Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carl Rushworth

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Makes sense if, as I suggested earlier, Rushworth plays for the first few games for us, and moves on loan on the last day of the transfer window. You can bet your mortgage that there'll be Championship teams wanting him - I wonder whether we could do something more creative/interesting - Serie A, the Eredivisie or La Liga for a year, perhaps?
Agree but as @Nobby Cybergoat states it would be better therefore if he’d had time playing with the back 4 - I think Steeley starts until Bart is fit and Carl is there purely as backup until the loan

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He needs to be playing to develop, not sit watching Bart. This time next year we’ll be selling one of them, probably Bart to a top 4/6 club.
Yep, agree with this. Bart is the 'develop here and sell'. Rushworth or Beadle are the 'develop elsewhere and use'. Purely IMO of course.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Sheffield United are allegedly interested and if so we should be able to get a nice loan fee off them and for them to cover his wages for the season.
Good development opportunity too.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Sheffield United are allegedly interested and if so we should be able to get a nice loan fee off them and for them to cover his wages for the season.
Good development opportunity too.

That would mean having both of our EFL loaned goalkeepers in Sheffield.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Being reported today that we're hanging on to him until Bart is fit, then he'll go out on loan again.

Right now, it feels like this has Leeds United all over it. Meslier has been crap for three seasons now, they have money to pay wages for the right player, and they're a promotion-seeking side.

I can't help wondering if we're going to have another Ben White scenario in a year's time.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Being reported today that we're hanging on to him until Bart is fit, then he'll go out on loan again.

Right now, it feels like this has Leeds United all over it. Meslier has been crap for three seasons now, they have money to pay wages for the right player, and they're a promotion-seeking side.

I can't help wondering if we're going to have another Ben White scenario in a year's time.
Leeds would be a good fit. I know we all like to mock them and their fans. However a run at automatic promotion in a team who try and play in a similar style to us would be mutually beneficial.
And when he’s secured them promotion and their fans claim him as their own we can laugh again.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Leeds would be a good fit. I know we all like to mock them and their fans. However a run at automatic promotion in a team who try and play in a similar style to us would be mutually beneficial.
And when he’s secured them promotion and their fans claim him as their own we can laugh again.
None of us know who Carl Rushworth is. Leeds are on the verge of discovering him and unleashing his talent, which has so far been unrecognised with only 2 POTS awards in 3 seasons.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I'd rather see him go to a lower PL club, if we can find one that is suitable; ideal next step in his development. Failing that, a season in Serie A or the Bundesliga. He's already 'done' the Championship.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Exactly what @Fourteenth Eye and I said after the game yesterday, not from a position of ITK but simply because it makes sense. Until Bart's fit there's no other real back up to Steele.

Much as I'd hate to help Leeds, another 'Free Rushworth' meltdown from their halfwit fans would be incredible.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
What is it about Rushworth that our coaches don't trust? He's had a number of loans now, and he's returned to the Albion with plaudits ringing in his ears everytime. Keep him with us and use him that's my opinion.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
What is it about Rushworth that our coaches don't trust? He's had a number of loans now, and he's returned to the Albion with plaudits ringing in his ears everytime. Keep him with us and use him that's my opinion.
It’s nothing to do with trust etc. If we use him what do we do with Bart who cost us £20m a year ago. Send Rushworth out on loan to continue his development and get him more experience so he’s ready to step in when the big money offers come in for Bart.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Verbruggen
Verbruggen is our first choice GK. That's not a reflection on Rushworth or not trusting him. If, as seems possible, Verbruggen will be a big money sale in a year's time, then Rushworth (or Beadle) will be available to step in. There is no point in keeping Rushworth here for a season to sit on the bench and play just in the cup games.

I do find it surprising though, that we haven't been using him instead of Steele while Verbruggen is injured - at least until deadline day, when he can go out on the loan that undoubtedly will have been arranged for him by then (if it hasn't already).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s nothing to do with trust etc. If we use him what do we do with Bart who cost us £20m a year ago. Send Rushworth out on loan to continue his development and get him more experience so he’s ready to step in when the big money offers come in for Bart.
We probably only bought Verbruggen because de Zerbi fell out with Sanchez. Ultimately Verbruggen has turned out well for us, but undoubtedly it complicated matters with our succession planning.
My guess is that originally the plan would have been to sell Sanchez this summer for a decent wedge and replace him with young Rushworth. Now Rushworth, if he is ever to play for us, will have to wait his turn - maybe in a year's time if Verbruggen has a stellar season now that we're not buggering about with GK rotation and attracts good bids from top six type clubs.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The thought of just Steele + the rookies as backup for Verbruggen doesn't inspire me much tbh. I'm not a Steele fan so to to me it seems we are rather light in the GK department *shudder*.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The thought of just Steele + the rookies as backup for Verbruggen doesn't inspire me much tbh. I'm not a Steele fan so to to me it seems we are rather light in the GK department *shudder*.
Steele is, and always was, excellent as a no.2 GK, just not as our no.1. We were lucky to get away with it in 22-23 and still finish 6th. and qualify for Europe. No qualms about him being back up to Verbruggen though.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Bart will be number 1. Steele is great to have in the squad. Rushworth going out on loan would be high up our priority list as a year on the bench doesn't add anything to his development

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here