Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I have- great player
Vinnie.jpg

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
People on this board have COMPLETELY lost context of player's abilitys since we had a little bit of wonga.

"I'm disappointed by this"
"He's not good enough"
"I was hoping for better".

Unbelievable. If we were Arsenal then YES, I would be disappointed.

However we aren't. We are BRIGHTON. Only 2 years ago we were signing CHRIS HOLROYD. Around the same time that Cole was playing for ENGLAND.

Even last season we were signing Billy Paynter.

This is a guy who has just scored an excellent goal in the playoff final. Who had bids made for him by prem teams last summer. Who has played for England. Who spent his footballing youth training with Zola. and he's not 'good enough'

Blimey.

Stumpy Tim

People on this board have COMPLETELY lost context of player's abilitys since we had a little bit of wonga.

"He's not good enough"

However we aren't. We are BRIGHTON. Only 2 years ago we were signing CHRIS HOLROYD. Around the same time that Cole was playing for ENGLAND.

This is a guy who has just scored an excellent goal in the playoff final. Who had bids made for him by prem teams last summer. Who has played for England. Who spent his footballing youth training with Zola. and he's not 'good enough'

Blimey.

Very much this. Which is why he won't be signing for us

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

"He's not good enough"

Blimey.

You make a fair point but we're not really the same Brighton as 2 years ago. Then we were playing in front of 7000 people and just happy to kick around the League 1 playoff picture.

Now we're looking to be playing in front of 27000 , have a much better budget and are planning to get into the Premier League.

If we signed Cole it would be at least for 2 years. Hypothetically, If we get promoted this season he has to be able to perform in the Prem for us the following season. This is the same Cole who scored 5 goals in the Prem 2 seasons ago. This is also the Cole who only netted 1 goal more than Ashley Barnes last year.

So imo, he's not good enough as our long term striking solution. .

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
You make a fair point but we're not really the same Brighton as 2 years ago. Then we were playing in front of 7000 people and just happy to kick around the League 1 playoff picture.

Now we're looking to be playing in front of 27000 , have a much better budget and are planning to get into the Premier League.

If we signed Cole it would be at least for 2 years. Hypothetically, If we get promoted this season he has to be able to perform in the Prem for us the following season. This is the same Cole who scored 5 goals in the Prem 2 seasons ago. This is also the Cole who only netted 1 goal more than Ashley Barnes last year.

It's not all about scoring goals!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I didn't say that but if we can bring in someone to help CMS then he will score goals.

If you're looking for a player to do some donkey work to help CMS then Cole isn't your man. He's a pretty lazy player, plus the money West Ham would want for him + wages I just don't see the value.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

It's easy to fix an argument your way if you amend statistics to how you want to read them. Cole scored 15 league goals last season, in 31 starts, CMS scored 9 goals in 40 starts, Barnes 11 in 36. The two seasons before the only one you decide to quote, in the premiership Cole scored 10 goals.

Honest question, who on earth do you want the club to bring in as a striker? Because it's quite shocking some of the players our fans are now turning their noses up at.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
It's easy to fix an argument your way if you amend statistics to how you want to read them. Cole scored 15 league goals last season, in 31 starts, CMS scored 9 goals in 40 starts, Barnes 11 in 36. The two seasons before the only one you decide to quote, in the premiership Cole scored 10 goals.

Honest question, who on earth do you want the club to bring in as a striker? Because it's quite shocking some of the players our fans are now turning their noses up at.

If you rate him that's fine. As a season long loan deal to help us get to the Prem, I could even buy that, but not a huge transfer fee and 2 to 3 years of his wages on top.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If you rate him that's fine. As a season long loan deal to help us get to the Prem, I could even buy that, but not a huge transfer fee and 2 to 3 years of his wages on top.

Come on then, throw some names of people you would want, that you feel would be better than someone like Carlton Cole. Im intrigued.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Come on then, throw some names of people you would want, that you feel would be better than someone like Carlton Cole. Im intrigued.

I'd actually rather stick with CMS, Barnes and Hoskins and spend the money in Midfield.

As for stats, Cole scores 1 in every 4 games over his West Ham career. So you tell me, how much would you want to pay for that?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's not all about scoring goals!

Exactly. The whole point of signing a bigger striker is to let him act as a FOIL.

He can do all the donkey work and allow CMS to focus on getting in the box.

I still don't understand how people are failing to understand this.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'd actually rather stick with CMS, Barnes and Hoskins and spend the money in Midfield.

As for stats, Cole scores 1 in every 4 games over his West Ham career. So you tell me, how much would you want to pay for that?

He wouldn't cost £5m. That figure has been thrown about by yet more people on this board putting 2 and 2 together, because ONE person heard a rumour of a £5m player.
I'm not saying we should definitely sign him, just people saying he's not good enough need to think what they are actually expecting. In some games you need to be physical, end of. Do you honestly think ONE midfielder could change the games like West Ham (twice), Reading (Twice), Southampton (who were on top before Lambert was sent off) where we were completely bossed off the pitch all over? No, course they wouldnt.

3 strikers, 2 of whom have done nothing of any real substance in this division before is EXTREMELY risky.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

"He's not good enough"

Blimey.

So agree with this. People on here are dilusional, Joe Cole?!!! Michael Essien?!!! Seriously? I bet those mugs from South London must be pissing themselves when they read these threads. Carlton Cole would be on what? £40-50k a week? or £2m a season plus bonuses, plus a signing on fee, loyalty bonuses, oh and a fee of say £5m. So an outlay of what say £14-15m over a four year contract? Unless TB has won a couple of oil wells playing poker this is all nonsense...

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Exactly. The whole point of signing a bigger striker is to let him act as a FOIL.

He can do all the donkey work and allow CMS to focus on getting in the box.

I still don't understand how people are failing to understand this.

That's the point, He doesn't. I know a few West Ham lads who always moan about what a lazy bastard he is.

He wouldn't cost £5m. That figure has been thrown about by yet more people on this board putting 2 and 2 together, because ONE person heard a rumour of a £5m player.

3 strikers, 2 of whom have done nothing of any real substance in this division before is EXTREMELY risky.

Fair enough, if the price was as low as you think then I'd be for it, but I wouldn't want to spend the kind of money on him that's been touted previously. Just look at the post above with the figures there!!! :wozza:

And like a said, a quality midfielder is a bigger priority imho.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I'm not saying we should definitely sign him, just people saying he's not good enough need to think what they are actually expecting. In some games you need to be physical, end of. Do you honestly think ONE midfielder could change the games like West Ham (twice), Reading (Twice), Southampton (who were on top before Lambert was sent off) where we were completely bossed off the pitch all over? No, course they wouldnt.

I am not convinced that Reading "completely bossed us all over the pitch" at the AMEX, in fact it was closer to the other way around and we were unlucky not to at least draw if not win the game...

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
So agree with this. People on here are dilusional, Joe Cole?!!! Michael Essien?!!! Seriously? I bet those mugs from South London must be pissing themselves when they read these threads. Carlton Cole would be on what? £40-50k a week? or £2m a season plus bonuses, plus a signing on fee, loyalty bonuses, oh and a fee of say £5m. So an outlay of what say £14-15m over a four year contract? Unless TB has won a couple of oil wells playing poker this is all nonsense...

No, he's not.

Carlton Cole was on £28k a week in the Premier League, and took a 50% pay cut, so is currently on 14k a week. Plucking figures from mid air means nothing.

Carlton Cole: West Ham win is my reward for a 50% wage cut! | The Sun |Sport|Football
Carlton Cole took 50% pay cut to stay at West Ham | Mail Online

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here