henderson to oust him and with his injury record, if somebody else was to come in for him, I think serious consideration would have to be given to that offer.

He is in his 30's now, which is no age for a keeper, but with his injury history can we afford to keep him and lose one of our 2 more than decent youngsters?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Easy 10 said:
But at least we can be comfortable in the knowledge that we both have a FABULOUS brain.
(just let me know when its my turn to have it again).

:)

It's all yours for the rest of the day. I'm going to watch Bullet Proof Monk for the next couple of hours, then I'm probably going to bed.:)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Interesting thread this but do we really know for sure that Kuipers earns big money or this a bit of guess-work based mainly on the fact that he's been around a while? I don't know either, btw, just wondered how much substance there was to this fairly important factor in all this.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Why don't we sell all our best players and replace them all with kids?

It all makes so much sense now...

What is wrong with people?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Bluejuice said:
Why don't we sell all our best players and replace them all with kids?

It all makes so much sense now...

What is wrong with people?

But pressuming Henderson is going to sign, it might be an expensive back up.

If he gets another bad injury we could end up having to pay him with no activity and people still go on about the Rodger and Blackwell situation. If there is a chance to make a few pennies and release some wages it might be something that is considered.

Henderson, Martin and Sullivan are likely to be more profitable in the transfer market in a few years than Kuipers is.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Easy 10 said:

Its a no-brainer.
Henderson does all of those things.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would have no problem with Martin or Sullivan being back up next season. Seems to make sense really.

BUT

I am slightly dubious as to why Chagneau is being picked. I suspect it is because McGhee is after transfer funds and needs to justify the spending he has already done.

Hence McCammon and Chagneau will start getting starting places...

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Richie Morris said:
I would have no problem with Martin or Sullivan being back up next season. Seems to make sense really.

BUT

I am slightly dubious as to why Chagneau is being picked. I suspect it is because McGhee is after transfer funds and needs to justify the spending he has already done.

Hence McCammon and Chagneau will start getting starting places...

What a load of poppycock.

Chaigneau is here on loan so we are just paying him (minimal) wages.

He deserves a chance and if he lives up to his potential we may be able to sign him permanently.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
But pressuming Henderson is going to sign, it might be an expensive back up.

If he gets another bad injury we could end up having to pay him with no activity and people still go on about the Rodger and Blackwell situation. If there is a chance to make a few pennies and release some wages it might be something that is considered.

Henderson, Martin and Sullivan are likely to be more profitable in the transfer market in a few years than Kuipers is.

Good points, but we don't even know that we have signed Henderson yet... and I am still not convinced he is a better all-round keeper than the FDM... I must admit that I think MM has made his mind up that Henderson is the number 1 tho'...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Give Flo a go I say. I think potentially he could be better than Hendo. I think the main priority is to decide who is the best get rid of the other two close season and have Martin as back up for next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here