Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone explain team cycling to me?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
10k, 55 seconds. Not going to do it unless the leaders start watching each other too much

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No info coming is there? Dreadful.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
To a point it is.
This race has been scripted for a sprint finish.
Therefore only the sprinters are likely to win.

GB, Germany, Aus, USA, have good sprinters so it's in there best interests to make it a sprint.

Spain don't hence having 3 in the break.

That makes sense actually, thanks. Long distance tactics really aren't my speciality...

This makes me think of that thread a few months ago about pace setters in long distance track races, like the 800m for example. The thread was about why they do it, why they set the pace without having much of a chance of actually winning the race. Someone then posted a video of a pace setter who decided to go for it, he raced away massively and was a long way clear going into the final lap, I think Steve Ovett was in the same race actually, and he literally died in running but managed to hold on by a split second to win. For me, that's what sport is about. Doing everything in your power to try and win, whatever you're expected to do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How the f*** can it be 56 secs even with that crash!
It shouldn't be.

The Germans should be ashamed of themselves.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Whoever is responsible for the split times and tv captions should be shot, has been dire. The fact the commentators haven't got a clue is ridiculous

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As you saw earlier, they let a group get 6mins ahead without panicking. You need to watch more bike races to understand how it works

Earlier, yes, because they had plenty of time and distance to wind them back in. I understand things happen in a race this distance and that if you declare early to get a lead, you're going to tire and the pack will close. I've watched the whole race live, and listened to the commentary the whole way through because it does fascinate me... mainly because I don't really understand the motivation. It's just my tactical naivety, I do realise that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't realise Southampton were on Chl 5.

Byeeee :wave:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Whoever is responsible for the split times and tv captions should be shot, has been dire. The fact the commentators haven't got a clue is ridiculous

Indeed, you can moan about Mr Murdochs bunch but they know how to present top quality sport!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It shouldn't be.

The Germans should be ashamed of themselves.

Now you see it's precisely statements like that that make me not understand. Simplistic I know, but if GB are not going to win it, it's not the Germans fault, it is because they didn't ride fast enough!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Team GB f*** up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Everyone needs to cheer on Uran.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Now you see it's precisely statements like that that make me not understand. Simplistic I know, but if GB are not going to win it, it's not the Germans fault, it is because they didn't ride fast enough!

I sense a fellow cycling novice. :clap2:

I think we're lacking in tactical understanding. It's typical Olympic fever, sports you don't watch at all come on and you watch it simply because it's the Olympics.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I sense a fellow cycling novice. :clap2:

I think we're lacking in tactical understanding. It's typical Olympic fever, sports you don't watch at all come on and you watch it simply because it's the Olympics.

Got it in one Sir!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
GB and Germany had nobody in the break.
They each have the best sprint, Griepel and Cav.

Germany did nothing to help GB, ie riding fast on the front, saving 20-30% energy of the GB riders.
As 'one' team they could have brought the group back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here