Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff City in the shit...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Last time I checked, they didn't give a shit about anyone but themselves!

Anyone else....bar palace! I would sympathise

I pretty sure they were represented at Fans United. Regardless, clubs being screwed over by dodgy owners should be everyone's concern just as long as the fans of said club are willing to fight ( unlike Pompey ).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's amazing, so often in these stories, is how the hero turns out to be a villain. Sam Hamman was absolutely idolised by Cardiff fans not so long ago.

It's another example as to why, as a group of supporters, we should never stop asking questions about those who have custody of our club. It's not being cynical, distrusting or disrespectful to make sure that the Albion is being looked after properly.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I feel very sorry for Cardiff Fans, I really hope all the money we are spending now isnt being spent on the gamble that we make the Premiership.

Reading the write up, makes me feel very uncomfortable and can only see more issues like this occuring in the next few years.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Don't expect that any of this will stop Cardiff from bidding big money for Craig Noone or anyone else they want - they are completely in last chance saloon now and will literally go for broke to get promotion this season without any thought for the consequence of failure. If they don't go up this year they will simply take a minor points penalty and start again debt free next year.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
They should save their money by not going to home games and only going aware, a month of that the board would panic and listen to them

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I feel very sorry for Cardiff Fans, I really hope all the money we are spending now isnt being spent on the gamble that we make the Premiership.

Reading the write up, makes me feel very uncomfortable and can only see more issues like this occuring in the next few years.

With £120m Bloom has spent, is the Premier League a must? You cannot recoup that sort of money in the Championship, that's for sure, no matter how many season tickets, pints and pies you sell. The money just isn't there. As Cardiff are finding out, they'd have to put their prices up to an astonishing level. TV money alone was worth £31m to each club in 2011, and will only be more with the new Sky deal, compare that to the £2.6m each team in the Championship gets.

It's a massive gamble, and one this guy seems to be taking to get them in the up. He needs to really.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Don't expect that any of this will stop Cardiff from bidding big money for Craig Noone or anyone else they want - they are completely in last chance saloon now and will literally go for broke to get promotion this season without any thought for the consequence of failure. If they don't go up this year they will simply take a minor points penalty and start again debt free next year.

Except, like portsmouth, they won't be debt free, they'll still owe hamman and tam, so they'll screw over local businesses and other suppliers and then run up more debts as they are still saddled with an unsustainable debt they can't be rid of, even with multiple administrations (cf portsmouth again)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Thought I'd add: I'm anti-welsh and I think cardiff should play in their own league unless the welsh are prepared to accept wales is in no way a country and that while they did have a language once,the current welsh they speak is pretty much made up and they should stop it.

That said I would still heartily support any action they take and hope they have a viable future.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Looks like the owners have a masterplan to create an FC Malaysia(cardiff) in the Premier League, which they market and control TV rights to in Asia. I'm sure they'd really like to play home matches over there, but they'll have to settle for showpiece summer friendlies instead.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That makes for extremely depressing reading, the fans are being seriously screwed over. It's easy to say you don't give a shit about Cardiff (Palace or Pompey) but I'm sure we all know fans of at least one of those clubs, the fans do not bring this crap on themselves, this is done by woefully inept people running the clubs. Sadly the most woefully inept of them all in the game are the FA. What sort of an association does not monitor its members to ensure they all are viable, sustainable and sensible?

I can see Cardiff sliding down the leagues very quickly if a miracle does not happen in the next few months. The money will be pulled, the players will leave, but there seems to be no way of shifting that debt, it just gets bigger and bigger. Thank God we had the likes of DK, Derek Chapman and FBS amongst others at our darkest times to selflessly pump personal money into the Albion to keep our heads above water, and of course TB for his passion for the club. I hope we continue in a sustainable fashion, only spending money we have (includng what TB gives us).

Good luck to Cardiff fans, you're going to need it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
surly if cardiff city resign from the englisg league system, and join the welsh league they would be garenteed champions league footbal within 2 years ?

How would 2 seasons in the welsh league sustain the club long enough for 1 match in the champions league qualifying rounds and besides they one match would be worth next to nothing.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Oh dear, they are in the poo big time. This is sounding very much like Pompey and Blackburn, with foreign owners who never seen to appear, but just proclaim to be resiolving teh debt, but then leave being owed loads themselves, as well as the previous debts still in existance.

I certainly do "give a shit" on this one, as this is far closer to what we went through than Pompey or Rangers, for example. They have been run roughshod over by owners who haven't delivered a series of "good times" over and beyond what they seemingly could afford. The astronimical size of debt is a result of owners raping the club, and I fear it's continuing to happen with the current guys.

Not all clubs in financial peril are the same, and while I have minimal sympathy for Pompey and Rangers, I do truly feel for fans of Cardiff and Blackburn.

I'm 100% with this sentiment. Although their fans can be larey (sp?), there would have been many many people sitting in that room, and more at home, feeling like we did. Someone who is not in front of them is taking away something very important to them. I have a horrible feeling that that this is not the darkest hour for Cardiff fans, especially if they don't make the top 2 - which they most likely will not. Blackburn too. It will be a miracle for them to return to the prem, I think they're most likely to go the way of Pompey.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Thought I'd add: I'm anti-welsh and I think cardiff should play in their own league unless the welsh are prepared to accept wales is in no way a country and that while they did have a language once,the current welsh they speak is pretty much made up and they should stop it.

That said I would still heartily support any action they take and hope they have a viable future.

What would you do with Wales then? Call it England?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they are proper f***ed arent they?

but then, this Vincent Tan chap is proper wealthy so presumably he has the money and also the business nous for this silly rebrand. seems like the owner is trying to get into the Premiership on the cheap, upon which his red-shirted Cardiff Dragons will probably go down a storm.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Looks like the owners have a masterplan to create an FC Malaysia(cardiff) in the Premier League, which they market and control TV rights to in Asia. I'm sure they'd really like to play home matches over there, but they'll have to settle for showpiece summer friendlies instead.

Hmm, just continuing this theme, is there anything in place to prevent an International version of MK Dons? While I think the owners are really just in to create debt owed to themselves, and will then bog off demanding to be paid (a la Pompey), if they were to invest in players to get them promoted, is there anything to stop them relocating the team to Malaysia, while retaining newly won Premiership status?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As, relatively speaking, was Bill Archer!

harsh, cant compare him yet. it was just an observation that Tan does has the resources to follow through. this is questioned in some quarters, many of the other clubs in trouble have owners who dont appear to have the money they claim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here