Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cappello resigns (merged)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It's undermining if the captain you selected is removed from post without you being involved in the process. It would apply whether you were in charge of the England team of the local refuse collection but that seems to go over your head. Never mind.

Undermining - but not the end of the world. Capello is paid enough by his employers to take a bit of undermining without throwing his toys from the pram.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Why appoint a manager at all? The FA obviously want to pick the team and decide the captaincy themselves.

It is the right thing not to have a Captain under a charge of racism. The FA have done the right thing - you can disagree on how it was done - but most people I suspect would think it is the right thing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You draw your comparisons to other job situations. I can't help thinking, though, that the role the FA has played is most similar to that of a revising chamber, such as the House of Lords.

Just like Capello acting with his narrow concerns of the England football team, a Prime Minister in the House of Commons will often help pass a Bill with narrow party political concerns that he knows the House of Lords, with its expertise and ability to act from broader considerations, can make amendments to or even vote down if they think it is severely misguided. A PM who is accepting that that simply is the system of Parliament he operates within will not be left with the experience of being undermined. He will accept that that's the way it is. If he couldn't accept it, he should never have applied for election as MP in the first place. The system was like that before he became MP, and it continued to be like that during the time he serves. No one forced him to be in the House of Commons. What Capello has done is akin to being appointed PM, knowing that the job has limits to its power, and then getting uppity, acting like he's 'Il Duce' with boundless power.

There are many ways he could have responded to the situation. He could have been accepting that the FA had wider considerations, such as the national image of the game, commercial implications of having an England captain dealing with a racism court case, and acting consistently with ACAS guidelines. He could even have been appreciative that they cared enough to meet up over it, however misguided he may think their decision. Instead, feeling undermined is a creation that he brought to the situation.

I still don't know what planet you are from!!!! You spout off as if the FA are the arbiters of what is right. You don't seem to consider that Bernstein engineered this outcome. Ask yourself this, if the FA are claiming the moral high ground, why did they not sack Terry in December when he was charged with the offence rather than wait to see when the court case was going to be held. And also why did they not included in their meeting the man who appointed Terry and is in all effect his line manager. By not doing that, Bernstein would have known he was undermining Capello. As for comparing it with the House of Lords, you are aware that the Government can still force through a bill even if the Lords voted against it!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I still don't know what planet you are from!!!! You spout off as if the FA are the arbiters of what is right. You don't seem to consider that Bernstein engineered this outcome. Ask yourself this, if the FA are claiming the moral high ground, why did they not sack Terry in December when he was charged with the offence rather than wait to see when the court case was going to be held. And also why did they not included in their meeting the man who appointed Terry and is in all effect his line manager. By not doing that, Bernstein would have known he was undermining Capello. As for comparing it with the House of Lords, you are aware that the Government can still force through a bill even if the Lords voted against it!

Without getting involved in your rant - I listened to the Times Podcast - and Marcotti thought the question that Capello responded where his feelings came public was planted by Capello (and I assume his advisers). I suspect Capello was doing some engineering of his own - and is quite happy with the outcome.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Pearce would be a depressing appointment even on a temporary basis. The U21s play some awful shite kick and rush football.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I agree that as manager Capello should have been made aware in advance that the FA would suspend Terry as Captain until the racism court case is resolved and should have been present when Terry was informed. However it's interesting that Capello's eccentric style may have contributed to him not being in the loop. I find it bizarre that such a highly paid professional avoids using the telephone and relied too much on translators rather than learn the language. I suspect that Capello was given a chance to resign or the FA would terminate his contract. I admire the FA for being decisive (for a change) a) with Terry and b) Capello, hope this continues.

On the other hand I'm not sure that Spurs will release Harry immediately as surely they will feel he has unfinished business at Spurs and especially after they stood by him through his own investigation and court case. They are entitled to expect some loyalty from Harry but then Harry hasn't got a good record in this respect. I would imagine that Harry would at least want to qualify Spurs for the Champs Lge and then maybe move on. So it will be a caretaker England manager until after the Euros?

Maybe the FA would offer Spurs some financial compensation that could in turn allow them to fund a contract for a big name as replacement manager (ie Mourinho or Hiddink?). Not sure Spurs have the transfer budget to satisfy Mourinho, more likely to go for Hughton. As long as it's not Gus. The plot thickens.

Although I don't quite see Harry as the automatic appointment or messiah for England that many wish I would be intrigued to see if / how quickly he would clear out the old guard of Terry/Lampard/Ferdinand and if he keeps Beckham away because I fear that player power has undermined the England manager. My fear is that while Harry's strength is to make them feel the love, this makes him too cosy with some of them.

