Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic Rangers just got a little spicy

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Where's the Union flag at Withdean then?

The Flag Institute, the vexillological organisation for the United Kingdom, stated that the term Union Flag is a "relatively recent idea". Jack was a word previously used to denote any flag [according to The International Flag Book by CF Peterson]. It also noted that "From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. In 1908 a government minister stated, in response to a Parliamentary question, that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag" . [1]

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Funny. If you support Rangers that much why are you on here, f*** off onto a Rangers board?

You've just done it again, you started this, why did you not post on the Whoodle Whoops board. Just for the record Pat Nevin (staunch sheltic fan by the way) on 5 Live tonight expressed his concerns about Lemon and (dr john braindeid) and the effect they are causing taking the encounters between our 2 great clubs backwards and the implications it haves. . Just a quick question, without lying, how many times have you been !!

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Perhaps he is just trying to broaden his mind, just to show that he isn't a narrow minded bigot like a fair chunk of those who follow the Old Firm. Lets face it, if you come on a board for a club on the South Coast of "England" and start banging on about Rangers or Celtic you are bound to kop a fair amount of flack as most of us loathe you, or are at best completely indifferent to the antics and mentality of a bygone era that hang around Glasgow like a bad smell. We have at least made it to the twenty-first century, whilst many old firm supporters are stuck in the seventeenth.

Gully, that is a very good point you have made, I'm a Brighton fan since 1980 living down here, season ticket holder at The Goldstone, GILLINGAM FOR 2 SEASONS and Withdean, my credentials can't be questioned when talking about Brighton having arrived from the east end of Glasgow. The main point is that Lennon and (Dr) John Reid have a responsibility but they are stoking up problems as identified by Pat Nevin (staunch sheltic fan by the way on 5 live tonight), and whilst it is wrong they have to take a very good look at themselves. If Rangers win at Parkdead the players will celebrate, but if sheltic win at Ibrox then after the match Lennon is running all over the pitch, no decorum, no dignity. The guy is creating a massive massive problem. They have (Dr) John Reid QC who is fighting with the SFA every day in the knowledge he knows they cannot financially fight back.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Jimbo, I spent some time in Scotland though it was far less (3 years) than the time you have spent in Sussex, which ironically is longer than I actually lived there. In that time I lived in Edinburgh and followed Hearts, who I understand have a similar history with their cross-city neighbours as the auld firm do in Glasgow, though a much watered down version. The thing that struck me was that the Edinburgh teams and fans have diluted their age-old loathing to mere rivalry, which more often than not is fairly friendly in nature. The odd thing was that most of my Scottish friends were Hibees, who despite me being a Sassenach Jambo, treated me very well indeed and couldn't have made me feel more welcome in their city.

What I saw from Rangers and Celtic fans, particularly their behaviour towards each other, beggered belief. They seemed to revel in the hatred of each other, it gave them a reason to live in many cases, often I just wanted to give them a slap and tell them to grow up...the rest of the World has moved on, yet they are rooted firmly in the past.

When the First Minister gets involved in trying to negotiate a peace deal between the clubs, you know it is far too serious, and to be honest I think he is wasting his breath.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
What I saw from Rangers and Celtic fans, particularly their behaviour towards each other, beggered belief. They seemed to revel in the hatred of each other, it gave them a reason to live in many cases, often I just wanted to give them a slap and tell them to grow up...the rest of the World has moved on, yet they are rooted firmly in the past.

Yes, the 2 sets of fans hate each other. Is there a problem with that? Last time I checked, that's what a rivalry is about. There would be dislike between the two groups of people regardless of whether Celtic and Rangers existed or not. To me, its a positive thing that this can be expressed through football - and clubs with conflicting identities like this are what makes football great. I would say England is almost alone in Europe in that it doesn't have a political/national rivalry in its football culture, and yet people who seem to know nothing about the Glasgow clubs seem to be so quick to judge it.

Violence and arrests aren't good, but contrary to rumours they are not the norm. Come to the Brewery Tap before tommorow's game and you will find a mix of Rangers and Celtic (all Albion) having a perfectly civil chat about Scottish footy. In fact, given that today's news featured Birmingham fans invading the pitch, clashing with police and throwing flares that their opposite numbers - how the f*** have people on here decided to focus on the Glasgow clubs??

As I said before on this thread - we seem to revere the brilliant football clubs of Europe that mix politics, nationalism, history and football culture - yet get all condescending when there are two examples (yes I include Rangers) on our doorstep.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Yes, the 2 sets of fans hate each other. Is there a problem with that? Last time I checked, that's what a rivalry is about. There would be dislike between the two groups of people regardless of whether Celtic and Rangers existed or not. To me, its a positive thing that this can be expressed through football - and clubs with conflicting identities like this are what makes football great. I would say England is almost alone in Europe in that it doesn't have a political/national rivalry in its football culture, and yet people who seem to know nothing about the Glasgow clubs seem to be so quick to judge it.

Violence and arrests aren't good, but contrary to rumours they are not the norm. Come to the Brewery Tap before tommorow's game and you will find a mix of Rangers and Celtic (all Albion) having a perfectly civil chat about Scottish footy. In fact, given that today's news featured Birmingham fans invading the pitch, clashing with police and throwing flares that their opposite numbers - how the f*** have people on here decided to focus on the Glasgow clubs??

As I said before on this thread - we seem to revere the brilliant football clubs of Europe that mix politics, nationalism, history and football culture - yet get all condescending when there are two examples (yes I include Rangers) on our doorstep.

Barcelona, Real Madrid funded for their dodgy quids and all paid for by their local governments. Now that is wrong !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here