Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone explain team cycling to me?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
that totally confirms to me cycling is not worth watching

I guess as other posters have confirmed its all about whether you understand the sport otherwise never mind the basics but you will miss the subtle nuances and tactics. For example i'm now looking foward to the Table Tennis and yet if you haven't played a decent standard its too easy to dismiss as merely 'Ping Pong' with no appreciation of the incredible spin and speed.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm now looking foward to the Table Tennis and yet if you haven't played a decent standard its too easy to dismiss as merely 'Ping Pong' with no appreciation of the incredible spin and speed.

As preparation for the Olympics (Watching) I arranged a match with a Greek mate of mine, we showed up for a spot of table tennis and decided to play to 21, as was traditional. He asked if I'd played before, and I said I hadn't, so he offered an 11 point headstart, which I thought was nonsense because how hard can it be? And how good can he be?

I lost 21-2. :lolol: For a start, the Greeks play it quite seriously (as it turns out). And to close, the difference between complete novice and someone who knows how to play the game is massive. The spin, the control, the judging of where the ball will bounce, the awareness of the table... It's so much more complex than it seems and I'm really looking forward to watching it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I might be wrong, but it seems to me like we tried to be extremely clever and hide in the midfield for the entire race with the hope that the riders in the leading pack realised that they weren't meant to get the Gold, that Cavendish was. Unfortunately, they never decided to yield and Team GB were too knackered because the cheeky Germans didn't help us to win, which meant they didn't stand a chance either. In other news, some Italian guy seemed to drift off into a world of his own and went straight into a barrier, which looked a tad painful.

Right.

Did the Pelican get a medal?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've had it with cycling now. Right onto archery. How we doing ?

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
it does seem like team GB tried to be all clever and tactical... and in the end some bloke who rode fast won the race :facepalm:

I reckon we'll do better in that comedy cycling they have where one bloke goes really, really, reeeeeeaaaaaaallllllllly slowly then then other one speeds off when he's not looking.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
As preparation for the Olympics (Watching) I arranged a match with a Greek mate of mine, we showed up for a spot of table tennis and decided to play to 21, as was traditional. He asked if I'd played before, and I said I hadn't, so he offered an 11 point headstart, which I thought was nonsense because how hard can it be? And how good can he be?

I lost 21-2. :lolol: For a start, the Greeks play it quite seriously (as it turns out). And to close, the difference between complete novice and someone who knows how to play the game is massive. The spin, the control, the judging of where the ball will bounce, the awareness of the table... It's so much more complex than it seems and I'm really looking forward to watching it.

team GB girl got through earlier (watched it ) good game with 1 defensive player 1 attacking player our girl defending
played in Brighton league for years when i was younger

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I guess as other posters have confirmed its all about whether you understand the sport otherwise never mind the basics but you will miss the subtle nuances and tactics. For example i'm now looking foward to the Table Tennis and yet if you haven't played a decent standard its too easy to dismiss as merely 'Ping Pong' with no appreciation of the incredible spin and speed.

table tennis doubles is INCREDIBLE.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

table tennis doubles is INCREDIBLE.
Lets have a table tennis thread.
But more importantly we NEED a judo one, I have a few questions and I'm not going to fill up this board with 'sub sections' (me me me).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Lets have a table tennis thread.
But more importantly we NEED a judo one, I have a few questions and I'm not going to fill up this board with 'sub sections' (me me me).

Having kicked off a Boxing and Tennis thread, I have the same reason for not posting a new Table Tennis thread! Although watching some weird looking players slug it out at the moment. The Belgian is making the Serbian look pretty pony at the moment. 4-1 in sets.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having kicked off a Boxing and Tennis thread, I have the same reason for not posting a new Table Tennis thread! Although watching some weird looking players slug it out at the moment. The Belgian is making the Serbian look pretty pony at the moment. 4-1 in sets.
I'm currently NSC's answer to Robin Hood.

To hit a ten, it's the equivalent of standing at my seat in the East stand, and hitting a CD being held up in the West Stand.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm currently NSC's answer to Robin Hood.

To hit a ten, it's the equivalent of standing at my seat in the East stand, and hitting a CD being held up in the West Stand.

I spend far too much time following you around sports. I've been watching this for a while, it's really highly skilled but I don't classify it as a sport. It might be one of the original events, but so utterly pointless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's proper nerve jangling stuff.

I love the fact they know instantly if it's good or not.

I might have to go against my own feelings and start 'sub sectioning' like crazy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here