Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carl Rushworth

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Whatever the question, Steele is not the answer.
Steele is an ideal back-up keeper for us: he's happy to sit on the bench every week, but is someone who has enough experience that we can trust to do an ok job on the few occasions he's called upon. That is the reason we bought him 6 years ago.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I don't like to see young English players being sold. We should be trying to develop them and give them a chance. Pretty sure Tony Bloom once said he'd love a first eleven that was fully English home grown. That seems a millions mile away with our incoming signings predominantly from abroad (unless they are 30+) so the only chance of that is keeping the English ones we have developed.
It really highlights what an absurdly good job the Bilbao academy does. Given their restrictions that players must come from the Basque region (not even just Spain) and yet they are one of the teams who have never been relegated from La Liga. To be able to consistently field top flight quality teams over decades using locally born or raised players in every position on the pitch.

Even our youth teams are sourced from all over Europe. The English kids come from across the country (for example Rushworth is a Yorkshire lad I believe).

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Steele is an ideal back-up keeper for us: he's happy to sit on the bench every week, but is someone who has enough experience that we can trust to do an ok job on the few occasions he's called upon. That is the reason we bought him 6 years ago.
Personally, I believe him to be the ideal person to inherit the Tom McGill role. Absolutely no risk at all of him being seen on the pitch.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I seem to be the only person on NSC that thinks that cashing in on Rushworth is a good idea if the price is right. It looks almost certain that Bart is our number-one keeper, and he's a year younger than Rushworth. There's literally no point in having Rushworth wasting a season as back up when he'll probably play 6-7 cup games, most of which are likely to be against non-PL opposition.
There's some truth in that, but I think if we don't even give Rushworth the chance to prove himself with the first team then we're doing him a disservice after years at the club.

Maybe he's good enough to oust Bart?

Bart will also be sold at some point in the next couple of seasons assuming his upward trajectory continues. Who will replace him, Beadle or Rushworth?

We have also been extraordinarily lucky with a lack of GK injuries in the Premier League, so forget the value of having decent backups.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Isn't this part of the Tony/club model? Especially when it comes to goalkeepers – I seem to recall there was a story about snapping up young English/British keepers as investments? Not every young talent is going to make it into the first team squad. Look at the goalkeeper situation last year – a wealth of talent at the club's disposal and it decided the best option was to bring in Bart as short- to mid-term number one. That doesn't mean the others are gash, more that we may have reached a point where selling at the right price – rather than hanging on to see if/when they become the next big thing – is the best option for all concerned.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Wonder if any progress on Rushworth/Ipswich after earlier rumours....

They’d been trying to get him to sign a new deal since January but couldn’t come to an agreement.

Wonder if media speculation over another keeper coming in (both Rushworth and Steele have been mentioned recently for a start), plus whatever he’s been told by the club over what his place will be next season has swayed his decision not to agree a new deal.

Seems it’s very much the players decision to leave rather than Ipswich not wanting him anymore.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was he their no1?
He was no.2 to Christian Walton, who had come in and replaced him, being a better GK. Walton got injured, Hladkey stepped up bigtime, hugely improved on what he did before, and kept Walton out of the team even when he eventually recovered from injury.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
James Beadles spring in Sheffield might have improved the sellability of Rushworth. Would prefer a loan but if we get a good deal then no objections from me. Beadle looks the real deal and could hopefully replace Bart in a year or three.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here