Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carl Rushworth

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Can’t see us selling him unless he wants to go somewhere permanently. A loan would be good

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
To be completely honest, I disagree with the idea but it wouldnt surprise me if he was sold with a healthy sell on clause.

Rushworth is competing long term for the first team slot with Verbruggen and Beadle (and still Steele is contracted for a while yet). There's really no guarantees for him here, maybe Beadle overtakes him as Sanchez did to Walton.

I'd like to see him take over the backup goalie role and put pressure on Bart this season. But maybe he wants to be a guaranteed first choice. Ipswich have money to spend.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
No problem with a loan, and a firm ‘don’t be all Leedsy about it when the loan ends’. & we extend his contract here.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be completely honest, I disagree with the idea but it wouldnt surprise me if he was sold with a healthy sell on clause.

Rushworth is competing long term for the first team slot with Verbruggen and Beadle (and still Steele is contracted for a while yet). There's really no guarantees for him here, maybe Beadle overtakes him as Sanchez did to Walton.

I'd like to see him take over the backup goalie role and put pressure on Bart this season. But maybe he wants to be a guaranteed first choice. Ipswich have money to spend.
Agree, it is a bit like Walton and Sanchez all over again (though they are competing at different levels to CW and RS). Shame we're going to have to lose at least one of them. Still, a season on loan in the PL should boost Rushworth's price (if he doesn't do a Trafford).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I seem to be the only person on NSC that thinks that cashing in on Rushworth is a good idea if the price is right. It looks almost certain that Bart is our number-one keeper, and he's a year younger than Rushworth. There's literally no point in having Rushworth wasting a season as back up when he'll probably play 6-7 cup games, most of which are likely to be against non-PL opposition.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I seem to be the only person on NSC that thinks that cashing in on Rushworth is a good idea if the price is right. It looks almost certain that Bart is our number-one keeper, and he's a year younger than Rushworth. There's literally no point in having Rushworth wasting a season as back up when he'll probably play 6-7 cup games, most of which are likely to be against non-PL opposition.
"If the price is right" - and there's the rub. A potential high level PL GK he may well be, but as a GK with no top level credentials, he won't attract top level bidders, or command the top level price which would make selling him qualify as a success. Sell on clause - yeh, OK, maybe that's the best we can hope for, but it's not ideal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
"If the price is right" - and there's the rub. A potential high level PL GK he may well be, but as a GK with no top level credentials, he won't attract top level bidders, or command the top level price which would make selling him qualify as a success. Sell on clause - yeh, OK, maybe that's the best we can hope for, but it's not ideal.
I don't think 20m is unrealistic. Would there be many complaints if we added that to the Undav fee and brought in a 40m midfielder for net cost of £0 and the loss of 2 players that weren't even in last year's squad?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm with you if the price is right. Also think that the opportunity of a year's loan would be fantastic for Rushworth, B&HA and Ipswich.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think 20m is unrealistic. Would there be many complaints if we added that to the Undav fee and brought in a 40m midfielder for net cost of £0 and the loss of 2 players that weren't even in last year's squad?
£20M would probably be a 'right' price - but no-one is likely to pay that.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Whatever the question, Steele is not the answer.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't like to see young English players being sold. We should be trying to develop them and give them a chance. Pretty sure Tony Bloom once said he'd love a first eleven that was fully English home grown. That seems a millions mile away with our incoming signings predominantly from abroad (unless they are 30+) so the only chance of that is keeping the English ones we have developed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here