Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign to Slow Down the Singing of GOSBTS.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So, some people think the words are 'naff''? It's the very fact of those archaic words that lifts Sussex by the Sea, and makes it so special. Those words were sung by thousands of Royal Sussex Regiment soldiers as they encamped at the Goldstone, before entering the Somme trenches, many never to return. It's all part of your heritage as an Albion fan.

Naff words? Who would have thought thousands of big, tough East End dockers singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air"??

Or how about a whole stadium of 90,000 grown-ups singing "Abide with me, fast flows the eventide"?

As far as I recall, nobody ever tries to speed those up.

So, to all those Withdean speed babblers, I'd say just this: If you can take your time over singing all about Gary Hart, what on earth's your problem with our club's fantastic and totally unique anthem?

Try this. Start low, and Sing slow.

(And if you need any help pitching your first der-der-de-ders, the vuvuzela provides exactly the right note. I kid you not.)

This.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Trimmed down and altered version then:

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

Altogether nowwwwwwww

Good old Sussex by the sea,
Good old Sussex by the sea
Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup
For Sussex by the sea

and repeat and fade......
Corrected your post for you.

EDIT: Agree with slowing it down though. It just sounds like a drone at the moment.

Last edited:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
i know this is probably sacrilige but i think the lyrics need updating for the 21st century, i cant see may 13 years olds wanting to sing about letting their hearts be gay or sowing seeds.
And while you're about it, hey, how about updating Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem, and Abide with Me?

The comedian and then Albion director Norman Wisdom tried updating Sussex by the Sea in 1965. His lyrics, with lines like "Hove, by Jove, that's us..." and "Albion by the Shore" came from a 1940s mindset. To a 1960s football crowd, his lyrics sounded unintentionally ridiculous, and were never heard again.

Going back to the grimsby last game of the season a few years back we had the local bbc radio outside broadcast people round our house for some live broadcast,at one point they wanted a very little rev to sing to a radio audience:facepalm: he sang "good old sussex by the sea good old sussex by the sea,oh were going up to kick palace butt for sussex by the sea":lolol:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
And while you're about it, hey, how about updating Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem, and Abide with Me?

The comedian and then Albion director Norman Wisdom tried updating Sussex by the Sea in 1965. His lyrics, with lines like "Hove, by Jove, that's us..." and "Albion by the Shore" came from a 1940s mindset. To a 1960s football crowd, his lyrics sounded unintentionally ridiculous, and were never heard again.

You make a fair point.
Personally, I like the song I just feel a few of our younger fans might not be keen on singing it.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really like THIS verse

Far o'er the seas we wander
Wide through the world we roam,
Far from the kind hearts yonder
Far from our dear old home,
But never shall forget my boys
And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the sea.

Perfect for singing after journeying to an away ground at some god-forsaken far flung hovel at the arse-end of the country.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm am so all over this it's not even funny. I think if JS said no more falmer photos until we slow down GOSBTS we'd have it cracked in no time!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I can't be doing with all the "la la la la lar lar lahh" we do instead of the words

It sounds SHIT...sing the words!!

I remember going to England vs. Wales with the Welsh fans behind us in the Stretford end at Old Trampford...They could'nt remember the words to "Men of Harlech" and were doing all this Na Na Nah shit...made them sound like the no heritage mongs they are...we should do better.

I would proudly sing the Gay bit in GOSBTS...even doing a "little tea-pot" pose as I screamed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here