Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carlton cole?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That's the point, He doesn't. I know a few West Ham lads who always moan

Exactly. They moaned about Zamora as well. he scored all the goals in their playoff run, went to Fulham as a west ham 'flop' and became one of the best hold-up players in the country.

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I am not convinced that Reading "completely bossed us all over the pitch" at the AMEX, in fact it was closer to the other way around and we were unlucky not to at least draw if not win the game...

Fair point.

But the amount of away games (I do more away than home because im based up North) where we were completely bullied off the ball, where people were mislead into thinking we bossed tha game because we passed it around in our own half for 45 minutes was alarming. Even games like Doncaster away, they physically outmuscled us, same thing against Coventry away, Derby away (any other team who could finish would've beaten us 4 or 5-1), Notts Forest away, and Blackpool for 70 minutes we were bossed out the game by being too weak up top.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
People on this board have COMPLETELY lost context of player's abilitys since we had a little bit of wonga.

"I'm disappointed by this"
"He's not good enough"
"I was hoping for better".

Unbelievable. If we were Arsenal then YES, I would be disappointed.

However we aren't. We are BRIGHTON. Only 2 years ago we were signing CHRIS HOLROYD. Around the same time that Cole was playing for ENGLAND.

Even last season we were signing Billy Paynter.

This is a guy who has just scored an excellent goal in the playoff final. Who had bids made for him by prem teams last summer. Who has played for England. Who spent his footballing youth training with Zola. and he's not 'good enough'

Blimey.

It's not that he's not good enough for us, he clearly is, but it's the amount of money that he'd cost that I'd say no to. We're obviously not going to sign him in a million years so all this is irrelevant. But hypothetically, I wouldn't want us spending £5m, nor paying huge wages on him.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I just emailed this thread link to a West Ham fan I know.

He's pissing his pants at the Carlton Cole love-in on here.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No, he's not.

Carlton Cole was on £28k a week in the Premier League, and took a 50% pay cut, so is currently on 14k a week. Plucking figures from mid air means nothing.

Carlton Cole: West Ham win is my reward for a 50% wage cut! | The Sun |Sport|Football
Carlton Cole took 50% pay cut to stay at West Ham | Mail Online

OK if that is correct he is back on £28k a week isn't he? Still £1.5m a season or do you think he enjoyed getting £14k so much he wants to go back to it? I've got some really bad news for you about the Tooth fairy and Father Christmas as well...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I just emailed this thread link to a West Ham fan I know.

He's pissing his pants at the Carlton Cole love-in on here.

Not really a love-in is it. Those who are pro-cole are clearly saying that those claiming its a bad signing are delusional. No one has claimed he is a world beater. .....

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Exactly. They moaned about Zamora as well. he scored all the goals in their playoff run, went to Fulham as a west ham 'flop' and became one of the best hold-up players in the country.

As much as I agree that WH fans like a good moan, CC is not in the same league as BZ.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Not really a love-in is it. Those who are pro-cole are clearly saying that those claiming its a bad signing are delusional. No one has claimed he is a world beater. .....

His words, not mine.

EDIT: I dont think anyone thinks its a bad signing depending on cost. I wouldn't want to invest big on CC and hang our hat on him for the next 3 to 4 years though.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Although obviously I don't think it will happen from my previous posts. Carlton Cole is exactly the sort of player we need IMO. Strong, holds the ball up, a threat in the air, not the most mobile but that is what stops him being top class. He would be a threat to any Championship defence with our wide players feeding him, would also hold his own should we be promoted...sort of poor man's Bobby Z

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Although obviously I don't think it will happen from my previous posts. Carlton Cole is exactly the sort of player we need IMO. Strong, holds the ball up, a threat in the air, not the most mobile but that is what stops him being top class. He would be a threat to any Championship defence with our wide players feeding him, would also hold his own should we be promoted...sort of poor man's Bobby Z

Exactly. Another example is Shola Ameobi. Mocked player, looked brilliant at the Amex.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Exactly what we need and while some of the 'costs' quoted (should that read invented) in this thread are laughable, I wouldn't want to blow the bank to get him but if a sensible deal could be done then great

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
His words, not mine.

EDIT: I dont think anyone thinks its a bad signing depending on cost. I wouldn't want to invest big on CC and hang our hat on him for the next 3 to 4 years though.

To be fair to West Ham fans not booing your own side and manager for 90 minutes counts as a love-in

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Exactly. Another example is Shola Ameobi. Mocked player, looked brilliant at the Amex.

I was also impressed with him in his brief outing. That type of player is something we are screaming out for, someone who can hold the ball and allow others to get around him. Another one in a similar mould was Jason Roberts. Historically the teams who have done well in the Championship have had a big guy up top who could bully teams. Lambert, Holt etc etc. I guess the scarcity of these players is why they demand an over inflated price.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

And nobody has claimed he is sh1t either... just that we could do better...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I was also impressed with him in his brief outing. That type of player is something we are screaming out for, someone who can hold the ball and allow others to get around him. Another one in a similar mould was Jason Roberts. Historically the teams who have done well in the Championship have had a big guy up top who could bully teams. Lambert, Holt etc etc. I guess the scarcity of these players is why they demand an over inflated price.

In which case, let's just stick to doing it our way a la Swansea...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
i was also impressed with him in his brief outing. That type of player is something we are screaming out for, someone who can hold the ball and allow others to get around him. Another one in a similar mould was jason roberts. Historically the teams who have done well in the championship have had a big guy up top who could bully teams. Lambert, holt etc etc. I guess the scarcity of these players is why they demand an over inflated price.

<< double post >>

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I am not convinced that Reading "completely bossed us all over the pitch" at the AMEX, in fact it was closer to the other way around and we were unlucky not to at least draw if not win the game...

Even Reading fans admit we played them off the park that day- had it not been for Federici, we would have won that game comfortably.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I don't think we will change our passing style in any way. It's just having a focal point to allow cms etc to not do the hard work.

Swansea have Danny Graham. 6ft 1, strong and not as technical. They did what we are trying to do now by recruiting a slightly stronger striker.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

I'd love to see us do a "Swansea" but the fact remains Gus wants a big man up top, I was merely pointing out that Historically it was this type of player that got teams promoted. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here