Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carl Rushworth

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I should have said lower half and thereby ruled them out :(
Yes, they're currently sitting at an unprecedented season high of 7th!

Screenshot 2024-07-17 163750.png

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022

Verbruggen is likely to miss the start of the Premier League season, so Rushworth's next loan move will be delayed until later in the transfer window. Several Championship clubs are interested.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
suprises me a little that Rushworth is going out on loan again, although another 30 games is huge experience wise.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My heart is disappointed by this but my head is telling me this is probably the best move for Rushworth and for us too. Steele has quite clearly done enough to retain his number two spot and hold down the fort before bart takeover as the undisputed number one.
Same feelings. I can see the logic though.

One more season of Bart seems to be the plan if all goes well!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Quite happy that it's a loan with no intention to sell. Much better for his development than to sit on the bench for a season. Presumably Bart will attract large bids next summer and hopefully Rushworth will be ready to take the step up to number one.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
If we're never going to give him a go in the first team, just sell him. By the time Verbruggen goes, Beadle will also be knocking on the first team door.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Quite happy that it's a loan with no intention to sell. Much better for his development than to sit on the bench for a season. Presumably Bart will attract large bids next summer and hopefully Rushworth will be ready to take the step up to number one.
Exactly this. If Bart has the season i think he will then a big move will be on the cards for him next summer.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
A loan, as long as its to a top championship side with no buy option, makes total sense to me. This year we'll have Verbruggen as number 1, with Steele as back up. If he has another solid season then next summer we could see interest from bigger clubs in Verbruggen, which will mean we'll have Rushworth already lined up to take over. With Beadle at Sheff Wed this year, he could then do another loan to a top Championship club the season after and it continues our conveyor belt. We COULD bring in Rushworth to the first team this year, but him and Beadle are young keepers, and there's no point rushing their development all the while we have Verbruggen and Steele.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A loan, as long as its to a top championship side with no buy option, makes total sense to me. This year we'll have Verbruggen as number 1, with Steele as back up. If he has another solid season then next summer we could see interest from bigger clubs in Verbruggen, which will mean we'll have Rushworth already lined up to take over. With Beadle at Sheff Wed this year, he could then do another loan to a top Championship club the season after and it continues our conveyor belt. We COULD bring in Rushworth to the first team this year, but him and Beadle are young keepers, and there's no point rushing their development all the while we have Verbruggen and Steele.
Rushworth is older than Bart... but still very young for keepers

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If we're never going to give him a go in the first team, just sell him. By the time Verbruggen goes, Beadle will also be knocking on the first team door.
I can't believe that anyone is entertaining the thought that keeping Rushworth here this season will be good for his development. What are they expecting: more rotation like last season? Rushworth replacing Bart?
A loan is what's best for him. That leaves Bart as first choice, Steele as second (and first in one/both of the cups), and an open question about third choice.
You're spot on that next in line is an open question and, if you follow their career trajectory, Beadle is looking likelier to replace Bart than Rushworth.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I can't believe that anyone is entertaining the thought that keeping Rushworth here this season will be good for his development. What are they expecting: more rotation like last season? Rushworth replacing Bart?
A loan is what's best for him. That leaves Bart as first choice, Steele as second (and first in one/both of the cups), and an open question about third choice.
You're spot on that next in line is an open question and, if you follow their career trajectory, Beadle is looking likelier to replace Bart than Rushworth.
To each their own.

Rushworth is a better goalie than Steele. It's no bad thing to have a good backup, we have been so lucky with goalkeeper injuries in the PL that as a fanbase we don't seem to understand the value of this.

What is the end goal of all these loans if not him fighting for a first team place? Or is the end goal just getting a loan fee every year until his contract runs out?

I still think he should stay and compete. If he's good enough to oust Bart, then give him the opportunity. 5-10 games a season in the cup plus coverage for injuries is not so stifling for his development, most goalies have a few seasons like this. His value will hold, he's already proven himself at Championship level.

More my frustration is just - all these neverending loans but still no shot at the first team? What's the point of one more then, what will change? Beadle will be in the same position next year too making it even more difficult.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
To each their own.

Rushworth is a better goalie than Steele. It's no bad thing to have a good backup, we have been so lucky with goalkeeper injuries in the PL that as a fanbase we don't seem to understand the value of this.

What is the end goal of all these loans if not him fighting for a first team place? Or is the end goal just getting a loan fee every year until his contract runs out?

I still think he should stay and compete. If he's good enough to oust Bart, then give him the opportunity. 5-10 games a season in the cup plus coverage for injuries is not so stifling for his development, most goalies have a few seasons like this. His value will hold, he's already proven himself at Championship level.

More my frustration is just - all these neverending loans but still no shot at the first team? What's the point of one more then, what will change? Beadle will be in the same position next year too making it even more difficult.

It does seem a shame that we didn't get to see him play in Japan or at QPR just once to see how he'd work with the team, especially with Bart being injured and us holding back Rushworth's next loan till the end of the window because of this. If there was any setback with Bart, it would have been good to see how Rushworth could operate within our squad.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Verbruggen is likely to miss the start of the Premier League season, so Rushworth's next loan move will be delayed until later in the transfer window. Several Championship clubs are interested.

Makes sense if, as I suggested earlier, Rushworth plays for the first few games for us, and moves on loan on the last day of the transfer window. You can bet your mortgage that there'll be Championship teams wanting him - I wonder whether we could do something more creative/interesting - Serie A, the Eredivisie or La Liga for a year, perhaps?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Makes sense if, as I suggested earlier, Rushworth plays for the first few games for us, and moves on loan on the last day of the transfer window. You can bet your mortgage that there'll be Championship teams wanting him - I wonder whether we could do something more creative/interesting - Serie A, the Eredivisie or La Liga for a year, perhaps?
Just think if that was the plan, he would have got on the pitch in pre season

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To each their own.

He needs to be playing to develop, not sit watching Bart. This time next year we’ll be selling one of them, probably Bart to a top 4/6 club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here