Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carl Rushworth

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Hall, the Australian 19 year old!

Stephen Hall is way off the first team squad. He's only played two U23 games since he joined. KIlian Cahill is much more likely to be involved in the first team setup than Hall assuming that Cahill accepts a new contract.

I would think @GT49er meant Tom McGill as the 6th keeper around the first team squad, but he's in a bit of a unique position. Clear 3rd choice/training keeper he's very unlikely to ever get an mins with the first team, but his presence allows us to be more flexible with loans for other goalkeepers.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
£20m with a small sell on at least if Ipswich want him.

I think we'd be mad to sell. Trafford was in a similar position last Summer, went to Burnley for £15m, but it looks like he'll be off again this Summer with Newcastle and Chelsea interested

Last edited:

knekkebrød

May 20, 2018
Norway
Could it be about the pathway? When we buy young players we try to sell them a belief in Brighton there is a pathway to first team football at the highest level.

So if there isn't one for Carl Rushworth at the club, we might have to let him go? To maintain the idea/image/belief? This club doesn't stand in the way of a young player and his career

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
doesn’t benefit anyone to have rushworth on the bench all season only playing cups. loan him to ipswich and make it very clear we’re not interested in a permanent deal now. bart then has a great season, is sold to chelsea next summer and rushworth becomes our no. 1
.................and Sarmiento's second season at Ipswich?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Then Ipswich would have to buy Sarmiento if they want him next season too. Do we want to sell Sarmiento? - or Rushworth? They can't both go on loan to Ipswich - and isn't the Sarmiento lon deal that he stays another season if they get promoted (which they have)? That was certainly rumoured anyway.
I have no idea about sarmiento's situation. Doesn't detract from a loan to Ipswich for rushworth being ideal for us and him in terms of his development and our gk situation.

To be fair, I have no idea if Ipswich actually want Rushworth, it's just a deal that makes a lot of sense imo.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have no idea about sarmiento's situation. Doesn't detract from a loan to Ipswich for rushworth being ideal for us and him in terms of his development and our gk situation.

To be fair, I have no idea if Ipswich actually want Rushworth, it's just a deal that makes a lot of sense imo.
Two rumours - both on \NSC in fairly recent times. One, Sarmiento's deal includes a second season on loan at Ipswich and two, Ipswich are interested in Rushworth. Both can't be loans.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Two rumours - both on \NSC in fairly recent times. One, Sarmiento's deal includes a second season on loan at Ipswich and two, Ipswich are interested in Rushworth. Both can't be loans.
Yeah I saw the rumours but for know theyre just rumours. If they're both true then there is clearly a way around the issue.

From our point of view Rushworth getting a loan at Ipswich would be very positive. Premier league football for a manager/style that we clearly like and for a team that shouldn't be a major rival.

If not Ipswich I'd be happy to see him loaned to Southampton (provide @sid and the Sharknado's is willing to let the move go ahead) or to a club Ina major European league.

Basically I don't think we should sell him this summer and a loan is the best option with Ipswich being a particularlygood loan destination.(unless he's clearly better than Bart...).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If we do sell Steele then we're going to need a proper number 2, if Rushworth goes on loan then expect us to get an experienced old head as the back up. Someone like Wes Foderingham or Alex McCarthy perhaps, from the list of out of contract English goalies.

As far as Ipswich wanting our goalies, i feel a bit sorry for the good Cornish lad and Brighton old boy Christian Walton. After years of bouncing round loan clubs he finally got a permanent move to Ipswich a couple of years back, McKenna made him his number 1 in League 1 where he was everpresent during their promotion, then got a bad foot injury in pre season and didn't get his place back. He's just signed an extension and is still only 28, but his career is full of what could of beens, like when he was number 2 to Ryan at the start of 20-21, did his ankle in pre season and was overtaken by Sanchez.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If we do sell Steele then we're going to need a proper number 2, if Rushworth goes on loan then expect us to get an experienced old head as the back up. Someone like Wes Foderingham or Alex McCarthy perhaps, from the list of out of contract English goalies.

As far as Ipswich wanting our goalies, i feel a bit sorry for the good Cornish lad and Brighton old boy Christian Walton. After years of bouncing round loan clubs he finally got a permanent move to Ipswich a couple of years back, McKenna made him his number 1 in League 1 where he was everpresent during their promotion, then got a bad foot injury in pre season and didn't get his place back. He's just signed an extension and is still only 28, but his career is full of what could of beens, like when he was number 2 to Ryan at the start of 20-21, did his ankle in pre season and was overtaken by Sanchez.
🤔

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I remember that pre-season match. Some of us thought that Sanchez might have overtaken Walton, but it looked as if the club thought otherwise - it was Walton who was brought on at half-time for Ryan. The first thing he did was a humungous howler, then seemed to pull himself together and came for a cross, made a terrific take - and fell on his ankle; Sanchez replaced him, played a blinder, and the rest is history.
Almost the same scenario at Ipswich - an injury at the worst possible time cost him his place. You have to feel for the lad!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I know our new head coach will not have a final say, but let's at least get him involved in squad decisions before shipping out any players.

Wait until after the head coach is appointed before decisions are made on Rushworth and the rest.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022

The story seems to be that they want to buy Rushworth, but would accept a loan if we're not willing to sell.

You have to also wonder about the Steele rumours, is his agent looking for options because he knows next season will be different for him here?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here