Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff City in the shit...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
With £120m Bloom has spent, is the Premier League a must? You cannot recoup that sort of money in the Championship, that's for sure, no matter how many season tickets, pints and pies you sell. The money just isn't there.

Thats just not true. The money TB has invested is effectively a mortgage loan against a stadium repayable over 25 years. More than manageable in the Championship if you run everything else sensibly and even if its not repaid there is a massive asset remaining. Cardiff are in the crap because they have a £30m loan being called in in 3 years time by Sam Hamman, and another new owner who is effectively just layering up more and more debt on top that he will want back short term by getting the club promoted to sell on at a profit.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
harsh, cant compare him yet. it was just an observation that Tan does has the resources to follow through. this is questioned in some quarters, many of the other clubs in trouble have owners who dont appear to have the money they claim.

Not saying he is anything like him, just making the point that a wealthy owner doesn't necessarily mean a good owner. Sometimes, it just means you have a greedy bloke in charge, who has no connection to the area, let alone the team and is just seeing it as another opportunity to earn some money.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Find it stunning, that at this club of all clubs, there are some supporters who find this funny...

Have we forgotten so quickly?

Too many JCLs

...while they did have a language once,the current welsh they speak is pretty much made up and they should stop it.

I know this is a side issue but where on earth did you get that nonsense from? Modern Welsh is very similar to old Welsh - Y Gododdin, written in the 7th century can be read today, that's not the case with English (as anyone who's struggled with Beowulf will attest)

Hmm, just continuing this theme, is there anything in place to prevent an International version of MK Dons? While I think the owners are really just in to create debt owed to themselves, and will then bog off demanding to be paid (a la Pompey), if they were to invest in players to get them promoted, is there anything to stop them relocating the team to Malaysia, while retaining newly won Premiership status?

The original plan was for Wimbledon to locate to Dublin, the FA stopped it. I'm pretty sure that FIFA would not allow clubs to base themselves anywhere.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Thats just not true. The money TB has invested is effectively a mortgage loan against a stadium repayable over 25 years. More than manageable in the Championship if you run everything else sensibly and even if its not repaid there is a massive asset remaining. Cardiff are in the crap because they have a £30m loan being called in in 3 years time by Sam Hamman, and another new owner who is effectively just layering up more and more debt on top that he will want back short term by getting the club promoted to sell on at a profit.

Sorry, it was a question, not a statement. It's a lot of money to pay back, considering you also have to run a competitive football club. And judging by the players being signed at the moment, I think the wage structure is being stretched beyond what it was last season. Unless free transfers with higher wages is the way forward.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not only is Gus a freak for teaching his players to play football it would appear Tony Bloom is a freak for stating he will not gamble with the clubs future.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The original plan was for Wimbledon to locate to Dublin, the FA stopped it. I'm pretty sure that FIFA would not allow clubs to base themselves anywhere.

True, and I would certainly hope that was the case, but I wondered if there were any rules, that couldn't be conveniently ignored if someone waved enough cash under the noses of the EPL, who would dearly love "International" fixtures. Don't forget all the knicker-wetting that went on when there was talk of a 39th game staged in a country where team would like to sell more shirts..

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Sorry, it was a question, not a statement. It's a lot of money to pay back, considering you also have to run a competitive football club. And judging by the players being signed at the moment, I think the wage structure is being stretched beyond what it was last season. Unless free transfers with higher wages is the way forward.

At the Amex Season Ticket sales are approx £10m min p.a I would say, then sponsorship, retail, hospitality, transfer sales all on top. There is more than a decent opportunity to operate the club sensibly and pay down a mortgage loan. That is 100% why I believe new commercial people have been brought into the club. Of course the aim is Premiership football but on a sound basis and I would hope not in a way that a subsequent relegation would spell ruin. The warning signs are all around for the club to see what happens if you do it the wrong way.

Ultimately, and this might be controversial, but I wouldnt be entirely suprised if TB is looking to get the club established in the Prem and then sell the club at a big profit. He is a businessman after all. There certainly seems to be demand for football clubs still and we are set up beautifully to be a Russian or Middle Eastern rich mans play thing.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I feel for the Cardiff fans, Hamamm, Ridsdale and now this clown Tan, what a nightmare. I hope they can dig themselves out of this, but it looks like another investor willing to buy out Tan is the only solution.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Ultimately, and this might be controversial, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if TB is looking to get the club established in the Prem and then sell the club at a big profit. He is a businessman after all. There certainly seems to be demand for football clubs still and we are set up beautifully to be a Russian or Middle Eastern rich mans play thing.

Tony Bloom is a genuine 100% Albion fan. There is no way in the world he would sell Brighton & Hove Albion to anybody except another 100% genuine Albion fan. He's in it for the long haul and knows with a sustainable business model, he will get his money back and the club will be successful for years to come. He isn't going anywhere.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ultimately, and this might be controversial, but I wouldnt be entirely suprised if TB is looking to get the club established in the Prem and then sell the club at a big profit. He is a businessman after all. There certainly seems to be demand for football clubs still and we are set up beautifully to be a Russian or Middle Eastern rich mans play thing.

Circumstances can obviously change, but TB has publically stated that the next chairman of BHAFC will be his son.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Tony Bloom is a genuine 100% Albion fan. There is no way in the world he would sell Brighton & Hove Albion to anybody except another 100% genuine Albion fan. He's in it for the long haul and knows with a sustainable business model, he will get his money back and the club will be successful for years to come. He isn't going anywhere.

You know that 100% do you? If so how? I dont for one second think he has anything other than our interests at heart but there is no way you can be entirely certain what he will do in the future.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I feel for the Cardiff fans, Hamamm, Ridsdale and now this clown Tan, what a nightmare. I hope they can dig themselves out of this, but it looks like another investor willing to buy out Tan is the only solution.

It comes to something when it appears that out of those three, only Ridsdale managed to REDUCE the debt.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Circumstances can obviously change, but TB has publically stated that the next chairman of BHAFC will be his son.

Oh tremendous! I honestly haven't seen that anywhere before. That will be a 4th generation of the family, we do indeed have a DYNASTY on our hands.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
What a shocking state of affairs.

On the one hand I feel sorry for the Bluebird fans, because that sounds so reminiscent of the dark days at the Goldstone (minus any actual dialogue with our board)
But on the other hand, like Pompeyscum, you didn't hear those fans complaining when all the money was being spent buying them a cup final place did you?

At least we will be able to wear our Blue & White stripes in Cardiff this year for the first time since the 2004 Play Off Final

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here