Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chaigneau in goal tomorrow

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Michel Kuipers is a f***ing legend.

I really don't want him to leave as I think he is a quality goalkeeper. However I can understand the points about his poor distribution, age and past injuries, and maybe it might be better to cash him in for a "younger model" Only time will tell what McGhee's thinking is though

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
But if he is bench warming, he is an expensive bench warmer.

What worries me is he we let one of Martin or Sullivan go in the summer, you know the one we let go will end up being good and it will be revenue lost.

Now I like Kuipers and he has been a great servant to the club. However I would back Henderson to oust him and with his injury record, if somebody else was to come in for him, I think serious consideration would have to be given to that offer.

He is in his 30's now, which is no age for a keeper, but with his injury history can we afford to keep him and lose one of our 2 more than decent youngsters?
You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
At the end of the day, we NEED to have some quality backup in the squad. And yes, that costs, but its a false economy to have a scratch squad that leaves us short of skill and experience when the 1st choice is crocked or suspended. ESPECIALLY in the case of the goalkeeper, as even McGhee can't draft someone in from fullback/midfield to cover for that position.

(can he ?)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
At the end of the day, we NEED to have some quality backup in the squad. And yes, that costs, but its a false economy to have a scratch squad that leaves us short of skill and experience when the 1st choice is crocked or suspended. ESPECIALLY in the case of the goalkeeper, as even McGhee can't draft someone in from fullback/midfield to cover for that position.

(can he ?)

But if you have Henderson and Chaigeneu for the rest of this season, there is probably enough there.

Next season you have Henderson as number one with one of Martin or Sullivan bench warming, the other loaned out it will build these 2 up. If needed the loan system is there if we need cover for Henderson.

If Martin and Sullivan are as good as reports suggest we do not really want to lose either of them at this stage and in pre-season they both looked decent enough, however this season was definetly a season too soon.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:

(can he ?)

Walcotts on 90 quid a week according to sources

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Richie Morris said:
I suspect it is because McGhee is after transfer funds and needs to justify the spending he has already done.
Richie, you've said that a couple of times now, and frankly, its arse. Dick Knight is NOT going to decide the budget for McGhee based on whether or not he starts playing Chaigneau. The squad quite clearly needs strengthening, so Knight isn't going to enter into some kind of tit-for-tat "I want to see you select the players you've already brought in this season first" nonsense.

DK and MM ultimately want whats best for the team, they're hardly going to work against each other are they.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
But if you have Henderson and Chaigeneu for the rest of this season, there is probably enough there.

Next season you have Henderson as number one with one of Martin or Sullivan bench warming, the other loaned out it will build these 2 up. If needed the loan system is there if we need cover for Henderson.

If Martin and Sullivan are as good as reports suggest we do not really want to lose either of them at this stage and in pre-season they both looked decent enough, however this season was definetly a season too soon.
BY getting rid of Kuipers, would we REALLY be saving enough on wages to justify that ? And I don't want to have to reply on the loan system again as cover for our number 1...cos we usually end up with gubbins.
Course, it probably doesn't boil down to money at all. Maybe McGhee simply doesn't rate Kuipers any more, and just wants him shipped out ni favour of Henderson/Frenchie/kiddies.

Thats probably the most likely, going by Southampton.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
BY getting rid of Kuipers, would we REALLY be saving enough on wages to justify that ?
Course, it probably doesn't boil down to money at all. Maybe McGhee simply doesn't rate Kuipers any more, and just wants him shipped out ni favour of Henderson/Frenchie/kiddies.

Thats probably the most likely, going by Southampton.

This is the first season where we might have some competition in that position and then we might offload one of them.

However I do see sort of where they might be coming from if there is some truth in it, as it would enable us to keep both Martin and Sullivan.

But we shall see.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If we have two good young goalies coming through we need to try and keep them.

Chagneau and Henderson will be ok for the first team this season and I would like to think Martin could make the step up to second choice next year if clubs like Evertone have been showing an interest.

Kuipers has been a good servant but with resources at a minimal we need the money elsewhere.

Yoda

English & European
dunno said:
Looks like Everton are not pursuing their interest in Martin?? - or is it Sullivan - I always get the two of them mixed up - the Red headed one!!!!

It's Matrin they were after. He's even lost his place in the youth team to Johno.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Anyone who was at the Saints game will know Flo did enough to deserve another chance, some his saves in the second half were superb.

His kicking also puts him ahead of FDM.

Agreed, in this case.

The Timekeeper

FAT BOY 'NOT' SLIM
Sep 25, 2003
At home, the pub,the bookies
Peteinblack said:
Why him instead of Michel Kuipers?:censored:

Chaigneau stormed out of the dressing room and was last seen storming off towards the channel tunnel according to Mcghee after the QPR game on Boxing day. Perhaps he went on a booze trip and bought Mcghee back gallons of Scotch to bribe his way back into the team? FDM gets my vote over the snail eater any day.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
would be a very big mistake to let kuipers go he commands the penalty area far better than any other keeper we have had this season and has a much bigger presence in the box as well.

From past seasons he has always pulled saves out which have stopped certain goals not sure henderson has to the same extent granted he looks a promising prospect.

Surely £30'000 could be spent better helping to improve quality/numbers in defence, midfield etc.

It seems strange people thinkhing kuipers should go now, we need our most experienced and consistant performers here now to keep us in this league. If Mcghee has a long term plan surely it would be better implemented in the close season?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Barnham Seagull said:
would be a very big mistake to let kuipers go he commands the penalty area far better than any other keeper we have had this season and has a much bigger presence in the box as well.

From past seasons he has always pulled saves out which have stopped certain goals not sure henderson has to the same extent granted he looks a promising prospect.

Surely £30'000 could be spent better helping to improve quality/numbers in defence, midfield etc.

It seems strange people thinkhing kuipers should go now, we need our most experienced and consistant performers here now to keep us in this league. If Mcghee has a long term plan surely it would be better implemented in the close season?
#

Where you at Leeds?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here