Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calm down dear

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is there any point to PMQs?

I turn on the news to find out about the issues of the day and see the headlines are all about this stupid "sexist" row.

What is the f***ing point of politicians? Can anyone seriously tell me?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Difference to what ?

I was simply suggesting that his advisers won't be happy.

Ultimately politicians are there to run government for as long as possible. This won't lose any votes. It may even appeal to many. Turning the economy around will win votes not being tied in a straight jacket so you can't make a joke now and again.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Most people are simply preoccupied trying to make a living out of this economic mess we find ourselves in. They can't even be arsed to get into the spirit with the Royal Wedding, and that IS quite a big deal. So why the f*** would anyone give two shits about CMD and his "calm down dear" comments?

It's just plain DULL.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ultimately politicians are there to run government for as long as possible. This won't lose any votes. It may even appeal to many. Turning the economy around will win votes not being tied in a straight jacket so you can't make a joke now and again.

I think in reality image is very important to politicians these days, which is a shame.

They target particular groups - especially around election time. Like every Prime minister he will be surrounded by people who make a living out of it.

If Cameron isn't concerned with his image, why on earth did he hang onto Andy Coulson for so long ?

His advisers will be worried about it's potential effect on the female vote and will have a word.

Whether his has an effect or not in reality to his popularity is irrelevant to my argument, his advisers will not be happy.

At least the Telegraph reports the row by giving proper respect to women.

Telegraphs-Lucy-Jones-ask-007.jpg

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
For anybody on here debating this, to understand exactly how this will be perceived you need to look at the faces around Cameron when he said it.

Osborne looks like a baying hyena whilst Clegg looks very very uncomfortable even to the point of having to scratch an itch which body language experts say is a 'tell' of lack of comfort. It did not land well and will polarise opinion best as is clear on he where the fairly vocal Tory supporters have defended and the usually vocal labour supporters have criticised it. It's how it plays in the middle ground, and area that Clegg knows well, which will count and his reaction seems to give a view of that.

It also needs to be remembered the context that this came in. Cameron was quoting a letter by a former labour mp who is a gp, stating that his gp colleagues supported the nhs reforms. He started by referring to him as an ex labour mp who lost his seat at the last election and Angela Eagle corrected him by saying he stood down. It was at that point that the 'calm down dear' line was uttered and the barracking started.

It will be perceived by many as patronising, the leader of mumsnet has said that herself based on feedback from her members. It was a poor choice of a line and will be jumped upon as a sign that Cameron's mask is slipping. Anybody who has worked with him especially when he was at ITV will tell you that this is the real him rather that the carefully stage managed Cameron we have seen for the last couple of years. Since Coulson has left these real moments are coming more frequently.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I genuinely forgot the labour leaders name for a moment he is so anonymous. I hear he is having an operation on his voice though so he can talk properly?

And this explains why public perception is important. You have formed an opinion and therefore your view of him and events is colourded by that. The operations is to cure sleep apnoea which is potentially fatal. Of course you perceive this to be to get his voice sorted. No discussion on substance, or policy or record when in office.

You have just proved Clapham's point for him

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
For anybody on here debating this, to understand exactly how this will be perceived you need to look at the faces around Cameron when he said it.

Osborne looks like a baying hyena whilst Clegg looks very very uncomfortable even to the point of having to scratch an itch which body language experts say is a 'tell' of lack of comfort. It did not land well and will polarise opinion best as is clear on he where the fairly vocal Tory supporters have defended and the usually vocal labour supporters have criticised it. It's how it plays in the middle ground, and area that Clegg knows well, which will count and his reaction seems to give a view of that.

It also needs to be remembered the context that this came in. Cameron was quoting a letter by a former labour mp who is a gp, stating that his gp colleagues supported the nhs reforms. He started by referring to him as an ex labour mp who lost his seat at the last election and Angela Eagle corrected him by saying he stood down. It was at that point that the 'calm down dear' line was uttered and the barracking started.

It will be perceived by many as patronising, the leader of mumsnet has said that herself based on feedback from her members. It was a poor choice of a line and will be jumped upon as a sign that Cameron's mask is slipping. Anybody who has worked with him especially when he was at ITV will tell you that this is the real him rather that the carefully stage managed Cameron we have seen for the last couple of years. Since Coulson has left these real moments are coming more frequently.

Why on earth does 3 little words warrant such a lengthy reponse. I think its firmly in the "Labour has to pick on every little thing it can" camp at the moment, tis the only way it would get a word in..

Frankly I found it funny, and so should a lot of other people.

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
harmans face was a picture. now cameron is a total cnt but my enemies enemy is my friend and all that. can you think of anything more incendiary to her than some slightly patronising and sexist comments. you could stab a puppy in front of her and she wouldnt take as much umbrage.

pmqs is a knockabout farce and bercow was embarrassed - i would guess a shake up of all this silliness is just round the corner.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

It is about intent. It was intended to belittle. It is a comment that says "the grown-ups are speaking now" - this is not a place for you.

And three words can be most offensive - so I am not sure why it is surprising three words generate a lenghty response. Especially when it is attempting to put them into context.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Why on earth does 3 little words warrant such a lengthy reponse.

Because it's modern politics and things like these win and lose you votes. You're not offended by it which is great, but others are. And you're deluding yourself if you think that Cameron takes this lightly too - patronising a woman over being corrected on a point of fact. Not good.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.'
Churchill :thumbsup:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Why on earth does 3 little words warrant such a lengthy reponse. I think its firmly in the "Labour has to pick on every little thing it can" camp at the moment, tis the only way it would get a word in..

This. Noisy losers YET again and ROSM is the worst. The economy is growing and labour need something to shoot at. This reverse snobbery is a joke too. He said 'calm down dear' because he went to Eton? Do f*** off

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Difference to what ?

It's one of those lines given to a politician by a script writer, part of his kit bag if you like. Thatcher was terrible at delivering them (remember), especially when they referred to popular culture.

So his advisers will be pissed off, they've given him a bullet and he has fired it at the wrong moment.

That is because Thatcher said what she thought,did her thing and got results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here