Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign to Slow Down the Singing of GOSBTS.

olliwarne

Aug 12, 2010
Germany
How about letting a smaller group (or everyone singing quietly) start with a nice steady...

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way

then everyone joins in getting louder...

So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Altogether nowwwwwwww

and then it goes mental!!!

Good old Sussex by the sea,
Good old Sussex by the sea
And we're going and we´ll win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

and repeat and fade......

I´ll take this on every day ..!!!Great song + good idea !! :albion1:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
"All together now, Goooooooooood olllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld Sussssexxxxxxxx by the seeeeeeeeeeea", etc etc.

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
Do it tomorrow and see what happens? I'm really up for singing it slower (yes I am guilty of singing it fast but only because everyone else does please don't shoot me) but get it going tomorrow and I will join in

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I'd bloody LOVE to be in a standful of Albion fans at an away game belting that out.
But maybe thats just me.
Not just you, Easy.
Can you imagine the looks on the opposition fans faces if we hollered that out loud and proud. Priceless.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
There are about 60 of us so far signed up for this.
On Saturday, sing low, sing slow.
Should anyone within ear shot go off like a gibbon on speed, just shout "Slower", and give them a hard stare, and of course, carry on singing at the right speed.
I have a feeling that we might be turning the corner here at last.
If us 60, plus whoever else, from now on, only sing low and slow, this should take off, no problem.
I'm looking forwards to Saturday to see how we do on this.
We must not give up.

Any joy with the campaign today?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I know, why doesn't the club assemble a massive choir of Sussex people by inviting allcomers - church ladies, choir boys, choristers, pub singers, us - to a special recording of GOSBTS in the West Stand of the Amex as one of next summer's ramp up events, record the result and play it back on the big screens before the first few matches.

Apart from anything else it would be magnificent PR for the Albion, reaching out to people across the county and emphasising how much an icon of all Sussex the Albion is.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think the best chance is to do it away when all the core singing group is together. Might help to publicise and have a go at 2.50pm before the Charlton game?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A timely bounce just for Mr Naylor.

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND
Not sure if its allready been posted but we had some success with this at Tranmere last Saturday.

:albion1:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Do it tomorrow and see what happens? I'm really up for singing it slower (yes I am guilty of singing it fast but only because everyone else does please don't shoot me) but get it going tomorrow and I will join in

Tomorrow? As in Friday? Think you will be in the minority of one! :p

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There is only ONE WAYof making this work; leaflet EVERYBODY at a big away day (Charlton?) before the game, and sing SLOWLY ourselves, hopefully everyone will follow suit.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
There is only ONE WAYof making this work; leaflet EVERYBODY at a big away day (Charlton?) before the game, and sing SLOWLY ourselves, hopefully everyone will follow suit.
maybe worth a go, but could be difficult to really get to work well... the time all of this will definitely take off into complete marvellousness is when SBTS is played for the crowd sing-a-long as the teams walk out before every game at The Amex...

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This singing race which has taken over most of our songs needs everyone who prefers, just to sing slower.
Shirley more and more people will join the slower singer and slow it down, and it's only a matter of time before it's the norm (excuse the pun)?
It seems there's a lot of H Blockers who are unaware of our campaign.
Anyone here who sits/stands there needs to get invloved.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Bounced. Only just got round to reading this and I fully endorse the campaign.

From what I can tell, it is (very gradually) picking up in popularity...especially the singing of the words. Keep it up, folks!!!

That man is a total legend

Who is this Noel Dumbrell guy? Is he a local celebrity for his pub singing?

So, some people think the words are 'naff''? It's the very fact of those archaic words that lifts Sussex by the Sea, and makes it so special. Those words were sung by thousands of Royal Sussex Regiment soldiers as they encamped at the Goldstone, before entering the Somme trenches, many never to return. It's all part of your heritage as an Albion fan.

Naff words? Who would have thought thousands of big, tough East End dockers singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air"??

Or how about a whole stadium of 90,000 grown-ups singing "Abide with me, fast flows the eventide"?

As far as I recall, nobody ever tries to speed those up.

So, to all those Withdean speed babblers, I'd say just this: If you can take your time over singing all about Gary Hart, what on earth's your problem with our club's fantastic and totally unique anthem?

Try this. Start low, and Sing slow.

(And if you need any help pitching your first der-der-de-ders, the vuvuzela provides exactly the right note. I kid you not.)

Exactly! Spot on!

Going back to the grimsby last game of the season a few years back we had the local bbc radio outside broadcast people round our house for some live broadcast,at one point they wanted a very little rev to sing to a radio audience:facepalm: he sang "good old sussex by the sea good old sussex by the sea,oh were going up to kick palace butt for sussex by the sea":lolol:

:laugh:

You make a fair point.
Personally, I like the song I just feel a few of our younger fans might not be keen on singing it.

Don't be so sure. The younger fans will generally join in with the words, tempo, tone of what they hear from others, just as they did when they first learnt the words and tempo that is currently sung. Have faith...it will work.

I can't be doing with all the "la la la la lar lar lahh" we do instead of the words

It sounds SHIT...sing the words!!

I remember going to England vs. Wales with the Welsh fans behind us in the Stretford end at Old Trampford...They could'nt remember the words to "Men of Harlech" and were doing all this Na Na Nah shit...made them sound like the no heritage mongs they are...we should do better.

I would proudly sing the Gay bit in GOSBTS...even doing a "little tea-pot" pose as I screamed it.

Spot on! Especially the word gay....it's part of the song and part of the age. Besides, there's an amusing irony to that word happening to be in a song associated with the club which I like muchly!!

I'd like to see a full marching band for the first game at Falmer with hymn sheets for everyone.

Absolutely. I like that idea a lot.

The answer my friends is ....

a trumpet or bugler to keep time. Even a drum [gosh what am I saying] could do the job.

Why not....worth a try.

A suggestion, if I may, with your permission, Mr Straw? I think, given his user name, even those of us who don't know what Jack Straw looks like (which can't be too many of us) would be able to identify him. So those of us who want the anthem slowing down should, at the next game at which there's a terrace or unreserved seating, merely ensure we're all more or less in the same section of the terrace as Mr Straw, and sing accordingly. It only takes enough voices singing enough times and it'll slow itself down.

Good idea too....seek out The Straw! Repetition at slow speed will eventually work. Be patient people.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
yes, yes, yes

though I'll be in with the Daggers so may not be partaking in the singing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here