If Harry does take decisive action and select his squad on footballing form rather than sentiment then he will be more respected for it. Would be good to see him create a positive environment in which the emerging youngsters could thrive. That would revive my flagging enthusiasm for England.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Without getting involved in your rant - I listened to the Times Podcast - and Marcotti thought the question that Capello responded where his feelings came public was planted by Capello (and I assume his advisers). I suspect Capello was doing some engineering of his own - and is quite happy with the outcome.

I think you're still missing the general point that I was making in that it was Bernstein that engineered the situation to which Capello responded. So even if Capello did 'plant' the question, the outcome is still what Bernstein was aiming for.

I agree that as manager Capello should have been made aware in advance that the FA would suspend Terry as Captain until the racism court case is resolved and should have been present when Terry was informed. However it's interesting that Capello's eccentric style may have contributed to him not being in the loop. I find it bizarre that such a highly paid professional avoids using the telephone and relied too much on translators rather than learn the language. I suspect that Capello was given a chance to resign or the FA would terminate his contract. I admire the FA for being decisive (for a change) a) with Terry and b) Capello, hope this continues. Deciisive? It took them over two months from the time Terry was charged with the offence before they decided to sack him. Right outcome from the Terry perspective but hardly decisive!!!! As for Capello, you're not going to tell me the FA had no way of contacting their manager to invite him to the meeting.

On the other hand I'm not sure that Spurs will release Harry immediately as surely they will feel he has unfinished business at Spurs and especially after they stood by him through his own investigation and court case. They are entitled to expect some loyalty from Harry but then Harry hasn't got a good record in this respect. I would imagine that Harry would at least want to qualify Spurs for the Champs Lge and then maybe move on. So it will be a caretaker England manager until after the Euros?

Maybe the FA would offer Spurs some financial compensation that could in turn allow them to fund a contract for a big name as replacement manager (ie Mourinho or Hiddink?). Not sure Spurs have the transfer budget to satisfy Mourinho, more likely to go for Hughton. As long as it's not Gus. The plot thickens.

Although I don't quite see Harry as the automatic appointment or messiah for England that many wish I would be intrigued to see if / how quickly he would clear out the old guard of Terry/Lampard/Ferdinand and if he keeps Beckham away because I fear that player power has undermined the England manager. My fear is that while Harry's strength is to make them feel the love, this makes him too cosy with some of them.

If Harry does take decisive action and select his squad on footballing form rather than sentiment then he will be more respected for it. Would be good to see him create a positive environment in which the emerging youngsters could thrive. That would revive my flagging enthusiasm for England.

So on the one hand you ridicule Capello for his apparent lack of communication but you are quite happy for the FA to employ someone who can't text or email!!!!!!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not the first Italian to jump of a stricken ship before it sank.

Personally I see the FA as having done the right thing. Kick racism out.
Liverpool should sack their racist too.

O'Neill or Marinho, and no messing with Harry.

I think he was joining a sinking ship, surely ?

I. Like. This. A. Lot. Very good point well made.

Difference is of course is that, unlike Redknapp, Capello hasn't had his mates in the press touting him for the job for years, like some messiah in waiting. The portions of humble pie to be consumed in Fleet Street if he doesn't pull up any trees like just about all his predecessors will be sizable.

And don't forget, Capello hasn't got that British Bulldog spirit we so need :facepalm: We need the likes of Allardyce and Shearer in there, nevermind a successful track record at the highest level.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think you're still missing the general point that I was making in that it was Bernstein that engineered the situation to which Capello responded. So even if Capello did 'plant' the question, the outcome is still what Bernstein was aiming for.

Which most people are happy with (including I suspect Capello). A job well done.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4705830 said:
And don't forget, Capello hasn't got that British Bulldog spirit we so need :facepalm: We need the likes of Allardyce and Shearer in there, nevermind a successful track record at the highest level.
My take on the whole Capello thing is that his CV read impressively. If only he could have got his England team to read the game as impressively as his CV reads.

However, seeing as he was paid up to £6m a year for 4 years, was it too much to ask of him to actually learn the language properly so that he could communicate to the players and press alike? I am more bitter at the disregard he showed the nation by speaking in woeful pidgen English a full 2 years after taking up the post. Not a sign of committment.

As for the manager, I'm past caring, but hopefully the FA will realise that paying £6m a year or £50k to polish a turd isn't going to make a blind bit of difference - it will still be a turd.

Call me when Howard Wilkinson's grass roots proposals are properly considered. Until them, mark me down as meh.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
It is the right thing not to have a Captain under a charge of racism. The FA have done the right thing - you can disagree on how it was done - but most people I suspect would think it is the right thing.

It is absolutely not the right thing. The FA have made themselves judge & jury and decided that despite no trial being held yet John Terry is guilty.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good to see Stuart Pearce, the man who called Paul Ince an "arrogant black c*nt" on the field, and whose brother is a BNP activist, as caretaker manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here