Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign to Slow Down the Singing of GOSBTS.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men we are we:
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Light is the love of a soldier
That's what the ladies say
Lightly he goes a-wooing
Lightly he rides away,
In love and war, we always are
As fair as fair can be,
And a soldier boy is the ladies joy
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

Far o'er the seas we wander
Wide through the world we roam,
Far from the kind hearts yonder
Far from our dear old home,
But never shall we forget my boys
And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

Quite a lot to remember!

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND
Russ informs me that the BHAlbas at Carlisle were singing it at the correct speed with the verses as well albeit with a Scottish lilt :lol:

It was sung slowly with verses (1 & 2) at Carlisle by a few of us and it sounded brilliant.

There was a large group of Scottish lads to our right (right hand side of the standing group) who didn't join in.

Will try again with the verses on Saturday and at Tranmere.

Clapping in tempo to the correct speed seems to help. As much as drums have been shot down on here over the years, a solid drumbeat would act as a metronome and might help keep the tempo down?

Now is the time for marching...

:albion1:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I support the spirit of this campaign 100%. The way our club anthem is sung by our own fans is a total shambles, an embarrassment. No one knows the words, it's sung too fast, and it's always started off far too high, requiring no fewer than TWO emergency key changes en route.

But... it's almost impossible to dragoon people into changing something, once it's become so deeply embedded in so many brains. How come people don't race through and ruin other tunes, like the Oh Gary Hart song, or even Al-bion, Al-bion?

The only answer must be that they actually enjoy doing GOSBTS that way. But why? Anyone?

Now, if we had a decent, loud PA system, and a really good recording of how it should be done...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Trimmed down and altered version then:

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And we're going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

Altogether nowwwwwwww

Good old Sussex by the sea,
Good old Sussex by the sea
And we're going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

and repeat and fade......

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Totally agree. Dunno when this song became a race. Was great to hear the first verse yesterday which I proudly sang along to. Sounds soooooo much better slower. The Gus Poyet My Lord song shows that we can sing slowly.

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009
i dont think it just gosbts that needs slowing, its most of the songs. for example we are brighton used to sound amazing in the north stand but in recent years it has been ruined

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
Signed to this campaign.

But its a tough one. Most of us who ask for this, don't actually start any chants ourselves. (Personally I do at away games but never at Withdean)
It's a bit like not voting in an election, then moaning about the victor.

That said, for the love of god, please lets slow it down.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Much as I love Sussex by the Sea it sounds SHIT nowadays. "Good old sss-sss-sss-sss-sss". Must sound even worse to the opposition fans.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
So, some people think the words are 'naff''? It's the very fact of those archaic words that lifts Sussex by the Sea, and makes it so special. Those words were sung by thousands of Royal Sussex Regiment soldiers as they encamped at the Goldstone, before entering the Somme trenches, many never to return. It's all part of your heritage as an Albion fan.

Naff words? Who would have thought thousands of big, tough East End dockers singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air"??

Or how about a whole stadium of 90,000 grown-ups singing "Abide with me, fast flows the eventide"?

As far as I recall, nobody ever tries to speed those up.

So, to all those Withdean speed babblers, I'd say just this: If you can take your time over singing all about Gary Hart, what on earth's your problem with our club's fantastic and totally unique anthem?

Try this. Start low, and Sing slow.

(And if you need any help pitching your first der-der-de-ders, the vuvuzela provides exactly the right note. I kid you not.)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No.

the words are horribly dated and NAFF.

Slow it down, but for christ sake don't start singing about hearts being gay and ploughing and sewing!

What's gay about farming?!

I have to say I feel largely responsible for it getting so fast as I stared the der der der de der der bi circa 2001. We never had this problem before when it just started with someone screaming "and we're going up" or "all together now".

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
i know this is probably sacrilige but i think the lyrics need updating for the 21st century, i cant see may 13 years olds wanting to sing about letting their hearts be gay or sowing seeds.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Does anyone else think this rendition of GOSBTS by the Hangleton Band is a little too fast also?

[yt]FiIbaKQs2Ww[/yt]

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It looks like we may have lift-off with this?
When GOSBTS is started in the future, just sing it at the slow speed, regardless of anyone around you who may be racing, and see how we progress over the next few weeks.
I will have a real go at getting things together at Tranmere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here