Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon leaving to go to Southampton [merged]

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Gus would probably have been given an open cheque to offer him a huge contract IF he thought he was worth it. He is obviously comfortable to let him go, I am sure he'll find a worthy replacement

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Next season please when we play Southampton can someone organise for heaps of people to bring along inflatable dogs with the name Calderon written on the side just so he knows we think he's a dog.

And every time he touches the ball everyone woofs.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
İbrahim Tatlıses;3492247 said:
Let's be honest, if his name was "Paul Smith" nobody would give a shit about him leaving.

He was decent, but he had a flair name. Other than that he is just an average league one full back.

I see what you have done there. :lol:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It's a shame and I am pissed off but it's not like we're losing a 25 goal a striker. I think we'll be able to replace him without too much difficulty.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
İbrahim Tatlıses;3492247 said:
Let's be honest, if his name was "Paul Smith" nobody would give a shit about him leaving.

He was decent, but he had a flair name. Other than that he is just an average league one full back.

Thats the spirit.

We'd have aloved it if you would have signed, but now you havent, your an averager league one player, good riddance.

:lolol:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Southampton's turnover is always going to be much higher than ours but I didn't think they were out of the financial MIRE just yet.

At least we have stability.

Hope he bankrupts them

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I hope he sits on the bench at saints.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Not necessarily

Poyet's interview suggests so.

"I want to thank Calde because he helped us a lot.

"Unfortunately I'm very disappointed because he has chosen to wait for an offer from Southampton and not to sign for us with everything agreed.

"The disappointment is big. Everything was agreed.

"It was only the contract to sign but he decided to wait for a possible offer from another club in this division.

"The club is Southampton, who we cannot compete with.

"We clarified a few weeks ago that if somebody thinks we are the Chelsea or Manchester City in the division, we are not. That is Southampton.

"If they are going to buy the players and pay more than the rest there is nothing we can do about it.

"We have withdrawn the offer.

"We don't accept players agreeing contracts and not signing.

"We are a proper club and he had until midnight yesterday but the offer is gone and he is not going to be our player.

"I can promise you that.

jjt1976

Dec 29, 2009
I wish him all the best yes would have loved to have kept him but and the end of day if you are offered more money to do the same job then you are gonna take it,I know o would.I'm sure if gus really really wanted him to sign then they would have had more negotiations,I'm sure gus has some other amazing player in mind to replace him plus i think hoyte has been brilliant the past 3 games and I could see him being our right back next season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Southampton are now financed bya Swiss billionaire so will be able to compete with anybody on wages etc.

I think this is more a cse of Gus getting the hump because he wanted to talk to Southampton so obviously wasnt sold on us.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Let's not get too down about this folks. Yes Calde played well for us. However, given the choice between Calde and Painter I would have chosen Painter every time. Painter is quality and still at the begining of his career whereas Calde is coming towards the end. It is much harder to find a quality left back than a right back. There are loads of right backs around. Trust me, the signing of Painter is much more significant. If Calde isn't committed to the cause i'm not bothered about him going.

My one worry is that Painter may reconsider his decision to sign. As far as I know he is only on a pre-contract agreement which is pretty much meaningless so until he signs on the dotted line on July 1st he can still walk away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here